AMD PC

rygon

ive got an AMD processer in my pc and ive seen this thing called cool and quiet for it...how does this work as my pc's fan is pretty damn loud and would like it to run slower (therefore less noisy???) is this what its for..and does it work

Guest Deeswift

What you have to do is go to Control Panel > Power Options > Power Schemes. Set it to Minimal Power Management. Now download this driver:

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP, Version (exe) 1.1.0.18

From here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...71_9706,00.html

And now reboot. Now your processor will underclock itself by changing the multiplier to half it's normal amount, so if you have say a 2 Ghz CPU, it'll run at 1 Ghz. It changes in a fraction of a second, should you need the full power.

If you have any more questions, ask me in a few hours cause I'm off to reformat right now. Oh yeah, I also presume that you are using Athlon64. If so, congrats, you will love it. If not, well... you can't use Cool 'N Quiet! (Unless Sempron supports it, I'm not sure).

yeh i am...only got a 3000+ but is fast enough for me...ive had no problems with this pc at all (not even any crashes) compared to my old tiny pc

Guest Deeswift

3000+ is a wicked CPU. Which core did you get -- Winchester (socket 939), or Newcastle? If you got a Winnie, you have one serious chip. EDIT: I know what you mean about lack of crashing. I think my machine is almost uncrashable, but that's probably more due to the way the OS is set up.

BTW, C 'N Q won't make an absolute drastic difference to the noise, although there will be some decrease. It's just well worth using though because it really preserves the life of your processor.

i got the newcastle one...wasnt too bothered about the winnie (although it would b nice) as i dont really max out my cpu (i dont play games and only do a bit of mix recordings) maybe if i start gettin into pcs more i will change...but that aint gonna be for another 5yrs i expect

Guest Deeswift

Newcastle is fine man, still really good. I think the Winchesters are just a little better because of the dual channel memory controller and also because they are built on a 90nm process, meaning they run cooler, overclock like a motherfucker, etc. Also, they aren't priced much higher than previous (130nm, single channel) chips. Whatever though, AMD64 rocks whichever core you choose. I love my Clawhammer because of the huge 1MB L2 cache, it really helps. The cache was cut down by 50% on most of the chips that came after it, apart from the high-end FX series and a few others. Of course, clock frequency was boosted by 200Mhz for the Newcastle, but in some ways it didn't make up for the smaller cache. It's all swings and roundabouts though, cause Clawhammer gets beaten in certain applications and games, just as the Claw beats the Newcastle. This is of course down to whether the application is clock speed or cache dependant. What pissed me off about the Newcastle is the fact that AMD chopped off the cache to save money (a large cache costs lots to produce), but the saving was never passed on to the user.

at work i have my pc in a different room. i chiseled a hole through the partition and fed the wires through coz i am sick of hearing it's whirring ass.

mind you, it is a six year old P3-700. bit rattly wobbly now!

the processor fan whines like a cheap whore

the psu fan turns at 10 rpm i just noticed.

lol i remember i had the lid off one of our servers changing a newtwork card. the processor fan wasnt even turning. just sitting and twitching. nice n quiet

some days i just sit and twitch though, if there aint much on

Guest Deeswift
Why would you sacrifice 1/2 of your processing power for a quiet pc?? Ill leave my cool n quiet uninstalled!

What do you think of the processor i have dee?

You goon! Cool 'N' Quiet doesn't sacrifice anything! The switch back to full power is instantaneous, literally a milisecond or something. It's actually you who's sacrificing the life expectancy of your processor because you are not using Cool 'N' Quiet!

What do I think of your processor? I fucking love it man, it kicks all of our processor's butts, including my 3200+ Clawhammer.

** If anyone's wondering, Clownstyle has a 3800+. He won't brag about it, so I'll do it for him. **

What you have to do is go to Control Panel > Power Options > Power Schemes. Set it to Minimal Power Management. Now download this driver:

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP, Version (exe) 1.1.0.18

From here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...71_9706,00.html

And now reboot. Now your processor will underclock itself by changing the multiplier to half it's normal amount, so if you have say a 2 Ghz CPU, it'll run at 1 Ghz. It changes in a fraction of a second, should you need the full power.

If you have any more questions, ask me in a few hours cause I'm off to reformat right now. Oh yeah, I also presume that you are using Athlon64. If so, congrats, you will love it. If not, well... you can't use Cool 'N Quiet! (Unless Sempron supports it, I'm not sure).

I installed these drivers... Do they install cool and quiet also? I thought it came seperate ?

Do i have to enable it in the bios?

Cheers

Guest Deeswift

Yes mate, this is something I forgot to mention actually (dumb ass). Go into the Cell Menu page in BIOS and enable it.

You can tell if it's working OK by right-clicking the My Computer icon and checking Properties. It should say what speed the processor is running at.

That's all there is to it really.

The order you should do it (just to clarify):

Control Panel > Power Options > Set Power Scheme to Minimal Power Management

Install driver... then it'll ask to reboot (click Yes)

Enter BIOS and enable C'N'Q in Cell Menu

press F10 to confirm and exit (PC will restart).

Guest Deeswift

Good. :) And the life of your processor should be better in the long run.

Just out of interest, what speed does your CPU usually run at? 2.4 Ghz?

Guest Deeswift

Nice. I know A64 kicks some serious butt at 2.4 Ghz man. I OC'd mine to 2.5 a while back and it was just one_bad_motherfucker! I have the benchmark pics somewhere... gonna go find those now.

Hey Dee, does that driver you posted fix the problem of CnQ not kicking the processor into full speed when you need it?

Cos right now I'm running CnQ but it seems the multiplier is always stuck at x5, rather than at x10, even though I'm doing processor intensive tasks (like encoding DivX video). I'm using Core Center to see my FSB multiplier, btw.