"Racist" Sony advert

Steve

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/images/sony_ad.gif

A new billboard advert for Sony's white PSP has caused consternation across the US videogaming community. The ad shows a white model dressed entirely in white threateningly grasping the face of a black model. Next to them are the words, "PlayStation Portable. White is coming". The ad can also be seen on the Dutch official PSP site.

Sites such as Kotaku, Joystiq and Digital Battle have questioned whether the ads are racist. So far the debate has split comments sections with some condeming Sony and equal numbers defending the ads as a harmless personfication of the handheld console's two available colours.

Clearly, whatever the justifications, the intention is to be provocative. According to Joystiq, the adverts have been created by TBWA an agency that speciliases in 'disruptive' marketing. From the company's website:

"Disruption is the art of asking better questions, challenging conventional wisdom and overturning assumptions and prejudices that get in the way of imagining new possibilities and visionary ideas.

It's questionable, however, whether the world is ready to explore themes of race and domination in the context of a videogame console ad. Although not as wilfully controversial as Benetton's infamous 'United Colours' campaign, many viewers will be unwilling or unable to decode the imagery until it becomes about two different colours of plastic.

Importantly perhaps, the ads are for the European release of the white PSP and are appearing on billboards in Amsterdam rather than in the US where racial tension remains a fraught issue.

Stuff liek this pisses me off , if it was the other way round (black is coming) it wouldnt be as big a deal , people are too quick to say shits racist these days and most people that regard it as racist are white anyway.

The world is fucked. Society is fucked. Pretty soon the word white will be banned and instead referred to as the "colour with zero chromatic value". Or maybe we'll describe colours as hex - white = FFFFFF, black as 000000. But then black is a bunch of zeros... oh dear lord - find me a cave to escape this madness.

hex - white = FFFFFF, black as 000000.

So if someone is half and half will it then be FFF000 or 000FFF ...

I`m for sure #4B5F4B

font-size : XXXLpt; font-weight : FAT;

;)

hex - white = FFFFFF, black as 000000.

So if someone is half and half will it then be FFF000 or 000FFF ...

I`m for sure #4B5F4B

font-size : XXXLpt; font-weight : FAT;

;)

Nah mate, half and half is 7F7F7F

a post on racism turns into hex colours???

geeks

but really how can it be racist...its only a picture for gods sake and theres no violence involved (she may just want a kiss)

oh yeh didnt the police get banned from saying accident blackspot for fears of racism

I think Orange mobile phones should have to change their name incase lemons take offence!

Could imagine that, lemons getting bitter over equality.