I could do with some scratch lessons

DJS1NNA

I been a dj for a few years but i tend to blend mix more than scratch . I usually mix acapellas and instrumentals with the mix , but i wanna be able to do some nice scratching to bring it all together . I can scratch jus not that good :(( . I tend to do the same scratch all the time . Anyone kno where i can get some Tutorials on the web . Perhaps with diagrams and that . Any help much app .

Peace! : :d

Damn jus realised this is in the wrong section , im bad :$

Edited by DJS1NNA

Volume 2 isn't really a tutorial vid. Volume 1 is actual demonstrations of scratches filmed at various different angles, starting with the very basics and working up to some more complex stuff. QBert scratches hamster (crossfader reversed) so if you scratch regular it might look a bit confusing.

Funny thing is i scratch normally , but if i switch to hamster it sounds better ( more flowin ) . I dont kno if i should change my style to hamster , or is it gonna confuse me more . Another thing is having the right samples to scratch , i need the foundation scratches like ' ahhhhhhhhh' & 'Freeeeesh' , you kno a scratch tool record i can get with these on .

Peace!!

Use whichever style works best for you man. For me hamster style felt natural from the off, even when I used to mess about trying to scratch on home hifis and shit years ago. lol.

Get a copy of SuperSeal if you want the samples most people use like ahhhhhhh and fresh.

i couldnt find any online stores that had superseal.  had to get my copy off ebay.  i like it better than the y record, maybe cuz most of the shit on there really isnt scratchable.  damn you hoga frog

edit: damn you beat me steve

Thanks but i got a few sites to try b4 eBay , all that bidding does me NUT. I never f..kin win , you have been outbid by another Twat is all i get, lol .

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so at the mo im practicin with the fader hamster and using 3 fingers crab style , i keep trying to use four fingers but my little finger aint havin none of it . I get a nice sound sort of tho not fluid , is that the 'orbit'??? . Can someone post a mp3 of what it should sound like ( im using a woman screaming noise , aint found that 'supaseal' yet ).

I can control it , like in time and that . I do a mean transform scratch basically cause its jus flippin the fader fast back n forth , and thats all i done for ages . Its the combo's and crabs i wanna learn cause they sound soooooooo good . What are Twiddles??? . Is that like two fingers??? Hehe me so lame . Or am i getting ahead of myself again . I want it so bad it hurts . I mean literally my arms hurt and my fingers feel numb sometimes . Just to be able to get that sound is eating me up . You kno 'Gang Starr-Step in the arena' the bit where premier scratches 'step up' jus b4 Guru raps the 1st verse , whats that scratch called??? . Such a beautiful sound.

I can control it , like in time and that . I do a mean transform scratch basically cause its jus flippin the fader fast back n forth , and thats all i done for ages . Its the combo's and crabs i wanna learn cause they sound soooooooo good . What are Twiddles??? . Is that like two fingers??? Hehe me so lame . Or am i getting ahead of myself again . I want it so bad it hurts . I mean literally my arms hurt and my fingers feel numb sometimes . Just to be able to get that sound is eating me up . You kno 'Gang Starr-Step in the arena' the bit where premier scratches 'step up' jus b4  Guru raps the 1st verse , whats that scratch called??? . Such  a beautiful sound.

its good that you wanna learn these things, but try think of the route to those scratches instead of just practicing something that is way beyond your current skills as this will slow your development down alot.. after transforms theres alot of cuts you can learn, try 1 and 2 click flares + orbits, learn them slow and build up speed, then try combining them.. then try flowing with them and combining transforms with flares etc.. once you have these down maybe you'll find it easier to do crabs etc

twiddles are just fast transforms done by tapping the index and middle on the fader one after the other, pretty simple stuff really, sounds impressive but its nothin more then just clickin really.. although if you checked some of screwd's files on djbattle.net's audio section hes made some really dope patterns from that tech..

i guess the best advice i could give you is try to push yourself by trying new things out, but dont jus try to learn something extremely complex because it will only slow you down.. when you improve you might go back to something you found hard and it will be easier to do because youve practiced to control the scratches which make up that combo