Mixer advice Rane 57/pioneer 909

Guest loop skywalker

Guest loop skywalker

Hey fellow disc jockeys.Im thinking about replacing my battered SA 5 which is a cool mixer and all but im looking to upgrade.I want some effects and stuff and a rane 57 looks the way to go,but they can suck me off if they think im going to pay 900 plus for that fucker.I know its quality and all but when you think about pioneer 909 has reaally good effects,im not sure about the robustness of a pioneer though.Then i think...maybe a rane 56 plus a minikaoss pad or some shit like that...what would you fuckers do?

I absolutely love my 909, but I think most people would suggest a 57 to you. Considering you (I assume) scratch a LOT, I think the 57 might be the way to go. If you could easily put an aftermarket fader in the Pioneer I would say otherwise... I have never personally had a prob with the fader and scratch some but mix a lot too... some peeps say it sounds "digital" and I know what they mean, but I've never had an issue with it. I personally don't like the way Rane faders feel over the Pioneer or Pro-x, but I heard the 57 (which I have not used) has a better fader than previous Ranes.

I actually won my 57,and i had just got a 56 prior. i thought i was going to sell that bitch and make a quick G off it untile i tried it. its all gonna depend on what you really think what youre gonna be using it for. the 57 is definitely a savior when it comes to not having to fondle with your SL box. just plug and start playin! the onboard FX are decent enough IMO. only thing with the FX though is when NOT plugged into the laptop you can only use 2 FX(filter,echo) but when plugged in you get the whole array of them(filter,echo,delay,flanger,phaser etc.). i LOVE my 57. i really wish i didnt sell my 56 though.

between 56/57 techinically theyre the exact same shit. and both feel great. my boy has the 707(which im pretty sure has the same faders as 909) and his fader is BUTT-ERRRRR. just a more solid,heavy feeling fader,but none the less feels great on the cut.

i absolutely hate the 909 fader, its one of the worst i've felt in a scratch mixer. it's all preference though...see if you can have a go on each. Angelo's got a 909, and possibly a Rane, may be worth seeing if you can pop over at some point to check em out...

had my 909 for years and it's took a fair beating and the fader is still fine. it does take a little bit of adjustment to make it feel right, at first it has a bit of a focus fader feel, but as it's fully ajustable that can be sorted out.

although, for straight up cutting i still prefer my sa-5.

never used a rane mixer so can't comment.

Guest loop skywalker
The cheapest way of getting a 57 is going to dmcs and winning the f*cker :p

i will put my order in now then switch,you win it and i keep it...deal?

Guest loop skywalker
The cheapest way of getting a 57 is going to dmcs and winning the f*cker :p

LOL how many mixers do you have now man? you must be building a fair collection!

switch now has 89 mixers,he keeps them in all the different countries that he has visited lately to save him carrying too much luggage.....its true ,i read it in viz!

i don't like the 57- i'd prefer an external fx box like a kaoss pad, to be honest. the 57, whilst fun to have a way not to use the laptop to change songs, is such a pain in the arse to do fx with because there are 300 buttons to press and knobs to twiddle between putting an effect on, changing songs, doing whatever, etc, to do what you could do with a normal mixer and a kaoss pad so much easier. maybe it's just me though. actually what i would do, and what i am going to do, is get traktor scratch pro and a midi controller instead, the pre fader fx isn't great obviously but i would still have a kaoss pad over a 57.

just for the sake of argument.

i absolutely hate the 909 fader, its one of the worst i've felt in a scratch mixer. it's all preference though...see if you can have a go on each. Angelo's got a 909, and possibly a Rane, may be worth seeing if you can pop over at some point to check em out...

Did u try and adjust the fader? I didn't like it out the box but once I adjusted it was happy. It doesn't feel like a rane but the cut in is sharper.

I never liked any of the other Pioneer faders...

i've played on a couple of them, and it's the sound as much as the feel, it kinda 'pops'in. I'm just not keen on them, they don't feel like other mixers to me. I'd far rather have a vestax, rane, or ecler than a pioneer.

My mate who bought one still user his technics ex1200 for cutting on.

Get a 57 dude....

Saves on setup time for places where you need to take your own euipment...Plus, the faders are awesome...

Actually mate I've found it makes setting up in other places much harder. Every where I've been and taken it, everyone else whouses their own Serato has tried to plug in direct but can't because they haven't got the 57 drivers installed, so they have to plug their box into the back of the mixer - absolutely pointless. So unless any other Scratch users get their own setup, it makes setting up everything a bit of a pain.

Edited by DJ Switch