MPCs are good but its not like its a necessary piece of equipment

id say give both a chance..

try some software

try some hardware

see which you prefer, maybe u can incorporate both

i use Reason 3 which is great for making beats

and Adobe Audition for sampling & editing

good luck!

everyone works well on different stuff. i've heard some real good beats made using fruity loops, and equally you get shite made on mpc's...it depends on your understanding of music to an extent as to what way of making beats you will find most comfortable. It may well be a question of messing around on different stuff to see what you like the most. At least by trying software first you can download what you need and don't have to shell out any immediate money

the mpc either works for you or it doesn't- it's not an all in one machine and it does have plenty of limitations. it's at home with a setup that includes a synth or 'proper' sampler, because otherwise all you'll have at your command is what is ultimately a very basic phrase sampler. if you love chopping up samples and making that kind of music, an mpc is worth a look, it's got a very simple way of working which doesn't really teach you anything technical, which is a blessing and a curse. the roland mv8000 and mv8800 are worth a look if you're not into computers at all, because they have a built in sequencer, synth engine, etc etc. software alternatives are probably easily the most bang for buck- a top end mpc or mv will cost you more, or at least the same as, a brand new macbook with logic 8, or a super fast windows pc and reason or cubase and a couple of plugins. if you've already got a computer, i'd say at least trying software demos is your first port of call...

I want to start making beats and I have a few elementary questions... are MPC's the best way to start? If so are some of the earlier ones to be avoided? Or is there better software out there at the moment?

I pretty much asked the same thing a few weeks ago now... I just started out too. I went down the software route. I tried out ableton and found it pretty decent and alot quicker to get to grips with than i thought. there is actually a tutorial abot how to make beats with it. I would say to start there.