AMD PC

rygon

Guest Deeswift
Hey Dee, does that driver you posted fix the problem of CnQ not kicking the processor into full speed when you need it?

Cos right now I'm running CnQ but it seems the multiplier is always stuck at x5, rather than at x10, even though I'm doing processor intensive tasks (like encoding DivX video). I'm using Core Center to see my FSB multiplier, btw.

As far as I know you need trhe driver mate, not sure if C 'n' Q will work properly without it.

Give it a try and see how it goes! I don't think you'll see the multi actually change, though. Core Centre is atrocious! Don't OC via core centre, if you OC at all. It's known for crashing the system and also displaying temps wrong. Maybe a good idea to do some benchmark tests. Try running Aquamark 3. You should be hitting around 45,000 points with your setup. If you reach a score like that, your CPU and C'n'Q is doing it's job.

nd their Mobile Pentium CPUs are pretty good too, in terms of power consumption vs processing power.

Yeah, not bad. But I did read a review recently of some Pentium-M chip running on a desktop board which got whupped by AMD. There was a lot of hype surrounding these chips, and people thought that once they got decent desktop mobo's it was all over for AMD. That really wasn't the case at all.

You sure they don't have a contract with Intel and are not allowed to use AMD?

they do actually ;)

they even dropped their own line of AWESOME chips (were they cyrix or something like that) to use intels. at the time there was no competition so they went with intel.

our domain controller (as400 with 2 windows nt cards in it) uses ONE old p2, or an early p3. as400 just manges shit better i guess. its a huge black box. like knight rider if he was a dalek

Dee, yes the amd 64 mobile is great for processing even on a desktop, but the battery life just isn't there, like i said before this hp had only 2 hours of battery life that's really not alot. The turion was supposed to be a bit better but again amd focused alot more on the sepcs and forgot bout the battery life so it still doesn't really out perform the pentium m. Also AMD didn't even use a fair benchmark, so it made it look like it whomped the pentium m, even though it actually didn't. i'm of course only talking bout laptops

Guest Deeswift

Don't forget it's highly overclocked. At stock speeds it wouldn't do as well against A64, and when A64 is overclocked, we see shit like the new Venice Core 3200+ at close to 3 Ghz (with the right cooling). That's insane for a 2 Ghz chip. If you can reach OC's like that, you're beating Athlon FX chips. For £140! And the 90nm Venice revision E's will do 2.8 Ghz on 1.4 Volts.