SETTING UP SHURE M44-7 CARTS

Steve

.:. SETTING UP SHURE M-447 CARTRIDGES .:.

Shure's M44-7s seem to be the weapons of choice for most DJs that scratch. If you set them up wrong then at best your records will skip and at worst you'll wear your beloved vinyl collection away in no time. The definitive guide to setting them up is called the Book of Shure and can be viewed here.........

.:. BOOK OF SHURE .:.

Also, check out the manual in pdf format: -

.:. SHURE MANUAL .:.

Personally, I use 2.5 grammes of weight. You may need to set this a little higher at first, but when you develop a lighter touch then lower it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah man I know all about that! Hehe. Just take a look into the hole and make sure there's no metal strips blocking it. One of the strips had come away from the edge on my cart and when I pushed the needle in it fucked it up totally. I'd been swapping the needles frequently though cos I had a new one for recording and a shitty old one for scratching my fucked up battle weapons.

I wouldn't - you might do more harm than good. I'd had my carts for about 2 years and in that time I'd been taking various needles in and out of one deck a lot. It just wore out I guess. Just put the new one in slowly and if you feel any resistance, stop pushing and check the hole. It's unlikely to happen to you if you've been rocking the same needles for a while and you ain't been swapping them about like me.

im praying that when i go to put the new ones in they wont bend and get all out of shape

That's a fairly normal characteristic of Shures mate. They wear in and become fairly deck-specific.

Shures are also damn fragile (as Gav found out last month, ha ha ha), so take care of 'em.

I'd just like to say that I've been riding on the same ort dj-s for three years. I'll probabbly pick up some whitelabels eventually, but DAMN are the orts ever under-rated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

just for info if you are going to be scratching reove the weights (on tonearm and extra weight on needles) this is for mixing only as it holds the groove better under harsh conditions (ie when music is thumping) this is because its the whole thing is heavier therefore needing more force to move in any direction. When scratching we are moving it in all direction and the heavier it is ther harder it is for it to change directions quickly..thus making more skippage.

In practice this is true..ive have always used weights and ive had a few skippages..now without weights the only skippages i get is due to technique (trying to use to hands on record)