Can't decide which mixer to buy.........

My mixer's OK, but I could do with an upgrade. I can't decide what to do. Here's my choices: -

1. Stanton SA-5 (£250 brand new from the UK)

2. Urei 1601S (£160 brand new + shipping from the USA)

3. Stick a Pro X in my current mixer (Ecler Hak 310)

4. Something else?

I can't really afford much, but what would you do in my situation?

i'd go for that too. if the mixer has no problems, i reckon keep it and get the pro-x.

hows the proxfade going for you man? i'm thinking of gettin one soon now that theres a local distributer.

The Pro X Fade is definitely worth getting; if you're mixer hasn't died on you or anything, and you just need a change, it's a good buy. It's lasted for the 6 months I've had it quite well.

Mind you, I love the faders on the Ecler anyway.

Edited by DJ Switch

I like the faders too, but I'd like a mixer with curve control on the ups. The cut in isn't all that sharp on the crossfader either. I'm very tempted by the Urei - if it wasn't for the fucking gay import charges/taxes I'd probably have ordered one already, cos for that price it's a steal.

Hey people, i've been reading posts for a while but this will be my first time posting so nice to meet you all..

anyways, I have the 1601s and my advice to Steve would be that If you're not really interested in the sampler on the Urei, then it may not be the best choice. If you're going to use it for scratching, you would have to consider getting a pxf or some other fader(I heard P&G fits too, with some modding) for it since the stock fader will not last long. I myself am trying to see if I can fit a Focus fader in mine. Another thing to consider is that it has 3mm of lag(which can be easily fixed with the washer mod), and the curve is soft compared to other high-end scratch mixers even on the sharpest setting(though I don't have problems with it so far). But on the other hand, everything else on this mixer is top-notch and the sampler definitely is some fun shit to play with if you are interested in it ;) And IMO a decent scratch mixer with 2 slots for samples, for this price is a steal.. ;)

so yeah, thats all I have to say about the 1601s. hope that helps in your decision.

Who knows... I may still have the 707 to offload Steve.

I don't like the fader man. I borrowed a 909 for a couple of weeks and I loved it apart from the crossfader. It popped badly.

Moto - Thanks a lot for the info man and welcome to the forum.

I think I might get a Pro X from the USA and stick it in the Ecler. Does anyone know any US stores that have them in stock?

**EDIT**

TurntableLab has them. :)

if you wanna borrow my sa-5 at some point to get a feel for it then no probs.

i like your mixer, it's just the lag is too much for me.

will a pro-x drop straight in or is there a lot of modding to do?

Sticking a P&G in my 02 was almost as good as buying a new mixer -and cost me £30 shipped. Mind you, I was 100% happy with my mixer before that, so things might be different for you.

I say go with the fader option anyway, if only because it'll give you time to weigh things up and look out for a real bargain. Let's face it, if you're anything like me then you're going to end up married to your next mixer purchase for at least half a decade, so you might as well pick a good 'un. Plus, when you do, you'll have a decent fader in your 310 to take elsewhere or use as a second mixer when a mate comes over for a cut.

Mind you, no effects loop on the 310, is there? Hardly essential, I know, but in this day and age even the onboard sound on my reasonably mature laptop can do decent effects processing, so it could be worth having this.

What shape is your 310 in? If you do choose to part company with it, give me a shout. I can't pay top dollar, but I'm not a nigerean scammer either... my new flatmate wants to learn to cut, some Q&A'ing is in order I reckon.

I reckon Giz should sell you that 02; it's a bitch move alright but he did clearly say UK only and you're a mate... ;)

EDIT: the more I think about this; the more I want your old 310 -although for different reasons. I've been thinking about building a hardware effects box from scratch for a while now, and I've also been looking for a cheap source of phono preamps to run DJdecks with... mind you, there's so much space inside the 310 that I could probabbly internalise some hardware EFX on the master bus, tap the amplified phono output and stick something like a MAYA44 inside there, leave a USB lead trailing... all still in the pipe-dream stage of course but it's definately given me the hardware-hack boner alright.

Resolution: start working on all this stuff -and document it. Need a decent digicam really (and a macrolens -I smell a hack within a hack)

I reckon Giz should sell you that 02; it's a bitch move alright but he did clearly say UK only and you're a mate...
Haha, especially as this is the sig of the guy who won: -

---primary---

Shure M44-7 (x2) / Ortofon Concord Q-Bert Needlez >>Vestax PDX-2000 (x2) >> Pioneer DJM-707 Mixer {A} >> PA & PC :: Pioneer HDJ-1000 Headphones # MixVibes 6 Pro Edition

---secondary---

Numark CDX & PC >> Pioneer DJM-707 {B} >> Pioneer DJM-707 {A} :: Technics RP-F290 Headphones

---spare---

Stanton SA-3 Mixer; Stanton SA-12X LE Mixer; Numark PPD01 Mixer

I've got the greater need motherfucker!!

:p

Sticking a P&G in my 02 was almost as good as buying a new mixer -and cost me £30 shipped. Mind you, I was 100% happy with my mixer before that, so things might be different for you.

I say go with the fader option anyway, if only because it'll give you time to weigh things up and look out for a real bargain. Let's face it, if you're anything like me then you're going to end up married to your next mixer purchase for at least half a decade, so you might as well pick a good 'un. Plus, when you do, you'll have a decent fader in your 310 to take elsewhere or use as a second mixer when a mate comes over for a cut.

Mind you, no effects loop on the 310, is there? Hardly essential, I know, but in this day and age even the onboard sound on my reasonably mature laptop can do decent effects processing, so it could be worth having this.

What shape is your 310 in? If you do choose to part company with it, give me a shout. I can't pay top dollar, but I'm not a nigerean scammer either... my new flatmate wants to learn to cut, some Q&A'ing is in order I reckon.

I reckon Giz should sell you that 02; it's a bitch move alright but he did clearly say UK only and you're a mate... ;)

EDIT: the more I think about this; the more I want your old 310 -although for different reasons. I've been thinking about building a hardware effects box from scratch for a while now, and I've also been looking for a cheap source of phono preamps to run DJdecks with... mind you, there's so much space inside the 310 that I could probabbly internalise some hardware EFX on the master bus, tap the amplified phono output and stick something like a MAYA44 inside there, leave a USB lead trailing... all still in the pipe-dream stage of course but it's definately given me the hardware-hack boner alright.

Resolution: start working on all this stuff -and document it. Need a decent digicam really (and a macrolens -I smell a hack within a hack)

I've done this to my xs-4 in part liam; I soldered some connectors from my phono stages and created extra outputs on the front panel for use with djdecks

now i plug deck>phono in, amplified phono out>maya 44 ins, maya 44 outs>line in on mixer and it works great - no preamps needed (obviously), and to switch from vinyl control to real vinyl i just use the phono/line switch on the xs-4 without the need for splitters or anything, total cost, about £1.50

ought to write this up on the djdecks forum realy, veryt simple but very effective and it means i can use my maya 44 for other things also

</threadjack>

I've done this to my xs-4 in part liam; I soldered some connectors from my phono stages and created extra outputs on the front panel for use with djdecks

Nice work. What did you do; trace it with a multimeter then find a larger component in-line to solder to? Good work my friend. I think I may forgo the extra connectors in leu of placing the soundcard within the mixer, and perhaps place a USB 'B' connector on the rear of the mixer. Did you bother to put any limiting resistors in-line or anything? I might do as the soundcard won't need a massive voltage and it'll hopefully kill some ground loops. I'll go with a single line per channel (so 4 wires then), and ground it all using the main grounding post from the inside.

The next stage is to sandwich my HTPC (which will be handling DJdecks) into one of my three old record boxes and mount an old 15" TFT I have onto the side. I plan to leave enough room behind the MOBO to store 10-15 records as well; enough for some encoded vinyl and some battle wax in case.

EDIT: Deft, how much room is inside that 320 of yours? Enough for a de-cased Serato? I might have that off you at the right price (fifth year as an undergraduate innit)

I bought a proX for my 06 a week later I saw

a TTM56 going cheap so I bought it.

Even though I have 3 tables and both

mixers are hooked up Cutting with the

proX is nowhere near as nice due to

the 06 just sounding hollow, it feels

cheap and nasty in comparison.

Only buy the fader if you like the mixer steve

You can't shine shit mate.

Very true mate. I quite like the mixer, but because the faders are a bit battered I thought I'd just get a new one. A Pro X from America will only cost me about £60 so I think I'll give it a try. If I don't like it I can always sell it and get my money back.

Yeah man. The fader is $99 which is £52. I've asked Donna to order it, then mail it to me and say it's worth a fiver so I avoid taxes and shit, so it should actually be less than £60 with postage. The only thing that could go wrong is it gets lost in the post, then I can only claim back a fiver. Worth the risk though.

Very true mate. I quite like the mixer, but because the faders are a bit battered I thought I'd just get a new one. A Pro X from America will only cost me about £60 so I think I'll give it a try. If I don't like it I can always sell it and get my money back.

To be honest steve I love the pro X its a

really nice fader. just a shame I put it

in a shitty hollow sounding case.

In a chunky well built mixer that

fader will be the nuts.