Serrato Scratch Live - YAY or NAY?

Ok - now I know this is an endless topic, but I want to know from all of you who bought SSL how easy it was to get the whole thing running.

Did you have to configure huuuuuge amounts of stuff on your laptop, re-install it blahblahblah. Or was it really easy: Just plug it in an you're ready to rumble.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about buying it and I'm slightly reluctant because

a) I had huge issues installing my soundcard a year ago

b) my laptop is slightly older, but updated (1gig ram)

c) I've never ever bought something for a computer that just "worked" after installing it (except for the soundcard I eventually installed on my laptop)

d) It's fairly pricey and I don't want to be spending that much money on something I can't use.

What I'd also like to know is how many of you have had the thing crash on you? Or is it a very stable program? As I'd be a new user I'd be slightly reluctant to use it when I'm playing in clubs (I do so fairly regularly)...Does it feed on CPU? How high would it be going on most of you?

So yeah, I guess I'd like to hear about your happiness and sorrows with SSL...

Thanks a mill.

Pee.z

I've experience no probs with Serato, the few times I've managed to have a go on it....

According to a mate of mine it's mad easy to set up - the only time consuming thing is to ID3 Tag your MP3's (encoded at 192kbps & abpve preferably)

yeah man its well easy to install theres just a few steps that u need to follow but its easy enough.

ive never had it crash unless i was trying to do 2 things at once which u aint meant to do and u wud never do that in a club so i wouldnt worry about that. its very stable in fact

all happy

I've had no problems with Serato... FS2 I had too.. seemed to be a hare quicker possibly (hard to even tell) but it never worked right so what did it matter... The only problem I found was most of my music was on itunes and while FS2 suppports whatever kinda format that is, Serato doesn't, so I had to convert everything to mp3s before I could use Serato.

got it, installed it and was checking all the features in a matter of 10 mins thats including installing the program and the wires. Never had it crash aswell.

p.s. its paid for itself and i love this program for gigs.

get serato and youll never have to buy vinyl again..

unless you cant find a particular scratch record to download...

it will definantly pay for itself in the LONG RUN..

having all your tracks on your laptop/pc/ipod is alot better than hauling around 2349203482 records to gigs..

you have doubles of everything..

the program works well, and you have a forum in which you can be up to date with bugs and other related issues.. as well as beta releases and FAQs...

IMO, you cant go wrong with SSL.

I got SSL a while ago and have only bought a couple of scratch records since. It is quite an expensive one off payment, but after a while it should have paid for itself. And you get the updates free whenever they add new features.

I currently run SSL on a laughable laptop. It's got a less than 900mhz processor and only 192mb of ram, and it still works pretty much perfectly. The only times I've had problems with it is when I've tried to run things in the background, like trying to record stuff. Then it just will refuse to work well. Saying that, I've been able to run SSL and beat loopers at the same time without any problems. So with a gig of ram you should be sorted.

Installing it is a breeze too. It's definitely worth getting.

get serato and youll never have to buy vinyl again..

Why wouldn't you want to buy vinyl??

I still think nothing compares to vinyl, but SSL is a bomb tool... I love it cause 1) you don't have to tranport crates of recs and 2) it's about $2,500 cheaper than the crappiest vinyl press. BUT, I'm not too into juggling with it... prefer the real deal.

i still buy vinyl but I only buy stuff i really like now. And P-ski you cant compare mixxvibes to serato. Im no fan boy but I wouldnt trust mixxvibes out at a gig like I do with serato.

I got SSL just over a month ago, it arrived at 8am and I managed to get my computer on, plug it in, install the driver and have a scratch for ten minutes before I had to leave for work at 20 past. On my athlon 2600+, 2x256mb dual channel ram with IDE hard drive, it runs at almost the minimum buffer (completely indistinguishable from vinyl) absolutely flawlessly- whilst running ableton live, with reason rewired to it playing a track, an audio track running in live, and the input from the decks being recorded to a track in live. I still marvel at its efficiency and stability.

WOW. Thanks guys - only positive reviews. And thanks for the link deft...you rating something 90% kinda speaks for the program.

Considering that all of you are so happy with it - and some of you say you wouldn't trust any of the "cheaper alternatives", if I buy a program like SSL or FS, I guess I'd kinda stick to what the "mainstream" is using...cause a) If you've got a problem lots of people will be able to help b) somehow I trust all of your views.

Thanks a lot guys.

BTW Version 1.5 has an inbuilt recording function? Now that's excellent. Pitty tho, that you have to convert all your files - does SSL give you a piece of software to do so?

Once again, thanks.

Pee.z

Oliver

BTW Version 1.5 has an inbuilt recording function? Now that's excellent. Pitty tho, that you have to convert all your files - does SSL give you a piece of software to do so?

Once again, thanks.

Pee.z

Oliver

its only if u use AAC files on your itunes that you'd have to convert

if u have mp3s instead no conversion is needed