What's your opinion on using software to mix?

Steve

I say each to their own, I ain't got any problems with people who want to use software to mix so long as they do it well.

Using software to mix tunes together doesn't actually excite me in anyway, seems a bit boring to me. However, I do like the idea of building up sounds, loops and components of tracks and mixing them altogether on the spur of the moment using something like ableton, so not just mixing tracks but rather mixing stuff together to create one big, long, unique mix...that is my goal for this year to create a live set type thing using this technique, my mpc and a turntable.

its a good laugh, ive used the hercules dj console hardware(v 1.0) before and its actually pretty nice, cant scratch on it or anything but yeh good for a lil mix, the software as well is really sick, has short cut keys to jump forward or back in fractions of a bar, makes for nice lil live remixes of stuff providing you hit the keys in time, other wise it sounds like a mess.. you can either use the bpm syncer or just straight mix it, although the bpm sync thing isnt that acurate so you always have to sort of mix it in somewhat, so there is a level of skill required contrary to what most people think.

Personally i dont like it. Unless its like using serato or something to do cuts the thats cool but i dont rate fading tunes in and out with breaking siren sound effects as skillfull , i wouldn't even call it a 'mix' as such just a collection of songs but it seems to be the way its going these days , shame really.

i reckon it depends how you use it, like any technology.

granted, using these pieces of equipment does make it easier to do certain things, but then some people will get a strong grasp and just take it to the next level and use the technology available in a clever creative way...or something

i think you get my point, but you might not.

I think it can aid to creativity, I love serato and think it's the perfect combo of the new adding to the old. I did that 80s mix on serato, I bpm'd everything to get an idea of what would fit where, I used pitch lock to get away with some tempo changes, I set markers to aid with some quick mixes and cutting, I don't have a problem with any of that, I mean I still 'did' it live, (er, in three parts) ..but you can either mix and cut and put tunes together in an interesting way or you can't. Technology isn't go to change that.

To me the things that ableton can let some hipster wally do with music in a club is quite terrifying but some people like it I suppose.

To me the things that ableton can let some hipster wally do with music in a club is quite terrifying but some people like it I suppose.

true, but you may well get some fucking awesome stuff done with it. As always, it's all about what you get out of the equipment you've got

true, but you may well get some fucking awesome stuff done with it. As always, it's all about what you get out of the equipment you've got

i always wonder did people have this arguement when they came out with the first mixer...

it only makes sense that its going to progress....

and no worries...it will just make being "old school" cooler

I don't like it either. I've read that some DJs are using MP3s and getting them all the same BPM with software before mixing them. What's the point?

depends, i did a rave mix a few months back and I had it all bpm'd as I was doing some really fast mixing I mean a track playing for 30 seconds or less and 2 tracks over each other and with that style of music you can't get it in sync in 5-10 seconds, so it can help. don't do it and can't see the point when mixing house (or a normal rave mix) as i have plenty of time to get them match the old skool way ;)

i think it can be cool if you REALLY use it to it's full potential. I mean doing some shit that you couldn't even dream of attempting on turntables, just rediculous shit. But when people are just matching bpms and transitioning to the next track it's like flipping burgers at mcdonalds... anyone could do it.

its definately down to the user in how good it will be. if they use it to mix one song into another and thats it then its gonna be shity..whereas using it as a tool when decks wouldnt work (me thinking of radio soulwax mixes) then its sound amazing.