What's your favorite era of hip-hop?

Dan

Yeah for me it was about becoming an adult and finding music I was really feeling for the first time ever. I still listen to tracks that I first heard 20 years ago. Every generation has their own golden era. We're now the old boys saying "Oh that 50 Cent - new fangled nonsense" but for some kids out there he's gonna be who they remember in 20 years time.

Yeah definitely. I used to fucking LOVE Stetsasonic. Having a live drummer made some of their stuff sound wicked. "Just Say Stet" and "It's In My Song" are still two tracks I can listen to daily.

Two of the members of Stet were in the Gravediggaz - Prince Paul and Fruitkwan. Prince Paul did lots of different production work with people like De La Soul, Jungle Brothers etc. and also made a short hip hop movie called "A Prince Among Thieves". Daddy-O went on to have a couple of solo tracks out and remixed other artists like Mary J Blige and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. DBC also went on to make a few solo records. The other members were Wise, Delite and the drummer, Bobby Simmons.

The album for me was "In Full Gear" that came out in 1988. It was just the fucking dog's bollocks at the time.

Hold on I need to contradict myself a little more to be like him........

Battles are wack, but I'd win any battle! Fighting is wack and if you say it's not I'll kick your fucking face in!

That's more like it. My spelling's a lot better too though.

I agree with tdo that is my favorit era too. I also think todays stuff sounds like crap. Like the new Beastie Boys album, there are some songs that sound alright on it, but the rest of the Album sucks. I miss a lot of there old stuff. I still think I'll comunication is the best.

for me it has to be 83 to 89 too.

and stetsasonic ruled - just say stet is a masterpiece ( i have it on vinyl! )

the mid eighties, where scratching really started to get good.

shit by true mathematics, epmd, all that good shit.

there is too many timeless tracks of that era to list

rebel without a pause

we could used to this (the alliance)

the electro albums (a uk series, made by streetsounds)

the getaway version of you're gonna get yours!!

the early KRS1 stuff - poetry - south bronx

dopeness with a captial DO

Edited by 2ndHand

i liked the tracks that had cutting throughout.

the way stet used to do it

a case-in-point is aladdin's on a rampage - the cuts form part of the verses, then the lyrics tail off and the crazy cuts take over.

On a UK tip I think the scene is the best that it has ever been ...

Pure hip hop would have to be the same as most on here 83 90ish .. Although some really good stuff has landed over the past 5 years ...