having your own record cut - question

airnino

i'm about to have my first own record cut soon, and the guys at www.vinyl-recording.de offer 1mm or 2mm thickness. now i'm asking myself which thickness i should get.

if the record comes perfectly unwarped i guess 2mm would be better, but my experience is that if a record comes warped the thinner ones are more likely to flatten out over the time. so which thickness should i get? any experiences?

@ 2tall: which thickness did you get at the musikmesse?

Very good question. I'll be interested to hear opinions on this...

I've been told in the past that warping of a new record is more often than not caused by the shrink-wrapping process. Makes sense, and I've definately found that records I've bought that aen't shrink wrapped are less likely to be warped. So as your record won't be shrink wrapped, warping isn't likely to be an issue, which should free you up to choose whichever you prefer?

That's my opinion at least, what does everyone else think? Interested to hear opinions on this. Thin records definately flatten out over time, but thicker records seem to show greater resistance to warping in the first place.

BTW, how much is this costing you? If you don't mind me asking

a singel 1mm 12" costs 20 euro

a singel 2mm 12" costs 30 euro

a singel 1mm 10" costs 25 euro

a singel 1mm 7" costs 15 euro

they also do pressings:

50 12"s cost 600 euro

100 12"s cost 700 euro

250 12"s cost 800 euro

500 12"s cost 1000 euro

but i'm only interested in singel carved ones to have the samples i only got as mp3 or wav on vinyl.

you can check http://www.vinyl-recording.de for further information ( just click the american flag to get the english version of the site)

i think thats one of the best things about scratch live it pays itself back, if u understand what im getting at

hmm - i don't know if i really get what you mean. do you mean that the price of serato or final skratch equals the price of individually cut records after a while/ a bunch of individual records?

You also need to make a DAT tape am i right?... obviously i don't know the ins and out but i'm sure i seen something saying you needed a DAT tape or something.. I mean you can't just approach them with a compact disc no?

I've never got any vinyl cut, but on almost all the sites I've seen that offer the service, you can even email an .mp3, so I don't think a DAT is required at all.

So say you bought 500 pressings right... what then? how do you distribute them?... what i mean is do you single out a suitable store and walk in and say "look-at you wanting to buy these 12's mate" and for egsample take 10 in and charge him £30?

You can either do your own distribution to stores - i.e. 'sale & return'

If you want to get on a distributor, you usually send off your product, along with a press release....you can also submit your records to promo lists - if you receive good feedback, it's another thing to add to your press release....

• 2 weeks later...

i made my order yesterday. unfortunately 1mm thick 12" 's can only be carved on one side, so i had to order 2 since i had prepared 2 x 12 minutes of samples (12 mins is what fits on one side). i just hope the quality will be good. if so i will really be using these records a lot - i'll have unskippable beep-ahhs, my favorite drum samples, bass samples and different instrument/ ambiance samples on each record.

i can already think of lots of other ideas for individual records, e.g. having all samples from certain tracks one after another on a record for live performance/ jamming purposes or having a record with all your favorite skratch beats etc.

the dude's at vinyl-recording.de even offer label and cover art for the single carved ones, so i might have all of my best tracks carved on a record with some nice artwork...

i just had a look at vinyl carvers, and they look pretty spiffy. Should i get them from there, or this vinyl recording place? anyone got more experience with this kind of thing?

oh, and if anyone's got any advice to impart before i drop some dosh on some custom records, like things to avoid, fuck ups i might make etc, i'd love to hear it.

peace out

the only thing i recognized is that vinylcarvers seem to be a bit more expensive, but national shipping would be less expensive than international shipping on the other hand.

i send the vinyl-recording guys my money today, hopefully it won't take too long. i'll let ya'll know about the quality of the records when they arrive...

the records have arrived today. i just had a quick check and they're really dope. since they are so thin they perfectly flatten out on the platter, although they are a little bit warped when i hold them in the air. but absoltely no skipping at all.

i'm defenately going to do this again. btw can someone hook me up with a really good quality beep-ahh - mp3 sample? a skipless one like from the superseal record.

did you get the clear records airnino, or just the regular kind?

Oh, and how much of a gap would you have to put between two samples so that you could quite clearly drop the record between them? like 2 or 3 revolutions, or more?

the way i'm thinking of doing it is sending them a continuous file, and to line up all my samples so that they all start at 12 o'clock. any tips you'd share after doing it once?

i got clear vinyls because the 1mm ones (skratch vinyls) are only available in clear; also the thin ones can only be carved on one side (12 minutes). once again: the records are skip-proof as fuck.

a problem could be that one can barely see the grooves on the clear vinyl, so in order to find your samples fast i'd recommend somehow bigger gaps. i had the records made only for jamming and production purposes, so i didn't think about how to find certain samples fast to be honest.

to make all the samples start at 12 o'clock you could use a skipless sample section (eg from the superseal record) as a guideline for the gaps.

the only tip i can give ya'll is: everybody get your own custom made records carved; it's easy, it's fast, it's not too expensive, the records have a great quality...