M447

easydrop

yeah Sigma told me while ago on how to setup the tonearm..exactly what u say man !! I am not using the extra weight thing and with 3g ..i am using str8-80 and it works pretty good now

btw, before my new m447 I was using the stanton 520 cartridge too

its trash..not for scratch at all coz it skip like hell

m447 is the best always

ive just used a spirit level on my decks and the amount it has helped to stop skippage is great...wouldnt say my decks where that far out but it does help. To do this check the level one way 1st (moving both feet at the same time) then 90deg from check the level. once done make sure all 4 feet are touching the base (if not u will get a rockin effect going on with ya decks)

with the debate about the weights. yes with or without the tonearm will still be balanced. but say that you had 2 see-saws. one had a pack of hula hoops at both ends. the other a transit van at both ends. both see-saws will still be balanced but the transit van one will be more difficult to move back and forth. but also it will be harder to stop the swinging effect as it has much more weight. personally i think that as scratchers are always moving the record forwards and backwards the needle will also be moving up and down. with more weight this is gonna be harder to settle down thus making the needle skip. as long as you are light handed this is the best way to go by my views

don't mean to be rude, beanie...but how reliable are your sources haha. I don't know anyone first hand who's had any problems with skipping or record wear from the radio shack stylii. If they're made out of the same materials and have the same stylus shape, i can't see much of a substantive difference between the two. In fact i'd bet that shure spread some shit on the DJ boards (as a lot of companies tend to do) saying that the radio shack ones are wack so people will spend triple that on genuine shure replacements. But maybe i'm just a conspiracy theorist.

ive just used a spirit level on my decks and the amount it has helped to stop skippage is great...wouldnt say my decks where that far out but it does help. To do this check the level one way 1st (moving both feet at the same time) then 90deg from check the level. once done make sure all 4 feet are touching the base (if not u will get a rockin effect going on with ya decks)

with the debate about the weights. yes with or without the tonearm will still be balanced. but say that you had 2 see-saws. one had a pack of hula hoops at both ends. the other a transit van at both ends. both see-saws will still be balanced but the transit van one will be more difficult to move back and forth. but also it will be harder to stop the swinging effect as it has much more weight. personally i think that as scratchers are always moving the record forwards and backwards the  needle will also be moving up and down. with more weight this is gonna be harder to settle down thus making the needle skip. as long as you are light handed this is the best way to go by my views

I dunno about that.

Because if both see-saws are equally balanced, and all you do is put 3g of weight on one end, it's still only going to take 3g of weight in the opposite direction to move the see-saw back off the ground. Regardless if it's hula-hoops, transit vans or Shure M44-7's. It's all about the 3g of weight you put on it AFTER it's balanced. The side to side movement of the needle is governed by the tonearm assembly, and the anti-skate, so the weight is (mostly) irrelevant.

I still reckon the extra weights are only useful if you can't get that initial balance going on.

• 2 months later...
Not according to origin live...a prominent hi-fi manufacturer or turntables, tonearms, etc. They do some very interesting things with counterwieghts. Check it out on their site. www.originlive.com

Oh maaan, the equipment on there is expensive :omg_smile: . I would buy some stuff off there tho if I won the lottery.

wats u guys views on setting the needle up

on an angle? (S tonearms)

i had it like this for a while and it work fine,

but then one of my tutors nearly had a heart attack wen he seen em...

plus in the Shure guide book it tells u how to do and stuff??...???.....bizzare

Edited by Dj Phology

I sometimes do that angling of the needle thing, but most of the time, my screws are loose in the cart anyway, so my needle is never consistently in one place.

BTW, what course are you doing? You have tutors checking over your cartridge set-up?