Crabbing.

HeyNuts

No Ryan, thank YOU.

Since taking your advice on focusing on my transforms, I've found reason to love scratching all over again. :d

Tis the key to scratching. I'm fed up telling people. Every thing links and flows better when its the biases of your cuts. if you ain't got transforms you just sound like some dood going through his/her techniques one after the other.

No Ryan, thank YOU.

Since taking your advice on focusing on my transforms, I've found reason to love scratching all over again. :d

Tis the key to scratching. I'm fed up telling people. Every thing links and flows better when its the biases of your cuts. if you ain't got transforms you just sound like some dood going through his/her techniques one after the other.

biggest flaw in my cuts are that my transforms aren't funky.... I cut hamster and i can't seem to alter the speed of my timing very well, which I think would be easier with conventional style.

Hard to describe the problem really.... Qbert does transform tears in DIY and his are funky in their timing where as mine are on beat...if that makes sense.

ahhh fuk it.... stupid technique thread..I much prefer gay inuendo threads...post some random shit up Ryan!

I used to practice craabin all the time--it's the only thing I can do well now as a result. I was convinced that if I could craab then I would be an amazing scratcher... but it wasn't the holy grail I thought it was.

• 2 weeks later...
I never crab anymore... one day I'll incorporate them back into my style, but they were hindering me more than helping me when I was doing them before. Easy to make them a crutch for other weaknesses.

I've started to learn them again, but I'm trying to get them down as 3 distinct, clear controlled clicks rather thana "trill"

Most people just brush their fingers past the fader which is the natural thing to do, but I'm starting to get somewhere trying to use a crab motion to do 3 click scratches but at a faster tempo than would be possible otherwise.

It's a really different feeling to just brushing your fingers to break up a stroke. Then when you start trying to co-ordinate record movements to individual clicks it gets a whole lot harder.

So far I can do (when I'm very warmed up, feeling lucky and the planets are aligned) tug jobs, 3 click delayed flares and walking 3 click delayed flares this way, which sounds wicked when I manage to pull them off.

And yes, I will post a file bitchez

Easy to make them a crutch for other weaknesses.

definitely.

I learnt to crab pretty early into my scratch development, and as a consequence didn't spend much time on chirps, flares or transforms to get them nice, so everything i do is fairly sloppy.

if i was god i'd have banned crabs and customs.

I learned crabs after about 3 years of scratching.

I found learning 2 finger twiddles helped me learn how to separate my fingers more when doing crabs. Since learning 2 clickers i can now do crabbed flares (I'm sure there's a proper name for those- like a crab 2 clicker combo).

Used sparingly i think crabs are great.

Real crabs on the other hand scare the shit out of me.

I use them plenty but one thing I cant' do is crabs backwards and forwards consecutively at any pace and cleanly.

Do you mean like crabbing over forward and back drags or moving your fader hand fingers in the reverse pattern?

I mean.

I use them plenty but one thing I cant' do is crabs backwards and forwards consecutively at any pace and cleanly.

Do you mean like crabbing over forward and back drags

Sometimes when I'm really warmed up I can do it ok but not usually. It doesn't really bother me though. I wouldn't really use it anyway.

Do you mean like crabbing over forward and back drags

That's what I do rather often since it's really the only thing I can do well. That and chirps :$

• 1 year later...
Easy to make them a crutch for other weaknesses.

definitely.

I learnt to crab pretty early into my scratch development, and as a consequence didn't spend much time on chirps, flares or transforms to get them nice, so everything i do is fairly sloppy.

if i was god i'd have banned crabs and customs.

i did the same. i still havn't got tears cleanly to this day because all i used to practice were crabs when i first started.

i got them down within the first year but realised it was just messy and sounding like i was trying too hard to sound fast, because crabs were the only thing i was doing.

i then used my newfound hatred of crabs to perfect my orbit/flares.. and now i barely crab/twiddle at all.