Im thinking of goin digital

mattnice

Yo Matt, there's no need to feel dirty it's a perfectly reasonable choice...just don't turn your back on records completely, it's actually nice because you can spend your money on just the records you really want rather than tunes you just want to play out for a bit, that's how I see it anyway.

Imho a TTM57 is certainly a nice piece of kit but with a SL1 you can turn up anywhere an play with no interuption (with a bit of practice you can get it set up while the prev DJ is finishing off without interupting his set or the sound), is a bit more grief because its a full mixer swap, but you do get benifits (a lovely mixer, remote controls you you don't need to really touch the laptop & effects).

I think serato is fucking shit hot, best investment I've made ever but you have to keep digging the vinyl (just more selectively).

nah, you wouldn't need an interface, you need a pretty powerful and stable laptop ideally

to be fair, if i was playing out much i'd be tempted to get serato, but i don't know if i'd be ready to put my faith in a laptop, so i reckon i'd still take a fat bag of wax out with me

thinking about it though, it may be more practical to get serato with the hub rather than a ttm 57, for the fact that at a fair few places its not that easy to set up with your own mixer...and it'd probably not cost much more to get serato and a ttm 56 than it would just to get a 57...

i think the times right,i was wondering if i buy a TTM 57SL,its got everything built in,would i need to buy an interface to play out with?

Don't buy the 57. Just buy serato if your going to buy it. The 57 is a good idea but you can not use it anywhere that the mixer is built into the desk. Also setting up the interface in a club takes about 5 minutes where as taking out the house mixer to wire yours back in with the earth leeds and stuff takes loads longer and club/bar managers don't like it.

All good boss, i can't believe you ended up with the 2 that have working target lights though!

Target lights are pretty easy to fix, just need a screwdrive, a little screwdrive, some replacement bulbs and a soldering iron.

yeah but the thing is that i had 4 decks and sold matt 2, and to be fair i was under the impression that only one (if any) of the 4 had a working target light, but the 2 i sold matt had working target lights... maybe my mate did the other ones on the sly for me. kind of like the elves and the shoe maker. and to be fair i don't really need target lights anyway...

dont u play 45s?

isnt that gonna be all wierd with the 12" records u get with serato?

haha

i love serato but ripping vinyl to wavs / mp3s is a proper ball ache. getting your shit sorted takes ages.

i hate having to decide if i should buy the mp3 or the vinyl too. ive decided im gonna buy classic hip hop on vinyl (for the instrumentals and acapellas) but can probably get away with getting newer stuff that comes out on mp3 - not that im happy about that coz i dont trust hard drives too much

Yo Matt, there's no need to feel dirty it's a perfectly reasonable choice...just don't turn your back on records completely, it's actually nice because you can spend your money on just the records you really want rather than tunes you just want to play out for a bit, that's how I see it anyway.

I think serato is fucking shit hot, best investment I've made ever but you have to keep digging the vinyl (just more selectively).

Exactly... I have serato and use it, but still buy and play records too... I usually bring a crate of recs (instead or 3 or 4 or more)... also, if you r into b-more, as it appears, then how else u gonna play those kinda tracts? It's not much of it pressed up.

I didn't see that thread until now....someone get me the ROFLCOPTER.....

Back on topic though - Matt, if you got the cash for a TTM 57, get a 56 and the SL1....easier to set up the SL1 box in clubs....although - a lot more clubs are building serato into their installations....

i play 12"s as well,i play quite a bit of bmore and house at the moment,so getting serato would be good for that.

i heard some baltimore when i was on my travels i quite liked it. you got any one i can check out to edumacate myself a little bit more? is it mp3 based then?

• 4 weeks later...

In order to "reduce" the size of tracks to mp3 or wav or whatever .. what actually happens is that "inaudible" sounds ABOVE and BELOW the range of human hearing are simple CUT-OUT.

This has one massive and major-major disadvantage.

What people don't realise is what your ears can't hear, your body CAN FEEL.

All these youngsters raving about mp3's are totally and utterly missing the whole point.

mp3s and digital music in general have NO FEELING!

Play and old vinyl record and your body knows it.

mp3's where supposed to be just a temporary measure to deal with the early days of slow internet.

I pity all those who dumped their records for cd's. They can't get the quality back!

Still, digital has obvious advantages that have very little to do with "raising the quality" and more to do with "saving your lazy ass some effort" :0)