"Wobbly" monitor picture

Steve

Every so often my the picture on my monitor kind of wobbles. It's a bit like the interference you get from your mobile phone. I've checked out all the connections and everything seems OK. Is this a sign of impending doom? This monitor isn't all that old and it's an Iiyama - usually they're pretty good.

tried degausing it??? have you got any interference (tv ariels and other electrical appliance which you may have recently added)

maybe a few well placed kicks maight help

might be the power supply. I get mad wobbles on my monitor at work when my colleague comes in and turns on his monitor. It only lasts for a split second but it's clearly a sign of power loss of some sort. So I guess when the power supply of the monitor starts breaking down it might do weird things like this.

I got that problem for about a year in my last house. I thought my monitor was messing up but obviously not. I couldn't find out what was causing it but when i moved out it was all good again.

There might be a ghost sitting on your shoulder steve.

Well I can definitely recommend Iiyama as far as after sales service goes. I emailed them to say my monitor was buggered, but I couldn't find the receipt (I later found it anyway) and didn't know if it was still under warranty. They asked me to mail them the serial number on the back, which I did and then they got back to me 10 minutes later to say they'd replace it with a brand new one on Wednesday. :d

Guest Deeswift

That's really cool of them to do so. I doubt many companies would do that.

On another note, I'm really digging this Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB. The crispness of the picture is just unreal!

I got a Hyundai 19" monitor which completely shits on the Philips monitor I have at work and even the HP P1100 21" monitor I'm currently using. unfortunately the Hyundai has a wobbly picture as well. it all started out when I moved it from the bedroom to the livingroom.

Guest Deeswift

Did you happen to move your monitor too, by any chance, Steve? I know that the positioning can affect things, which I guess is something to do with magnetism? Anyway, my Mitsubishi user manual suggests facing the monitor east. I could be talking complete rubbish here. Just a thought.

Another thought is the video card. I remember an old nVidia MX400 developing some weird wobbly picture shit before it passed away.

I didn't pick it up and move it, but I often rotate the screen depending on where I'm sitting. Since I made the first post, now sometimes the monitor clicks like it does when it's first switched on and the picture looks like it's shrunk and all the colours are washed out. If I grab the monitor and give it a little shake, it clicks again and goes back to normal.

I'm guessing, but I think all the rotating it side to side has made the cable that connects it to the graphics card come loose inside. I've tried replacing the power cable, but the cable that connects it to the graphics card is not removeable.

I would never even have considered magnetism.

Cheers dood.

when the iiyama wobbles its on its way out.

been using them screens for many years.

they start off with a few shakes, going dim them bright, then the screen shrinks in and out, kinda pulsating.

this all happens gradually. but eventually it will pop.

not sure why yours has worn out so quick though. some do, however i have some 17 inchers here at work that are 6 years old and still fine. maybe the cigarette smoke takes its toll (on yours)

on the desk next to me i have 5 spare 17" iiyamas, and 2 spare 19" iiyamas. on my own desk i have 3 x 22" iiyamas. under my desk i have half a dozen other 15 - 17" screens of various shady brands. since the company i work for lost 60% of its work / staff, i have an abundance of screenage. got half a dozen p2 pc's under my desk too.

Guest Deeswift
when the iiyama wobbles its on its way out.

been using them screens for many years.

they start off with a few shakes, going dim them bright, then the screen shrinks in and out, kinda pulsating.

this all happens gradually. but eventually it will pop.

not sure why yours has worn out so quick though. some do, however i have some 17 inchers here at work that are 6 years old and still fine. maybe the cigarette smoke takes its toll (on yours)

on the desk next to me i have 5 spare 17" iiyamas, and 2 spare 19" iiyamas. on my own desk i have 3 x 22" iiyamas. under my desk i have half a dozen other 15 - 17" screens of various shady brands. since the company i work for lost 60% of its work / staff, i have an abundance of screenage. got half a dozen p2 pc's under my desk too.

Damn, 3 X 22" monitors? That's just GREEDY, Grae! Send me one, for free. Ta.

was it the cable then?

I dunno. I tried wobbling it about at the back to recreate the fuck ups, but it didn't do it, although when the monitor went all weird it would go back to normal if I gave it a slap. Must have been a loose connection somewhere but it's bang on now.