fuck i tunes

d00ban

i hate it, its so shit its always either loosing my tunes or making god dam doubles of everything.

i wish id never installed it its fucked up the organisation of all my files completely

why the hell doesnt it have a 'relocate lost files' function when serato has got one where all u gotta do it drag the file on the button and boom, theyre all found again.

god dam

hm, strange problem. I lost files when i moved my lib and had some incorrect file permissions. Do you use multiple libs / external disks?

The best way to do so is to press alt when starting iTunes, this allows to hook in another lib.

On Linux, i love Amarok. Great alternative to iTunes. Sadly the Windows port isnt that stable yet and Amarok on OS X requires Fink.

I simply started using Itunes cuz I got an Ipod touch for my 25th bday...can't say I really like the program though...but yeah I guess I gotta live with what the market offers me, cuz except for one small problem my ipod touch is the mothafuckin shiznit.

But yeah sorry to hear bout your problem...the new Itunes 8.0 looks absolutely shite btw...

pee.z

the thing i found with itunes is you have to completely commit to it. let itunes take care of the library automatically and do all the tagging of your music. you have to keep on top of the tags and be strict about it, for instance you have to decide the main artist on a song and put all the featuring artists in the song title rather than the artist field, i used to do it the other way round and you end up with an album with a lot of contributors split into 25 folders. You basically have to learn the 'rules' so to speak, and figure out how you want to bend them to your advantage. for instance, one of the most important things for me is to keep the genres really on point- like i have dance/electronica, hip hop/rap, r&b/soul, rock, dubstep, battle breaks etc, keeping them as wide as possible but also making sure not to have anything in 'hip-hop/rap' when it should be in 'hip hop/rap' and so on. i also used to use playlists for albums until i realised it was silly when you can actually use itune's album filter for a much neater way of doing the same thing. that kind of thing.

top tip though is to get a couple of doug's itunes scripts, which will let you, for instance, instantly find all your duplicates. makes keeping things tidy easier. since letting itunes manage my library i have had far less headaches, but if you can't bring yourself to do it, super remove dead tracks is a great way of clearing out all the files you've deleted from the itunes library. etc.

Same with Chris.

iTunes, like any other Apple product, is just not for everybody. If you like to do things the way Apple wants you to, their stuff is great. If not its terrible.

When supporting people new on a Mac i see that all the time. The learning curve gets steep as soon as they figure out how Apple wants them to use their Mac.

E.g. the double adding problem in iTunes seems to come up when splitting the lib. I have my lib splitted too but it took some time until i figured it out how it can be done. Obviously Apple didnt think on this when designing iTunes.

Same with the tagging feature: there is one workflow which is extremely fast, if you want to do it any other way that feature is shite.

• 1 month later...