PC playing music improperly

Guest Mike Reezy

Guest Mike Reezy

It never happened before but all of a sudden recently my pc glitches out when playing music, I mean anything, if I open any folder or anything winamp will glitch out while its 'thinking', cool edit is doing the same thing, and also it makes these weird popping noises.

I never had this problem before, I have 775mb ram 1.83 ghz amd barton 2500+ xp, built in ASUS a7n8x-x sound (never had a problem)

any ideas?

I;ve been having the same problems and basically I reckon its hard drive problems. I've got a RAID motherboard and I don't have a RAID array set up but I thought it would be a good idea to use all 4 IDE sockets, but it seems not.

Gonna sort it out when I get chance.

So err yeah it could be your hard drive config. Have you changed anything around recently?

Guest Mike Reezy

powmax 400watt, 1 lite-on 8x dvd burner,1 fan, 1 hard drive.

Im gonna try reinstalling my other dvdrom to see if that fixes it

Guest Mike Reezy

heres an example I recorded of how fucked up it sounds.

I recorded this while playing off of winamp and I was encoding a dvd with dvdshrink (analyzing portion of it)

I can normally do this and alot more usually (775mb ddr 1.83 ghz?)

this is a file that Dylan CY Taylor posted on AP

how its supposed to sound

Why does my PC make it sound Like This?

That sounds like my old PC when things got too much for it. Obviously with the spec of your machine it isn't that though.

Have you tried looking in the Event Viewer to see if there are any errors, possibly relating to the hard disc? Is this the PC that wouldn't recognise that other hard drive?

It must be hardware related mate, but it's a tough one to diagnose.

**EDIT**

BTW, have you tried another player to see if it's Winamp?

Guest Deeswift

It's a weird problem Mike. I have no clue to be honest. I was thinking it could be power supply releated, but a 400 watt PowMax should be OK to run the hardware you have. I doubt it would be stressed.

Did you try another player? You could maybe try 1by1. This player takes the least resources of any player you can think of. Maybe try foobar2000 (wicked audio player). I dunno man, this is beyond me. Could be drivers, maybe.

1by1: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/#1by1

FB2K: http://static.morbo.org/foobar2000_special.exe

Guest Mike Reezy

I will try another player, and let you know. I am pretty sure it was getting gay in Cool edit tho also.

I first noticed it with loop players, because I play them alot, and they never ever play gay, once in a while it would sound like it was looped improperly for one rotation of the beat if I was downloading torrents and encoding dvds and opening photoshop or something, but even then it was hardly noticeable.

Now it seems everytime my cpu does anything while playin music it plays like that, even tho I still have 97%of my CPU on system Idle process.

any ideas? Ill get back with the other player

laters

thanks guys

Guest Deeswift

I'm gonna post a thread detailing your problem on another board Mike, cause this has got me totally stumped. It's 6:30 am right now, so I'll do this later today. We'll get it sorted out man. I think I can get some help with this elsewhere though. Bare with me.

Guest Mike Reezy

id to rollback my driver, but driver of what? also they saidmaybe the built in sound on my mobo failed suddenly, and I shuld try a pci card, well I dont have one, so what do I do?

Guest Deeswift

You could buy a soundcard that goes into a PCI slot, but that's gonna cost you. Then again, it won't cost loads. Maybe if you have a mate who has a regular PCI sound card you could ask to borrow it for a few hours to test it out? Otherwise, just buy a cheapo sound card to test it with. you can get a really nice sound card for not much money these days anyway. Hercules is a brand to consider. Look for reviews on Google if you decide to get a cheap but decent card.

Rolling back a driver is only needed if you have installed another driver which is bad. Did you install any new drivers recently? New motherboard drivers or anything?

heres an example I recorded of how fucked up it sounds.

I recorded this while playing off of winamp and I was encoding a dvd with dvdshrink (analyzing portion of it)

I can normally do this and alot more usually (775mb ddr 1.83 ghz?)

this is a file that Dylan CY Taylor posted on AP

how its supposed to sound

Why does my PC make it sound Like This?

Either way you look at it, that song is horrendous

Guest Mike Reezy

ok, it does this with winamp,windows media player, flash loop players, and even skype.

I tried switching my sound device from 'realtek AC97 audio'

to 'windows default device' but it didnt seem to have any effect.

this shit is mad annoying, it even stutters out when I get a single message notification beep (be ee ee pp)

Its like for some reason somethings are tasking out my computer to 100% just for a split second, but all the time, and I cant play music or use skype.

It could be the on mobo sound failed all of a sudden, or I might have installed some new drivers recently when my net wasnt working for some reason.

How do I find out if I installed new drivers, and if I should roll them back or not?

Also I think I might buy a shitty pci sound card from circuit city and test it and then take it back.

please help

Guest Deeswift

Right-click the My Computer icon. Go to Manage > Device Manager. There's a list of all the components in your system. You could try updating drivers for everything. Right-click them and choose Properties. Check the driver dates.

Otherwise, how about a fresh install of XP? It might be a drastic measure, but it's an option.

Had this been me, the first thing I would have done is backed up any important files / documents and reinstalled XP fresh. If you go down this route, maybe think about partitioning. I'm fine with reinstalling the OS, it takes literally 30 minutes or less to back up all my important stuff (such as Skype data, for example, which is in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data -- a hidden folder in XP), format the C drive and reinstall XP. I have XP on it's own 5 GB partition. Then the page file is on drive D, audio, video and games are on drive E, and and finally all my downloads and storage are on drive F. 4 partitions, 5 GB, 1 GB, 120 GB, and 30 GB respectively. There is, of course, only the need to format the C drive, so it's fast and easy. Everything I need to back up can be thrown onto drive F, then transferred back to drive C once I've done.

I can't think of any other suggestions Mike. It's either a new sound card ($35 for the Hercules Fortissimo which is a damn good card), or a reformat / reinstall of the OS.

You could also try uninstalling the onboard sound via device manager, cleaning the old drivers out with DriverCleaner (it has a section for RealTek AC97), or maybe cleaning it with RegSeeker, then reinstalling drivers you may have on a disc that should have come with your system.

Guest Mike Reezy

I was thinking that I did recently make some changes, I reset the bios back to default then changed a few things, but maybe something is still not set optimal.

Also I might have updated something trying to get my motherboard to recognize my failing hard drive.

The drivers for realtek sound say 2003 and also says that its working properly

Also, I removed someshit when I used hijack this!, some of it which may have been something I wasnt supposed to remove.

Anyhow I updated the driver and it seems to have found some nivida audio codec shit or something, im restarting ill let you know shortly

Guest Mike Reezy

well that didnt fix it, I was listening to a practice file of mine and the shit all of a sudden started going aliosity style sped up.

I also have another problem of my dvd burner burning dvds really erraticly, the buffer jumps around crazy, it never did this before but it went from burning a full dvd in 7 minutes to taking 23 minutes.

Also my windows takes for fucking ever to load up, it used to take less than 10 seconds.

I am thinking maybe I took some shit off I shouldnt have when I use hijack this!

Also I removed and deleted Hijack This! so the backups are probably gone.

Guest Deeswift

Mike, in the time that this problem has been affecting your PC, you could have reformatted. How long have you been pissing around trying to fix it? Back up your important stuff to DVD if you can, and reinstall XP! Do you have XP on disc? If you don't, PM me and we'll sort something out.

About the BIOS, you are OK to set them to "Optimized Defaults" if you have the option. You can also set it to SAFE defaults or whatever option you have like this, Your RAM probably won't work anywhere near it's optimum though. Man, never mess with BIOS unless you know what you are doing.

My only other though is maybe you can take it to a PC dealer near you. It'll cost though.

Guest Mike Reezy

The problem with that is that like I said my dvd burner now takes 35 minutes to burn a disc, and thats the only way I have of saving any information.

I have about 70GB of info that I would need to burn off

70/4.35=16.0***

16*30 minutes = 8 hours of burning give or take an hour

And thats not even conting the time it takes to verify the burn.....

I am hoping I will meet this kid soon, and I can use one of his extra 200gb hd's to transfer my shit alot faster, other than that, my shit will probably fail before I transfer it onto disc, which I really dont care about anymore, all I have is my music, and all the files the crew has recorded since before we had computers (tapedecks baby) which is important to me, but not so much after losing 40+ Gigs of my daughters baby footage

i too am having errors... only with windows media player..

my volume starts off low.. then i adjust it, then if i scan through the track, its loud as hell, and it does this everytime, and according to volume control, as well as wmp, the volume is low.. and my speakers arent really high either.. any thoughts?

Guest Mike Reezy
i too am having errors... only with windows media player..

my volume starts off low.. then i adjust it, then if i scan through the track, its loud as hell, and it does this everytime, and according to volume control, as well as wmp, the volume is low.. and my speakers arent really high either.. any thoughts?

dont hijack my thread!!!!!!!!!!

yea my shit satill doesnt work that great and its affecting my skype for some reason