Breaking My Mind Gabe Saint MattNice

mattnice

i meant style as in stuff im interested in.  sorta the stuff other people said, less mainstreamish.  as for not making money unless its mainstream...horse crap.  if everyone did the same shit everyone else did how would music ever progress. how did we get funk and reggae and rock? surely they weren't always around.

The music industry is not the same as it was 5 10 or 20 years ago. These days your first album is for the people and the companies, and your second album is about you. You obviously havent worked with any record companies, as one of the most quoted things i have been hearing is, "Its not 100% about what you like, its about what the people buying like." 10 years ago it was a wide market. Today its oversatturated.

Og and BTW I could play reggae or rock or some eclectic style that only I like all day everyday as can anyone else. BUT YOULL BE BROKE!

I listen to music I like, I make music I like for fun, I MAKE MUSIC THAT SELLS FOR MONEY!

I dont wanna be a starving artist anymore.

NAME ONE GROUP THATS MAKING BANK THATS NOT EITHER MAINSTREAM OR BEEN GRINDING FOR 10 TO 15 YEARS?

......NONE

BTW Thanx for listening and thanks for the feedback.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anticon is still pushin albums...

i forget the others.. holdup.

[edit]

stones throw

nature sounds

ninja tune

galapagos4 (maybe)

quannum

they may not all be bling bling, but theyre doing pretty well for themselves IMO...

I love the way my friends talk shit behind my back, and no underground dont make musch money. I have seen Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Mac Leathal, who ever and they are broke. They play at lil hole in the wall clubs to 50 to 100 people. Look at Rucker, he has more hype on the net and underground than most and he is still broke. Look at his shows, hes lucky if anyone shows up. I have a good job and I make good money and its what I like to do. Music is my passion. I am sorry if your passion is to make music that only you the creator an understand. I want to make music that reaches the masses. if my passion is to become my work I better make bank!

People always love a group UNTIL... They get signed and start making money. FUCK THAT! Nobody is working for nothing. i can sit home and I do sit home and make scratch tracks, blend records, and program creative tracks, but thats just for me. I want to make money making music, is that so wrong?

They pecentage of people who listen to underground music, or like scratch music, or that go to this message boards and have the capacity to understand music is very small. The world is full of dumbass that need music that they appreciate. I want to reach all of them! If you only reach one and not the other, you getting nowhere. The underground gets you respect and the mainstream gets you money. I'll be damned if Ill be respected and broke as a joke, but i would be alright with millions of dollars. So what if a bunch of imaatture kids think I am sell out. I bet they still buy the albums. Keep hatin.

BTW all the labels you named are broke in comparison to most major labels. Plus these cats have been hustlin for years. They want to get big dollars and they want to be mainstream, they just arent there yet. Plus, when they get there and finally make it , insecure listeners hate on them cause they "sold out."

If it dont make money, stay at home and make it a hobby.

Is this why your other band sounds like Linkin Park Gabe? :p

gabe's one step closer to the edge, about to break his mind! :p

Half the shows recognition whatever come from me, all I do is try to help you, and you talk shit about me on the web. Thanx friend!

Half the shows recognition whatever come from me, all I do is try to help you, and you talk shit about me on the web. Thanx friend!

I don't even know what that means. Was it directed at me or Mowgli cos you quoted us both?

I quoted iExist and you not Mowgli. I was just mostly referring to iexist in the above quote. But you too, can you quit with the sarcastic negativity! I take this music shit seriously, and I like to count on you as a friend that helps me out and that I help out. Why take random stabs at me in the dark?

Bullshit dude. People do sell out. Moby, for example, who became a complete hippocrite sellout. Who talked shit about corporate crap and had an entire cd booklet about how meat packaging companies are evil, and then sold the rights for every single song on his cd to companies that wanted to use them for commercials.

Bullshit dude. People do sell out. Moby, for example, who became a complete hippocrite sellout. Who talked shit about corporate crap and had an entire cd booklet about how meat packaging companies are evil, and then sold the rights for every single song on his cd to companies that wanted to use them for commercials.

Moby was trying to make money from day one! Its all about an image. He had to build that "underground image" in order to gain some respect as a DJ. Who in there right mind would turn down money? He would have sold his tracks from the start, problem is he didnt have any offers. Once he got recognition, he had tons of buysers so he sold them. The reason he was hating was becuase 1 he wasw broke and 2 it was good for his image.

My Image equals FUCK the MAINSTREAM and FUCK THE UNDERGROUND! Im am gonna do what i like what I am good at and what people will buy!

I don't even know what that means. Was it directed at me or Mowgli cos you quoted us both?

I quoted iExist and you not Mowgli. I was just mostly referring to iexist in the above quote. But you too, can you quit with the sarcastic negativity! I take this music shit seriously, and I like to count on you as a friend that helps me out and that I help out. Why take random stabs at me in the dark?

I'm not taking stabs at you. Everyone else is. I made a joke.

If you can handle making what's essentially pop music just for cash then go for it. I didn't realise that someone who purports to be so into art and music is actually motivated by money.

Its no front. I am built around art since day one. My mom was an artist. A great painter. Did she ever make money from painting ,NO! She is a insureence agent. I have won many painting contests, and scholarships to school. i won 3 scholarships to Art school based on my music and art. When I got in school they told me to give up fine art, and music, if i want to make a living. THE SCHOOL TOLD ME THAT. Its just statistics. Talent and passion dont make money! Buisiness makes money. I got more talent and passion than most, i just also have a strong business mind as well.

No record companies or anyone else for that matter will give 2 fucks about you if your not making money. The way it looks, people like me that lead their whole life creating art, passionatly die broke, and become well known and respected after death. Now thats nice and all, BUT WHAT ABOUT RIGHT NOW!

Is this why your other band sounds like Linkin Park Gabe? :p

gabe's one step closer to the edge, about to break his mind! :p

thats not shit talkin gabe. thats far from it.

im not comin down on you @ all..

i was just being me.

i just put steve's "joke" or "shit talk" and added the title of the song.

it seemed to fit.

give me more credit than that & laugh with me.

i wouldnt go out of my way to saying something "bad" about you on a msg board you read when you live 5 minutes away.

i love you gabe.