Cambian - The Strobe Scratch

Jimmy

http://vimeo.com/14934027

basically a video demonstrating the strobe scratch, just a small one so everyone can see it abit more clearly, and see what i've been doing with it.

to be followed up soon with another longer scratch freestyle video.

if you like it could you share it on facebook please, im wanna try and spread this abit.

Thanks & go try it!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on the context. you learn scratches by learning the patterns and techniques, then in a routine, you can make it funky or whatever during that.

but i understand what ur saying as a non scratcher. but the vid isnt for people who dont scratch

A 'controlled spasm' is somewhat an oxymoron, and it sort of shows that you're not in control in the video - the timing of the clicks isn't consistent, and as much as I hate to say it, it's sloppy. I can't really see any application to it, as it's not controlled and you have to shift your entire posture to be able to do it... you can get exactly the same effect, ie, fast and consistent clicks, from twiddles - and with twiddles you still have the control of exactly where to place clicks, plus the ability to go between two and one finger techniques instantaneously. I don't want to sound like a dick, but I've started so I'll finish - I'd really spend some time practicing record control, babies, tears and drags, and move on to slow but precise transforms over the top of these hand movements - whilst it might feel counterproductive to move out of the 'fast lane', so to speak, it will really help your technique. You'll see results in the quality of your general scratching in weeks.

:$

understood Chris & Jon.

it does have more appeal than i've shown, i just didnt want to do a 5 min video of the same fader movement with different records movements.

when i've scratched with people in person the scratch has gone done well, maybe it doesnt work as a sole piece on the web.

again thanks for the crits.

nb - i can and sometimes do do babies, tears and the other slower scratches. but in general i find them abit boring so i stick to what i enjoy, which is generally faster scratching

thanks wax, i fully understand what people are saying, i think my intention wasnt communicated properly.

but anyway,

i'll go away and learn a funkier way of cutting. im gonna start mixing drum and bass again so i need to find away of applying my cuts to that.

thanks. sorry for snapping matt xxx

EDIT: not thats its an excuse but i've had a shit morning at work