the best raps lyrically

la ressistance

i'm not a huge rap fan and tend to stick to instrumentals or turntablist rap(dilated peoples,p.u.t.s. dr octagon that sort of shit) but i heard stepfather factory by el-p and it blew me away.that shit's so clever that it got me wanting more clever hip-hop with lyrics that make you really pay attention.

I absolutely hate commercial rap ,but i'm really appreciating jay-z since hearing 99 problems ,but i wanna find some stuff that's not so well known.

So anyway,I'm looking for some really clever rhyming or raps that are deep and saying something.What stuff do you all appreciate ,and get's you thinking ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother Ali is a really inspirational and powerful story teller-

ohhhhhhhhhhh and the biggest grandady extended metaphor track of them all.........

Common - I Used to Love H.E.R.

Common's "Retrospect on Life" is also really powerful because of the way its written

Guest Vekked

if you're looking COMPLETELY technically and lyrically, Paul Barman owns, hahaha, cept he's a nerd who has a nursery rhyme-esque flow, but his lyrics are nutty how complex they are sometimes

pz!

i drifted away from rap because of the consistently poor quality of material released by even my favorite emcees lately, but the lifesavas - spirit in stone is the nicest shit i've heard in a long long time. also anything by LA Symphony is extremely refreshing like the good old days. they are a self proclaimed christian crew but i dont find them preachy which is good saying i hate preachy fucks. i never got too much into nerd rap but i have liked some of it that i have heard. i am more of a stakes is high-gravity-midnight marauders-do you want more-soundpieces-etc type person.

people might disagree with me but nas has always been one of my favorites and politically immortal technique, crazy asss peruvian. of course krs-One aswell and definitely common

Man I can't believ no one mentioned PERCEE P on here. Check out the older collabs with Big Daddy Kane, Lord Finesse (also one of my fav lyricists) and the more recent Lung Collapsing Lyrics pt. II with Soul Purpose.

The man's got an lp coming up as well, first single should be out by now.

Also MF ofcourse, Kool Keith and Immortal Technique.

if you're looking COMPLETELY technically and lyrically, Paul Barman owns, hahaha, cept he's a nerd who has a nursery rhyme-esque flow, but his lyrics are nutty how complex they are sometimes

pz!

cheers for the replys ,i'm downloading as i type. Yeah i love paul barman especially yamulka bra. i don't know if he released it on an album 'cos i had it on a free cd and it's amazing. if anyone wants it i'll post it.