Should everyone stop doing ahh freestyles forever?

Guest Vekked

i'm not really sure what people are looking for when they're saying how much they hate ahh solo files

should no one ever do them ever again?

or should everyone just be good as soon as they start?

is there another way to practice and record to get proper feedback on technique and phrasing?

i just don't really know where the anti-ahh freestyling is going, other than more and more complaining...

pz!

i dont think thats what people were getting at mate

they were only commenting on how most files sound the same

and of course, they will sound similar.

i jus take it for wat it is.....a practice file

right, but aren't 90% of solo files done by people who have like 5 years or less experience on the decks?

I think it's sort of obvious that they sound similar a lot of times, I wouldn't expect someone to try to have a distinct/original style on any instrument usually... but if you have 10 years experience I probably would, and most are distinct and original by that time.

pz!

Should everyone stop playing acoustic guitar riffs forever?

To me an ahh is the most stripped down element of scratching. Along with the Fresh the beep and the AaahYeah.

You have set standards. Like 440 A for guitars and what not. Well Aaah is our 440 A. Now everything you do aside from the ahh or with the ahh is you creativity and interpretation.

Everyone can sit down and learn to play a clean acoustic guitar. But then you progress into playing electric guitars with solos and efx and different tunings. Doesnt mean that one should never go back to their "roots" and churn out some acoustic riffs.

Standards will be set by natural occurence or set by people. But these are the rules we follow and break. Without a standard, its hard to articulate. Imagine if we didnt have rules for our languages.

To me an ahh is the most stripped down element of scratching. Along with the Fresh the beep and the AaahYeah.

You have set standards. Like 440 A for guitars and what not. Well Aaah is our 440 A. Now everything you do aside from the ahh or with the ahh is you creativity and interpretation.

Everyone can sit down and learn to play a clean acoustic guitar. But then you progress into playing electric guitars with solos and efx and different tunings. Doesnt mean that one should never go back to their "roots" and churn out some acoustic riffs.

Standards will be set by natural occurence or set by people. But these are the rules we follow and break. Without a standard, its hard to articulate. Imagine if we didnt have rules for our languages.

word

This is in response to a load of posts recently:

Guys stop picking apart your own instument, how are we supposed to evolve as musicians if all we do is critisise our own work, turntables are an instrument as long as you consider it to be an instument.

Someone said something along the lines that scratching is just a gimmick, just for fun etc... because all we do is manipulate prerecorded music. Doesn't a producer rearrange prerecorded samples to create music? Does that mean producers are gimmicks?

I for one want to elevate this instument, take it to steps it hasn't been taken before, in this process i want people to teach people that the turntable is an instument, i want kids choosing to play turntables over drums or guitar. I freely admit im still learning ,but aren't we all?

word

This is in response to a load of posts recently:

Guys stop picking apart your own instument, how are we supposed to evolve as musicians if all we do is critisise our own work, turntables are an instrument as long as you consider it to be an instument.

Someone said something along the lines that scratching is just a gimmick, just for fun etc... because all we do is manipulate prerecorded music. Doesn't a producer rearrange prerecorded samples to create music? Does that mean producers are gimmicks?

I for one want to elevate this instument, take it to steps it hasn't been taken before, in this process i want people to teach people that the turntable is an instument, i want kids choosing to play turntables over drums or guitar. I freely admit im still learning ,but aren't we all?

word, completely agree with all that

pz!

i dont think thats what people were getting at mate

they were only commenting on how most files sound the same

and of course, they will sound similar.

i jus take it for wat it is.....a practice file

Exactly. If I can hear a file and tell who did it then I'd rather have that than 10 files all filled with the same delayed flares and crescent turbo scratches. If there were 1,000 QBerts then what he does would no longer stand out.

I think what they meant was DJs separate themselves from producers who do a similar thing. If someone posted a piece of music and said "This is all scratched" (despite it not having any scratching in it) then later said "I lied, it was just samples arranged in Audition" then some people would think of it as a lesser piece of work. People want the turntable to be accepted as an instrument (which it is), but then they also wanna raise it above all others.

i think ppl should stop worry about how they and their instruments are being percieved by others...what does i tmatter what they think if you are getting enjoyment from it

i think ppl should stop worry about how they and their instruments are being percieved by others...what does i tmatter what they think if you are getting enjoyment from it

Some people create for different reasons. I love my music for me, and i do it for me, but I want others to respect it and percieve correctly.

when you say perceive it correctly do you mean we should hear what you hear because you can try as hard as you want and that will never happen. Respect is just given on an individual person basis, some people will hate some wont. You are asking something impossible if I understand your statement i could be wrong

when you say perceive it correctly do you mean we should hear what you hear because you can try as hard as you want and that will never happen.  Respect is just given on an individual person basis, some people will hate some wont.  You are asking something impossible if I understand your statement i could be wrong

Agreed. It's like "scratching with soul". Doesn't every DJ do that? If you're putting your heart into your work then I'll have respect for it whether I like it or not.

And I think ahh scratching is fine, and basically what everyone else said.

If you want to sound different then everyone else then you have to really master the instrument. Look at the violin only a few people have a different sound if that. If the turntable is going to considered an instrument people have to stop thinking they can skip all the years of practice and playing and sound different just after a year of practice . All the rules apply to all instruments. Some people are lucky and do become advanced at scratching but first to write a novel you need to know how to read, then spell, then write and all the other junk. No fucking hoping around.

I think it's impossible for *every single* DJ to sound different, with their own style.

Let's look at other musical instruments. Piano. Guitar. Drums. Double Bass. Bass Guitar. Violin. Harp. Whatever. There are millions of people playing these instruments. We do not expect every one to sound different when they just play their respective instrument, whether it's solo, in a band, or even in composition. How many instrumentalists out there truly stand out, to the point where you can hear them play a riff or an improvised solo, and say "Ah, that's so-and-so". To be honest, I don't think anyone like that exists. Not even Hendrix, or Miles, or Coltrane.

So why do we 'know' these intrumentalists when we hear them? Usually, it's because of their SONGS. Not because Yngwie Malmsteen plays 25 notes a second. Not because Jimi Hendrix plays the guitar backwards. Well, obviously they are well known for things apart from their songs, but at the end of the day, it's what they do with the instrument that counts, rather than how they do it.

So with Ahh and Fresh solo cut files, we're all going to sound the same, because we're all doing chirps, flares, orbits, tears, etc. Just like little Jimmy who's sitting his 8th Grade piano exam, playing a Beethoven composition is going to sound very similar to little Sarah, who's also doing her 8th Grade piano exam, playing a Bach composition. Legato, allegro, all that shit.

Practice files are our equivalent of exams and scales and strumming chords. We have our theory. We have our own ways of 'examining' each other, be it battles or critiques / props. For the majority of us, we'll never get to be 'unique'. Everyday more and more people are getting more skilled at scratching, and unfortunately, until someone else shows us the way, that's where we'll be. There's only ever going to be a few that can push the instrument further. The rest of us will just have to follow. Just like little Jimmy and Sarah will be really good pianists, but they're only going to be as good as their teachers and peers.

I think it's impossible for *every single* DJ to sound different, with their own style.

Let's look at other musical instruments. Piano. Guitar. Drums. Double Bass. Bass Guitar. Violin. Harp. Whatever. There are millions of people playing these instruments. We do not expect every one to sound different when they just play their respective instrument, whether it's solo, in a band, or even in composition. How many instrumentalists out there truly stand out, to the point where you can hear them play a riff or an improvised solo, and say "Ah, that's so-and-so". To be honest, I don't think anyone like that exists. Not even Hendrix, or Miles, or Coltrane.

So why do we 'know' these intrumentalists when we hear them? Usually, it's because of their SONGS. Not because Yngwie Malmsteen plays 25 notes a second. Not because Jimi Hendrix plays the guitar backwards. Well, obviously they are well known for things apart from their songs, but at the end of the day, it's what they do with the instrument that counts, rather than how they do it.

So with Ahh and Fresh solo cut files, we're all going to sound the same, because we're all doing chirps, flares, orbits, tears, etc. Just like little Jimmy who's sitting his 8th Grade piano exam, playing a Beethoven composition is going to sound very similar to little Sarah, who's also doing her 8th Grade piano exam, playing a Bach composition. Legato, allegro, all that shit.

Practice files are our equivalent of exams and scales and strumming chords. We have our theory. We have our own ways of 'examining' each other, be it battles or critiques / props. For the majority of us, we'll never get to be 'unique'. Everyday more and more people are getting more skilled at scratching, and unfortunately, until someone else shows us the way, that's where we'll be. There's only ever going to be a few that can push the instrument further. The rest of us will just have to follow. Just like little Jimmy and Sarah will be really good pianists, but they're only going to be as good as their teachers and peers.

mf'in word, post a file bitch!

...wait, that was uncalled for

uh... pz!