anyone have a Vestax 08?

Vekked

I have my eye on one, as I might be able to get a nice discount on it from my local shop... they're having a big sale, and basically if they can get something in, it'll be at least 15% off, but they can only do vestax/pioneer for the top range stuff, so I'm looking at one of those...

I read the review on skratchworx for the vestax, and it pretty much has me sold, like it seems to have everything I'd ever need, I just gotta know how they hold up, cuz I've heard 3 stories about them dying after a couple months, which is wack, but maybe they've addressed that or something... I know muzzell has one, what you think of it so far??

like I said the 909's another possibility, anyone think it'd be better than the 08? I'm mostly looking for good faders, and a nice efx send/receive section, as I like using external effects, but hate having to hook them up to my gear without the send/receive...

also, will the 08 make me scratch like muzzell?

thanks, pz!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pokemon sauce

the 08 will give you all the options you need for setting up an external effects box. apparently the first batch of 08s that were shipped had a dodgy power cord and that's what was causing the problem (apparently). some ppl are still waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out before copping one because it is fairly expensive.

i know D-Styles uses one with a pro x fade in it so it must be pretty tight, and if i had the money that would be the first mixer i would get (above any pioneer, ecler, rane or rodec mixer) but thats just me.

are you going for black or orange/white??

I'd go for black to match my ttx's... it is expensive, but if I got a decent deal on it, I'd prolly go for it... the dodgy power cord is my main concern tho...

so you can put a pro-x in it too? thas sick, the fader that comes with seems pretty tight anyways tho

p.s. ryan, don't you have a vestax mixer?

The 909s fader a lil bit different than the others. But once you get used to it, it's the shit. But I still prefer the feel of the TTM-56 from Rane. But when it comes to efx, the 909 can't be beat (if you are mixing). Using external efx with the 909 doesn't work as good as on a Rane or the PMC-08. But when it comes to external efx or connecting additional gear, I would go with the RODEC SKRATCHBOX. That mixer is just a dream.

i have a 909 and an 08...

the 08 is fuckin well nice, trust - especially with the pro-x in it...

IMHO - the 909 is well overrated...theres too much 'shit' on it, tries to do a little too much...

the faders feel "clacky / clicky" and the whole thing is a bit cheap and does wierd things from time to time....

dont get me wrong, its good....just overrated...and slightly buggy (and thats on a 2 or 3 that ive used over a fairly extended period)

i would def plump for the 08....especially if u can get it cheaper than rrp (like me..hehe)

if its a cheap deal - then you might want to be aware of that power pack problem - that said, ive had mine for a few months with no problems whatsoever.

The 909 is really loud and clunky when scratching and also the X fader (although smooth) is really heavy. The FX are nice and the way it’s all built in and you can use the faders to change the fx parameters but.... the faders are not great. The up faders are allot lighter but feel like they might break any second.

The rane is very nice and has a few good points but the fact is the up faders have a rubbish curve and the X fader can feel a bit odd to some people.

If you wana enjoy scratching get an 08

There's too much good stuff around these days. It's really hard to pick one over another. One thing is for sure though, the 56 isn't way out in front anymore. And the 57 is only great if you use the built in SSL.

My choices:

• As a workhorse than will take beatings on the road - 56

• For studio work - Rodec or 08

• For a lot of fun - 909

If I were to pick one, I'd really be torn between the 08 and Rodec. I own a Rodec but would probably replace my 56 with an 08.

I haven't had experience with the 08's, so I can't say on whether it sucks less than a 909/ 56/ yahyahyah.

56's are quality - lately, I've been getting all the fucked up ones.

I had to go through two to get a properly working one.

The first one had a warped chassis. With all the rubber feet, I had to fold a piece of paper to make it stable. Nothing major - just that if I paid a lot for my shit, I want it perfect.

I spoke to Rane about it, they told me about a chassis swap, but fuck it. I didn't want to wait three business days, so I sent it back to GC for a new one.

As it turns out, my store-to-store transfer got fucked over, and lost in the system. It took me about three weeks to get another 56, one from which was sent from Rane to the store.

This one was also fucked as well. Dodgy headphone bug which made the volume in the headphones unequal at lower volumes (You really had to crank it, past 2 to have equality). GC salesperson tried to bullshit me, that was until Rane said they'd speak to them if any problems arose - I also took my other Rane in as reference. Lest I forget, the mode buttons were a little sticky, it was very slow to depress.

The third one was a charm, and is the one I'm using now. :$

P.S. - Thank God for the new Firefox. My browser had an error - and I didn't have to retype this all over again. :d

word, thanks for all the replies, I've tried the rane, and the upfaders are definately kinda wack, and that's one thing I'd like, cuz I have an sa-5 right now, and the ups are OK, but sometimes if I'm juggling and want to do fast upfader stuff, the fade makes it sounds a little sloppier than it could cuz I have to move it farther...

I was looking at the rodec too, thing looks like a beast, but it'd probably be almost double the 08 for me...

but it looks like I'm going for the 08... I'ma see today if I can get the deal on it... if I can, I might have an sa-5 for sale, hehe

Ok VEKKED, you are my man.

I'm still looking into which mixer to buy. I'm mentally fucked by now. Basically two days ago I was this close to ordering a pioneer 909. Now I read this thread, and I'm like fuck, I shouldn't. Then I thought I'd discard the 08 cuz of the known power problems and the thing looks so fucking complicated. I was then thinking rane 56. But in all honesty, eventhough I love the way it feels when you cut with it, I find it a bit of a boring mixer. Too standard. Considering that I cut on a regular basis, I'd be fine with just any scratch mixer (current setup: 05 pro II, with p&g fader in it). I mean my old mixer has fit all my needs to date, EXCEPT: Sound quality. So basically what I'm looking for now is a fucking excellent mixer, with high end sound quality and features. SOOOOO I end up looking at the rodec scratch box. Now you tell me you're going for the 08...SHIT, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Basically I want a scratch mixer, with fucking excellent sound quality. But I also want a fun mixer (hence thinking about the 909)...I know deft already said I should do a pioneer EFX 1000 with a rodec but the "clicking" when applying the effects really scares me. Can one put the pro-x into the pioneer?

Someone, eventhough I've really read all the stuff on here and on skratchworx, help me out...I'm really fucked in my head and don't know what to chose anymore.

your's truely

Oliver

ive had 2 vestax's in my time.. and i must say they arent THAT quality.

my headphone jack is about to fall apart.. AGAIN...

and my outputs are always giving me problems.

i havnt bothered to look for a new one just becuase of funds.. but i would go rane.

I haven't had experience with the 08's, so I can't say on whether it sucks less than a 909/ 56/ yahyahyah.

56's are quality - lately, I've been getting all the fucked up ones.

I had to go through two to get a properly working one.

The first one had a warped chassis. With all the rubber feet, I had to fold a piece of paper to make it stable. Nothing major - just that if I paid a lot for my shit, I want it perfect.

I spoke to Rane about it, they told me about a chassis swap, but fuck it. I didn't want to wait three business days, so I sent it back to GC for a new one.

As it turns out, my store-to-store transfer got fucked over, and lost in the system. It took me about three weeks to get another 56, one from which was sent from Rane to the store.

This one was also fucked as well. Dodgy headphone bug which made the volume in the headphones unequal at lower volumes (You really had to crank it, past 2 to have equality). GC salesperson tried to bullshit me, that was until Rane said they'd speak to them if any problems arose - I also took my other Rane in as reference. Lest I forget, the mode buttons were a little sticky, it was very slow to depress.

The third one was a charm, and is the one I'm using now. :$

P.S. - Thank God for the new Firefox. My browser had an error - and I didn't have to retype this all over again. :d

I have the same wobbly problem with my TTM56, but since I squeeze it tight between my decks, it's not a problem. I like the feel of the upfaders, but the upfader cut definitely isn't sharp enough. Also, my left upfader is a bit thinner or something, so if you're doing quick cuts on it, the fader knob flys off (and I've tried to fit on the other fader knobs from the crossfader and other upfader on it too. Same problem with all of them). That said, I love my TTM56, definitely one of my most prized possessions. If I were to get another mixer later on though, I'd either get an Ecler HAK360 or the Vestax PMC-08. I saw Muzz's demo, and goddamn, it seems sexy.

Edited by drummy

Ok VEKKED, you are my man.

I'm still looking into which mixer to buy. I'm mentally fucked by now. Basically two days ago I was this close to ordering a pioneer 909. Now I read this thread, and I'm like fuck, I shouldn't. Then I thought I'd discard the 08 cuz of the known power problems and the thing looks so fucking complicated. I was then thinking rane 56. But in all honesty, eventhough I love the way it feels when you cut with it, I find it a bit of a boring mixer. Too standard. Considering that I cut on a regular basis, I'd be fine with just any scratch mixer (current setup: 05 pro II, with p&g fader in it). I mean my old mixer has fit all my needs to date, EXCEPT: Sound quality. So basically what I'm looking for now is a fucking excellent mixer, with high end sound quality and features. SOOOOO I end up looking at the rodec scratch box. Now you tell me you're going for the 08...SHIT, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Basically I want a scratch mixer, with fucking excellent sound quality. But I also want a fun mixer (hence thinking about the 909)...I know deft already said I should do a pioneer EFX 1000 with a rodec but the "clicking" when applying the effects really scares me. Can one put the pro-x into the pioneer?

Someone, eventhough I've really read all the stuff on here and on skratchworx, help me out...I'm really fucked in my head and don't know what to chose anymore.

your's truely

Oliver

I hear you man, I've been going through all the same thoughts... basically, in my mind, I've narrowed it down to the rodec, or the 08 as far as quality... because they both seem to have everything, and barely any apparent flaws/weaknesses... where the hak 360 and rane have poor upfader curves, the 380 is missing the fx send/receive on 1 channel or the other... the 909 seems solid, but not as solid as the 08/rodec unless I want the built-in effects, but I'm more of an external effects guy... basically it's between the 08 and the rodec for me, but since I'm in Canada, the rodec would prolly be double what I can get the 08 for... so for me the 08 has me sold (as long as I can get the deal I'm looking at...)

I'd have to hear the click sound on the rodec to see if it was a major problem, and also I'd have to think about how much I'd actually be switching effects on and off of the go for that to bother me... one thing I'd be thinking about is the crossfader... because I think it's the same one as the mackie D2, and I've heard that it's nice, but it isn't that durable and starts to stiffen up after a bit for whatever reason...

see how much you can get the rodec and 08 for and go for the cheapest prolly... but between ed, muzz, and skratchworx, I'm sold on the 08, lol

Thx vekked. I mean I'm kinda tending towards the 08 aswell. It's just that I don't really know rodec, had never heard of them before and that kind of has me worried. Knowing though, that 2tall, lamont and co use it, and deft is completely in love with it, has had me swaying back and forth.

I didn't like what I heard about the 909 feeling fairly "cheap". The thing about the external effects though is that I don't own an external effects pad, and I was therefore thinking about hitting two flies with one swat.

Having said that, what bothers me with the 909 (as far as I can see) is that you can't load samples onto the effects bank, something which I'd like to be able to do for various reasons.

I've owned a vestax for about 8years now and I've only had to replace the crossfader. The upfaders are still original, then again, I'm not an upfaders cutter. So that brings me back to vestax...

As you said earlier, it's just really fucked up these days, when you want to buy a quality scratch mixer...there's just too much to chose from.

I guess I'ma have to speak to deft and co...I'm prolly be back in month, whining about the same shit though...so sorry in advance.

pee.z

Oliver

Couldn't you just have bent it back into shape? My Ecler was like that - didn't sit properly on it's feet, so I pushed down hard on two opposite corners and that sorted it out.

Is the Scratchbox that much better than the Rane that you'd pay £230 more for it?

so far the vestax 08 deal's looking good... he figures I can grab it for about 850 CAD all said and done, taxes included (370 pounds), which is the best deal I can find I reckon...

if I actually pick it up, I'll have an sa-5 for sale, and it'll have brand new x-fader (I just broke it again and I'm getting a new one under warranty), along with 2 spare p&g's (with broken fader stems, but if you can get them, cuz you can't in Canada apparently, you'll have 2 spare faders, one being less than a month old...), anyone be interested?