Cambian - The Strobe Scratch

Jimmy

most of the bad stuff is edited out. DV hug

on a serious note. if anyone wants to develop this to make it funky/ better, please do. thats half the reason i posted.

Word! That's why people should post up videos like this. The reason the scratch scene is/was so good is because people share and develop ideas so the collective scene improves. I think i'll be able to do them in time using Chris's twiddle method. If i get them I'll post a vid with hand control variants.

Much love

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that matt and chris are being a bit pernickity with this. There really was no need to lay into this cut like that. Its only one cut and I think its sounds cool. I get really annoyed by people going on about funky cuts like its the only way. Even though the style they are on about has been done before and is quite frankly played out. Even still the sanctimonious bullshit about funky vs technical rambles on as usual. We all know that its a mixture of the 2 that prevails like d styles and its not as if you can just magically have funk to your cuts you must practice them first.

I appreciate someone having the enthusiasm for the artform to share his thoughts. I also appreciate constructive criticism, however I fell that such criticism should be laced with appreciation for the fact that someone is giving you something to consider whether you like it or not!

Matt and Chris .......shame on ye! :d

Whoa there nelly... I think you've gotten a bit carried away with the old profiling there :rolleyes: All I'm saying is that not all ideas are good ideas. I wouldn't advocate using your dick to do needle drops either.

Your twiddles comment *is* steeped in irony, right?!

Camb...

Are you basically doing fast transforms by tensing your arm muscles?

If so try moving your hand to a grip more like you do for other scratches cos you'll be able to do combos better. It might be harder to "strobe" but probably worth it if you can do it

I can't do it on the fader but I can drill the record that fast and keep it bang on time so it should be do-able.

I don't know what's been going on with the editing and what not but jumping on someone for sharing a technique they're working on is pretty bad form IMO

Easy men. At Jimmy, This scratch was invented like 25 years ago by some bloke called jazzy jeff. Lol. It's transforming but you are trying to do it super fast. Only trouble is that transforming doesn't really lend it's self to being done that fast well. It gets sloppy at that speed and that is why people do flares instead (Easier to keep tight).

Mix master mike did used to do it that fast though. I think he called it fader uzis or something though.

Good effort though man.

I liked it Cambian. Don't listen to Matt, he can't even scratch his nuts.

It did sound like a super fast transform to me.... so I don't know if that warrants a new name but maybe... it also reminds me of that scratch (transform?) that Mix Master Mike does.

Good info on the twiddles tho... that and crabs are basically all I can do, so I'm gonna see if I can emulate this via twiddles at home...

Thanks for posting it!

Sorry what the flipp's gone on here?

I personally like the scratch, coming from a scratch learner perspective. Yeah the clicks are a bit out of time but if it got sharpened up it'd sound ace with that type of backing.

Also I'm not a big fan of technical scratching in general.

thanks guys for looking at the vid! (and coming the to rescue :) )

@ blak randy/ Dirk, yeh i remember you telling me about MMM doing it, altho i couldnt remember any names for it. "strobe" was the closest thing i could think of to describe what i was doing with the fader.

@ j1m, you got it spot on. the scratch is just fast transforms using my arm muscles

@ foly, love.

general comment: the main problem i have when doing this scratch is timing, partly because im probly going too fast, but also it has a length limit. as im tensioning my muscles, after a while they get tired and stop being so reactive (that generally leads to the timing problem) and then i have to concentrate far more on my fader hand instead of generally what im doing. next time i wont practice for so long before i record. i'll keep trying to progress it and see where it goes.

thanks again

EDIT: just watched chris' tiddle vid. i do that scratch quite alot, altho i never knew it was a tiddle. (i need to learn some names)