What do you consider to be basic skratching techs?

Graft

Also finally, the amount of prople who think they can do flares but can't and just hit the fader out of time is stupid.

who was the guy at london DMC who managed to do this consistently badly?

Fucking lol. He was the best man.

i just remember cringing at the back whilst repeatedly burning my scrote with a lighter as a form of self-flagalation for not entering....

i dont know half of those 'basic' scratches. i aint been at it long and im flexin crabs n flares n trasformers n tears full stop.

better get on some tutorial videos so i can improve my variations.

peace.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally believe that learning the basics will help you advance much faster. If you can perform basic cuts which are the basis for advanced cuts then you will obviously pick up advanced cuts quicker then someone who just skips and goes straight for the tech stuff. Its like using the fader as soon as you start learning to scratch, your making yourself do 2 things at once straight away which wont help your progression.

Its like using the fader as soon as you start learning to scratch, your making yourself do 2 things at once straight away which wont help your progression.

I don't see anything wrong with learning fader cuts straight away. Teaches left-right co-ordination from the get go.

i cant play this game cos i dont kno the names of my cuts, i have my own ones,

but surely the basics are what u find easiest, then from there u move on, what someone might find hard, another might find easy, so from that point of view how can there be "set" basics

( ima post a file soon, and then ppl can tell me the name of the shit i use)

:)

Guest Deeswift
i've still got my first practice tape i made. PURE cringe inducing, im trying to do everything all at once and it just sounds like a big mess LOL. i thought i was the bomb though!

Werd. You should hear mine, it's hilarious!

i've still got my first practice tape i made. PURE cringe inducing, im trying to do everything all at once and it just sounds like a big mess LOL. i thought i was the bomb though!

This is a true story. When I was about 19 I copped off with a really good looking girl who was about 25. It was the first time I'd ever got off with anyone who I thought was a real corker so I wanted to impress her. I made here a tape with loads of scratching when I had just started learning. We went out that night. She gave me a special handshake at the end of the night and told me she was almost in love with me. I gave her the tape. She never phoned me again.

True story.

This is a true story. When I was about 19 I copped off with a really good looking girl who was about 25. It was the first time I'd ever got off with anyone who I thought was a real corker so I wanted to impress her. I made here a tape with loads of scratching when I had just started learning. We went out that night. She gave me a special handshake at the end of the night and told me she was almost in love with me. I gave her the tape. She never phoned me again.

True story.

L :(( L

sorry, im not sure i should be laughing, that is a great story tho

True story.

:(( :(( :((

DissCuss - that story has gotta be the most relevant thing to tell a DJ whos gettin' into it to "be cool"

..and...Im usin it as my sig,lol

.....and on the scratch technique tip...Im in the same boat as nin-jazz,Been scratchin for about a year but only by myself and without the aid of things like DIY...

....although....i would REALLY appreciate someone ripping a copy for me as Im pickin up my 1st set of two techs this weekend and kinda wanna stop soundin like an arse :p

True story.

:| FLOL! :((

Excellent story! I guess that's why I never got around to making my girlfriend a tape either.

I consider the basic technique of scratching to be putting a body part onto your plastic and tickling it *just right* to achieve nice sounds. Adding fader clicks to modify the sound is a very good move, too... although not essential.

The amount of times I read posts by DJ's who want a scratch 'shopping list' is crazy... there's ALWAYS going to be stuff you don't quite get. Don't beat yourself up about the stuff that doesn't come naturally; work with the stuff that comes to you, that's what creating your own style is about.

I remember Deeswift mentioning his buddy Awkward and his total inability to perform even one-click flares. Going by what people say about flares being 'essential basics', you think that this guy couldn't cut for shit... WRONG.

There's plenty of shit that I'm lame at, and probabbly always will be. Fuck that. You can't do everything, just work on your own style.

If I could begin again 'from scratch' (ha ha, very funny Liam), I'd probabbly ignore every single piece of tuition out there and just work with sounds. That's how I started for the first year or so, and to be honest, I made more headway in my OWN direction in that year than I have in all the years since. Learning 'other people's cuts' has just made me into a lamer verstion of them. A non-master. I sound better (and more original) if I just freak a tone in my own style and concentrate on the sound more than where I'm putting the clicks.

There is a LOT of truth in the idea that mastery of all the basic techniques opening doors for you, allowing your to express yourself through your scratches. But for god's sake, BACK THIS UP WITH YOUR OWN STYLE.

I've lost count of the number of files I hear that just sound like somebody has learned most of the cuts on DIY1 and put them in some order. I've got a lot of respect for people with the dedication to learn this stuff, but I don't want to hear a second rate Qbert. I want to hear somebody funk out in their own style.

Each and every person here reading this has the potential to craft their own unique branch of scratch. Fact.

So go do it.

That's just the way I see it