Developing FUNK in your Scratchs.

$a!n+

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can work on it all u want, but the best way is to develop your sense of humour! toadstyle is the funkiest scratcher on the planet bar none, some of the shit on SS is so rideckolosly funny!!

other than that, a sense of timing, swing - that is'nt academic, i.e. comes from your creative/conceptual side

if you want funky scratches, listen to madlib, no shit.

i would say cos he knows more about instrumentation and musicality, i.e. he can play all kinds of stuff - plus he pulls a crowd so its good business sense too, no scratch dj outside the beat junkies or a handful of others would really pull a crowd

i would say cos he knows more about instrumentation and musicality, i.e. he can play all kinds of stuff - plus he pulls a crowd so its good business sense too, no scratch dj outside the beat junkies or a handful of others would really pull a crowd

true...i just didn´t know how to express that i don´t like his scratching that much :p

i lost the little funk i had when my fingers collapsed on me, now everytime i cut i always got this feeling like shit will happen again and it stops me enjoying cutting as much and experiamenting as much as i used to

you can work on it all u want, but the best way is to develop your sense of humour! toadstyle is the funkiest scratcher on the planet bar none, some of the shit on SS is so rideckolosly funny!!

I don't know if I quite understand this, but whenever I hear really fresh cuts I start laughing for some reason. Is this what your talking about?

I don't know if I quite understand this, but whenever I hear really fresh cuts I start laughing for some reason. Is this what your talking about?

Yeah, I know that feeling.

Ahh, come on. If we are truly talking the funkiest scratcher it's got to be D Styles. Toad is ill but every time d cuts it's completely different.

we're getting into real nerd territory but i have to say tha dee is more mind based, and toad is more heart based, that's where people tend to split off in terms of their perception, neither is more valid when it comes to art, personally i think toad has the hearty humour, and dee is more mentally funny.

:o

..ggnarff

Ahh, come on. If we are truly talking the funkiest scratcher it's got to be D Styles. Toad is ill but every time d cuts it's completely different.

we're getting into real nerd territory but i have to say tha dee is more mind based, and toad is more heart based, that's where people tend to split off in terms of their perception, neither is more valid when it comes to art, personally i think toad has the hearty humour, and dee is more mentally funny.

:o

..ggnarff

Yeah man. Geek crack. haha.

Listening to SS against some of D's files I'd agree but watching them cut I'd go with D more for feel. Ahh. Sod it. Who cares. Lets just scratch (Badly in my case).

• 2 weeks later...

do you reckon one could get funkier over time? would that just be more about somoene just gettin more in tune with themselves and just lettin loose, rather than focusing on tech so much?

i reckon its just about breathing.

do you reckon one could get funkier over time? would that just be more about somoene just gettin more in tune with themselves and just lettin loose, rather than focusing on tech so much?

i reckon its just about breathing.

EXACTLY

i guess thats why people feel/sound funkier on the cut when theyre pissed or stoned or both.. because they just let loose and not give a shit about anything or anyone :d

drink

breathe

scratch