I need help learning flares

Jon

Hey guys, I've been trying to get flare scratches down for a fair bit now but still cant pull them off. Because I'm so used to transforms i can't seem to be able to get my fingers/wrist in the right motion. I can do them sometimes when doing fast chirps but i want to be able to pull them off at ease. does anyone have any advice or knows any good tutorials that will help? i just need basic 1 clicks to begin with.

Thanks very much

jon

I remember asking a guy about the Flare back in like 1995 or something and he said

"Can you chirp?"

"Yeah, slowly"

"Just click twice instead of once"

So the way I learned 1-clickers was to think of it as a four-sound scratch. I didn't concentrate on halving the forward with a click then work on halving the back with a click, I just started by doing a forward-back baby scratch and clicking twice with the fader. I focused on trying to create four sounds and after a while I got the timing right and the clicks fell in the right place for the 1-click. If you vary the timing just slightly you end up with the Original Flare (I think).

I was so used to a mixing mentality when I started to get

serious about learning to scratch I found flares really difficult to

get my head round. I thought about going hamster but I stuck

with regular and i'm glad I did as it helps my flow I think.

Do them really slow, stick to 1 clicks as well to begin with

it'll take a while but they do come, then move on to 2 etc.

I am not really in a position to give advice as such but I went

through the same thing and thought i'd chip in.

Stick with them thats my advice.

Tony vegas breaks them down pretty well in this vid.

Jon, if you can get to London some time when I'm free I can show you no probs. I can break it down really easy and show you a dead simple practice tecnique.

Maybe one thing to start is just practice starting with the fader open and just do 1 click doing just the forward motion of the flare till it becomes natural.

actually, although i cut regular (and i can't cut hamster AT ALL), i learned the basic concept of flares on hamster mode. once i got the basic idea down i switched back though...

holla if you got them down, if not i can record a little vid for you showing them

Jon, if you can get to London some time when I'm free I can show you no probs. I can break it down really easy and show you a dead simple practice tecnique.

Maybe one thing to start is just practice starting with the fader open and just do 1 click doing just the forward motion of the flare till it becomes natural.

Cheers Adam. I'm pretty busy until the end of the month with gigs and coursework but I have most of December free, I'd def be up for that. It's been quite a while since our last scratch session anyways. I'll send you a text in the near future.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a habit of rushing new techniques so I'm going to force myself into getting the technique down slowly. I shall have a practice tonight.

The ruckalias' sticker method sems to be a pretty good way to learn to me. As everyon has said just start reeeaaally slow and work up from there. If you still have problems try doing slow babies and just flare the forward motion until you can do that. Then just flare the backwards motion until you can do that. Then try doing both.