Scratch Practice (full 8 mins!)

NozL

Cheers fellas! Much appreciated. I did it back in August after the Scratch Beezy Barbaqueezy and it hadn't gone up anywhere so I thought I'd just post it.

It was the first cutting of that day (and the last :-), so I thought I'd just put the whole file up to show y' what kinds of things I like to try. Fairly simple sounds/patterns at times... but I think they can be just as great as super fast supposedly technical cuts. If you can mix both styles it provides variety and creativity. I love to do what I call the sort of drunken master style at times. Slightly laboured, but then jolts back to precision. (Although it can annoy me when I hear it back at times when I've gone too far/drunk :-)

My favourite scratching is still Camel Bobsled guys!!!:-D

booyah!

Thanks for watchin'

yeh. alot of it reminded of sessions I have had with fidel. its simple for agaes but tight and then out of knowhere some mad next level funky/technical shiz...........and then back to the simple/tight style. I need to get me some of this style! any news on the lansdown/newcastle podcasts?

as for camel bobsled 'word ww wor word ww wor wor word wo wo ww word!' hah hah too good!

more please!

any news on the lansdown/newcastle podcasts?

Rich was supposed to be organising it to start with, and this was supposed to go on it. Maybe he'll get it goin sometime soon.

Nice!

How come I see loads of videos lately with the turntable pitched way down?

Is it a practice thing - does it help in some way?

I pitch it down cos it extends the sample length longer so you have more time with it (Like a caring lover scratch :-). and I reckon it handles better too. That's basically it.

If I post anything again, I won't be doing another 8 minuter I don't think. Maybe 2 or 3 will suffice.

Hmmm, think I'll dust off the QFO and give it a go

Pitched down gives much more control, also if you have records with pitched up samples like Grasshopper breaks on UPR then you pitch them down so they play at normal speed then much smaller movements are need to move around the sample allowing for much faster word/sylable chopping.

Hmmm, think I'll dust off the QFO and give it a go

Pitched down gives much more control, also if you have records with pitched up samples like Grasshopper breaks on UPR then you pitch them down so they play at normal speed then much smaller movements are need to move around the sample allowing for much faster word/sylable chopping.

Yeah I realised that about grasshopper breaks after getting them. 4 beat skipless is 133.3333 bpm so you need a deck with a wide pitch range to reign that back down to hip hop tempo. I figured grasshopper was pitched up to make it 4 beat skipless not because scratching at a slow deck speed was better, hence the question.

I'd debate that lowering the pitch gives you more control, more like it allows you to get away without having as much control surely...?

That's why I was asking if it's a good thing for practising - I'm deffo going to give it a whirl now though :)

I'd debate that lowering the pitch gives you more control, more like it allows you to get away without having as much control surely...?

Yeah, fair point, depends which way you look at it...I give you more control with the records you're scratching but ultimately you need less control to do it. Point is that 33rpm was a number they came up with which is good for scratch, it predates scratching so it's fair assume it's probably not the most comfortable speed to scratch at.

That said, if you cut too long at -50% going back to 33rpm can seem like a bit of a bitch :( so yeah good to practice normally too imho

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
For me, if it's not pitched down you might as well go the full hogg and turn dem turntables back round to horizontal. Pre Cash Money style :-)

hell yeh!!!! thats the best way round anyway!!??

....or is this just me???

turntables "right way" round = best.

...if ur a righty anyway

(old post i know...but fuggit)