M447

easydrop

I'd say the opposite. I use 2.5 grammes for the tonearm setting and I don't use the additional weight. I get no skipping at all. I'd say let your needle wear in first though.

Try it with and without the weight and see what is better. Really though, the tonearm is a counterbalance. If you install the weight or not, you still balance it then add 2.5-4 grammes of weight so I don't see what difference it makes.

oh, thanks..so quick reply !!

alrite I will put the extra weight thing on later on !!!

yeah..i have heard about they need time to get to the best performace..which means i need to pratice more to get them un-sharp ?!

i wouldn't worry about my decks, coz i just changed to a steady one...never wobble

anyway, thanks for solving my problem !!

DON'T PUT THE EXTRA WEIGHT ON. extra weight can cause needles to skip even more. leave them on a stationary record overnight. let them break in, this can take up to a month. use to more than 3g's of weight with no square weight piece. this is what gives most people the best results. also reduces vinyl wear too...

Alright whatever you do don't put the extra weight on. in stead lleave it around 3, make sure the tonearm is lying straight across when you place the needle n the record too. now WITHOUT the record playing, leave the tonearm set up like that for a couple of days, it won't be totally borken in after those couple of days, it'll porbably take like huw said around amonth of just regular usage, but leaving the tone arm set-up speeds up the process

for me, i usually place the needle down fairly carefully, its kinda rare for me to drop the needle to the side, or onto the record. i might drop it if i'm in a hurry 'cause i didnt cue-up the record in time, with 10 sec. left in the current track for example.

nah...that record is flat !! and i clean my record regularly as well

what i am think is, maybe before i got the m447

i was scratching with the old cartrigde, which is actually so much damage ( by my fuckin cousin ) and i was scratchin on that particular battle record all the time..so i might fuck it up that way ~~

I guess...

Hehe. I think back on the Stanton board I said the same thing to Dub and he took the weights off and found it to be worse. Also a mate of mine had to put the weights on because his needles were skipping, but his Techs are about 10 years old and the tonearms are a bit loose. I'd always advise people to start off without them though and only add them if they have problems.

Aren't the extra headshell weights used so you can balance the tonearm properly?

Like if the counter-weight at the back of the tonearm is too heavy, and you can't actually get the tone-arm to 'float' prior to putting any weight on it, *then* you put on the extra headshell weight.

Anyhoo, here's how I balance my tonearms for use with the M447's. It's actually a well documented technique, written by Shure themselves, and has appeared on the Shure Turntablism 101 video & the instructions that come with your carts!

Mount the cart in your headshell, and attach it to the tonearm. Then turn the counter weight anticlockwise enough, so that the tonearm floats, and is level. Use the extra headshell weight OR the extra bit at the end of your tonearm if you need to. This is your zero point. Adjust the black circle on the counterweight so that it reads '0'. Now turn the counterweight clockwise til you get to '3' - this is therefore 3 grams of weight on the needle. You can go between 3g and 3.5g. I personally use 3g (less weight = less record wear).

Antiskate should be set to zero, and I usually put the height of the tonearm at the lowest setting (ie the large ring at the base of the tonearm mechanism) turned anti-clockwise all the way).

Also, I've found needles to be pretty tough! I've had them bent one way, only to be bent back and they still work. Not the best for tracking after that has happened though, but at least it still worked!

One cartridge that's terrible is the sc35c. It's horrible. I went through sooo many stylii when i used those things. they tear up your records and don't track particularly well. So now i just have two of them sitting around with no stylii that i never use.