Lap Top shopping

Mixologist

Ok well my b-day is coming up along with my senior year, so i'm trying tto talk the rents into getting my me lap top. In a previous topic, I asked what should i look for in a lap top, having read the suggestions, i've come upon some laptops i like.

I obviously want a power laptop, however it needs to be portable, so there needs to be a compromise. This is my thinking, i want a nice portable/thin laptop that can be as pwoerful as it can, I.E. it doesn't need to have to contend with a desktop. My friends can build me a top of the line pc for me for 600 dollars, even cheaper than that probably. This means i don't need one of those THICK and HEAVY portable pc's.

Also it was reccomended i should go with 1gb ram, which is what i plan on doing.

Also it was reccomended that i stay away from Sony Vaio's, however, i do like there sleekness, and amazing screen, and it's easy to find ones with 512 and 1gb ram, as well as either with a p4 , p4 mobile, or pentium m chip. So should i still be staying away from sony or what>?

I'm hopeuflly gonna use this pc for college, BUT I will want to do alot with audio programs, so hopefully i can get one with a decent audio card. Games will be used minimally. I jsut want a powerful laptop where i can have maybe 3 Large programs open simultaneiously without having it to pause if you know what i mean. I also want to get more into graphic designs and what not, so i'm hoping to have my lap top, be able to perform all of this easily.

Here's one of the laptops that i think might do the job Acer TM3002

The ram can be upgraded, and it has 6.5 hour battery life with both batteries.

So what do you guys think, am i heading down the right path?

When i walked into circuit city and looked at the acers i was surprised by how nice the screens were. But to be honest, i like the screens of the sony's as well as the sleekness to them, plus they are media friendly

Don't get a toshiba...I have one and it's a worthless piece of crap. I've replaced the same components multiple times (under warranty though).

I would def opt for the Alienware. They have a proven track record (just look at the awards section on their site!), they use really good components, they have incredible customer service, and they really know what they're doin. All that comined makes for an amazing laptop. They've also got a lot more options to choose from in customizing the specs of the computer. Not to mention they look cool as hell.

If you were looking for a budget laptop I would probably say go for a refurbished Dell because they make fairly solid computers and they have good customer service. They mainly specialize in home use computers and some business use, but the majority of their energy is put towards family-oriented desktops and small business servers. Although you can customize Dells more so than some of the other makers, they dont specialize in custom laptops like Alienware does, meaning you'll most likely end up paying more for the same system, and with a less promising performance guarantee.

IBM makes relatively good computers, but your options are pretty limited as far as customization. They have pretty good customer service.

HP also makes relatively good computers, but not quite as good as IBMs, and you face the same customization issue

Gateway makes okay computers. They arent all that customizable, and are kind of your run-of-the-mill laptop. Their customer service is pretty good, but you face a lot of the same customization issues.

Sony's computers are well built, but their more performance oriented ones are quite heavy and bulky, and are generally overpriced. Therefore, if you go for the customization route, which I'd encourage you to do, you'll be paying a lot.

As far as the other custom computer companies are concerned, none of them can touch alienware. Even if they look good, seem well built, and have good customer service...even if they're somewheat cheaper than Alienware, going with that you know to be a fantastic computer with a proven record and a billion testimonials and awards to back it up will give you the best investment.

To add to that post...I should say that I'm not quite as big a fan of the alienware laptops as I was. They do make really good computers, but you might be better off having one custom built by someone locally.

i would definately go for the 1gb memory as a must. 60gb...is that enough???

depending on what you use it for

ive got 30 mixes done in wav, wma and mp3.....altogether it adds up to 8gb (an 80min mix using .wav is approx 750mb)

depending what you r gonna use it for really

(if your going for a gaming station make sure you et the best possible)

One thing about that acer...call Acer and ask what the ram configuration is. Most likely, it's 2 sticks of 256mb ddr ram. That means if you want to upgrade to 1 gig, you have to buy 2 sticks of 512mb ram, and you're left with your two original ones to do fuck all with.

One thing about that acer...call Acer and ask what the ram configuration is. Most likely, it's 2 sticks of 256mb ddr ram. That means if you want to upgrade to 1 gig, you have to buy 2 sticks of 512mb ram, and you're left with your two original ones to do fuck all with.

Yea i was just reading about that, no worries though. But I also plan on getting a external hard drive as well, so the 60 gb will be used sparingly and then hopefully have another 100gb

cheeba alienware is too expensive for what it is, besides i'm not playing games.

Steve, I won't have a desktop. I'm going to college and my parents are obviously gonna keep the desktop. I was htinking about building my own down the road, my cousin and my friend built there own, getting everything off www.newegg.com and obviously it's much cheaper.

I've been really interested in buying a laptop for a few months now.

If i had one then it would be completely deticated to music. I've been writing music for about 6 years now and have never performed anything.

Can you get laptops with MIDI inputs? If so then can you get 2 - 3 inputs?

I wouldn't need any more space than 40GB.

Recommend any sites for more info?

Look at ASUS laptops too. They are the OEM for some Sony Vaios and also some Acer laptops.

Vaios are really good though, but definitely the high end of the price bracket. No reason to stay away from them apart from that, I don't think.

I've been really interested in buying a laptop for a few months now.

If i had one then it would be completely deticated to music. I've been writing music for about 6 years now and have never performed anything.

Can you get laptops with MIDI inputs? If so then can you get 2 - 3 inputs?

I wouldn't need any more space than 40GB.

Recommend any sites for more info?

you can get a laptop with an mbox (www.digidesign.com) which has 2 focusrite preamps and midi too, runs protools (you get the latest protools software with it), and you can run logic n shit on there too - i've got one with an ibook for a mobile setup so i can write anywhere, and the sessions drop straight into the big protools setup i have, but the mbox is great for portability and will set you back a few hundred quid - great bang for the buck.

Edited by drakule