DJ equipment poll - Get voting!

Steve

Which of the following do you use when DJing?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Make your choice below: -

• Vinyl only
    • Serato/Final Scratch
    • CDX/CD decks
    • PC or Mac software
    • Combination of the above

This poll is talking about DJing only - either at home, in the club, Q&Aing with your mate, battle routines etc.

For those that don't use vinyl - Do you use your equipment of choice out of convenience and/or cos it saves you money? If you could afford it, would you prefer to go the vinyl only route?

Vinyl and iPod for the same reason discuss said.

Why do you ask?

Just out of interest. It seems like more and more people are either going digital, or using digital gear along with traditional turntables - not that I think that's bad, other than the fact I would hate to see a day where vinyl was no longer produced.

I am personally very conflicted towards serato.

Cons for SSL (aka pro's for vinyl):

-I really like playing vinyl

-I like stickering records n shit and seeing all my record sleaves

-I like doing quick mixes and going through shitloads of records

-After BPMing and stickering all my records, the task of now recording them all and re-"processing" (i.e. setting Cue points

ON THE OTHER HAND

Pros for SSL

-LESS LUGGAGE!!!

-NO WARPAGE!!!

I have to DJ a friends party over thanksgiving break and I'm driving home to Chicago over break (4.5 hours). I need to bring 3 flightcases worth of vinyl and another crate. I would so badly love to just have 1 laptop that fits in a backpack or something and not have to bring 4 crates with me.

Also, another thing that has pissing me of SEVERELY is warped records. I pay fucking $7 a piece for represses of LL's "Rock the bells" so that I could do the traditional rock the bells party rock juggle and they're both warped as SHIT! That's $14 down the drain. Those records are garbage to me now. With serato, if your record is warped, you replace it and you effectively replace ALL your warped records. This opens up the possibility of using a lot more records more versatily than if I used the real deal.

tricky subject imo. leap of faith really.

P.S. I hate seven inch, its the one legged retard of the vinyl world.

Pros for SSL

-LESS LUGGAGE!!!

-NO WARPAGE!!!

Plus: -

Instant doubles

Download songs for free (morally questionable, but I know you all do it :p)

Scratch any sample you like

Play your own compositions out if you want to

P.S. I hate seven inch, its the one legged retard of the vinyl world.

When I was a kid, all my music was on 7" records so I could never hate it. I don't like DJing with it though.

for the type of djing i do, vinyl is a must. you will get no respect here if you use serato but havent established yourself with vinyl first.

but if i were a club dj or partyrocker, serato would be the only way to go. for my application, i use serato at home for practice, occassional mixtapes and other studio work. when i get random store/wedding gigs, ill bring serato out but as long as im playing music i like, im playing it off of vinyl.

I use both vynil and my computer for beats. Loopers or drum samples produced. I am in the process of archiving Cd's, Cassette tapes, and Vynil to my exHD preparing for the addition for the option of digital. Havent decided... probably Serato.

I would use digital for parties and what not to minimize luggage. But can't beat the fact that you have originals pressings. They're a kind of braggin right or trophy.

I would never go digital all the way, only to preserve the orginal copies or have what's not in production anymore. Or drop something you made.

To be fair I don't really want serato for playing tunes...I could never manage a collection of mp3s, they'd just get out of hand, they have no value to me....I want serato for those times where you start to work out a cool juggle and you suddenly think "wouldn't it be cool to switch this up into some other thing I worked out the day and drop this specific sample in here"...

basically I like the idea of composing custom routines, to me that would be my thing, be it a battle routines or a pieces of music which can be performed & improvised live on the turntables...only problem....I need serato lol

I love my vinyl, although I have been getting a lot of warped

stuff lately which really pisses me off. New shrink wrapped vinyl

is the worst for this.

I want serato, just for the bringing in an messing about with

stuff aspect, I don't think I could have a music collection

on a hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...