What games are you guys playing at the moment?

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started Superliminal, which is a perspective-based puzzle game.

A short review: -

It only takes 60-90 minutes to complete and can be done much faster than that. I've found the difficulty level about right, with the challenge ramping up as you go along, but so far it's never got crazy hard.

It's available on all console platforms as well as Windows/macOS/Linux. Given its short length and lack of replayability, it's a tough game to recommend at its full price of $20 unless you're a huge fan of these types of games, but it's part of Game Pass so if you have that you can play it on Xbox or PC at no extra cost.

18 hours ago, Dan said:

Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Got it on sale about 4 days before they announced it on game pass (fucks sake). Never played any, enjoying 1 so far.

Been meaning to try that

• 2 weeks later...

SSX is more arcadey, with crazier tricks.

You could also try Steep, which came out a few years ago and was made by the same dev team that made Riders Republic: -

It's also nowhere near as arcadey as SSX, but it's part of Game Pass so at least if you don't get into it it's not cost you anything.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Horizon Forbidden West OBVS.

If you liked the first one, you'll like this. Although it does look pretty nice, there's definitely a few little graphical glitches and stuff. It's not as slick as something like Last of Us 2 in this regard. I'm taking it slow, doing all the extra side quests and stuff.

Everyone is wanking on about Elden Ring, anyone played it?

Been pretty obsessed with civilization 5 for the past few years.. It's the only game I've clocked more than 1000 hours on.. Anyone else play? my steam handle is chilechilechile :)

I'm around 8 hours into South Park: The Stick of Truth.

It's an RPG with turn-based combat set in the South Park world, written by Matt and Trey and featuring the original voice actors.

It's really good IMO. If you're a fan of South Park, it's a no-brainer to pick up, especially as it goes on sale all the time. Here in Europe, the console version is censored in places, but overall they definitely have not held back on the humour.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I finished Ben 10: Power Trip, which is available on all platforms and is part of Game Pass on Xbox/PC.

I only downloaded it to unlock 1 achievement to complete a Microsoft Rewards quest, but I ended up playing through the entire game.

It's clearly aimed at younger gamers, but I had fun with it. You play as Ben, plus you get to unlock 6 aliens that you can switch to at will, each of which has their own abilities, e.g. one guy can break weak spots in walls, and another guy can overload electrical circuits, so there's areas that seem impossible to get to until you unlock the alien you need.

It's an open world game with platforming and fairly simple combat where you have to complete a bunch of quests, plus there's optional side quests. The story is pretty dumb, the gameplay is not that challenging, yet, for some reason, I still found it engaging enough to play through to the end, and to carry on after that trying to get a few more of the achievements. It's fun switching between the different characters and there's one that can run really fast, so getting from A to B never takes that long.

I would say the only thing that bugged me was the map system. Some stuff does not show up on the mini-map, so you're forever opening up the main map, which takes about 5 seconds to open then the same to close (and that's on a Series X), plus there's no way to set a custom marker.

If you have kids that are into Ben 10, they will likely love this.

I've been playing 9 Monkeys of Shaolin: -

If you like classic side-scrolling beat 'em ups like Final Fight, you will like this. It offers more depth than those classic games, with more moves and unlockable weapons, items and upgrades.

You can play it solo or in co-op with one other person, either locally or online.

I wouldn't buy it at the usual price of £15.99, but it goes on sale every so often for £3.99 (it's £3.99 on Xbox until midnight tonight) and I think it's worth it at that price.

• Like 1

9c32JXg.jpg

I got 100% on 9 Monkeys of Shaolin, including finding all of the secrets.

I really enjoyed it, even though I didn't pay attention to the story and skipped almost all of the cut scenes. Once you have unlocked all of the skills, you are ridiculously overpowered. You can do a move where you hold down LT and press B and it drags all enemies on screen to you and damages them, and you can spam it repeatedly until they're dead. It's useful for getting the last few achievements.

I ended up playing through it 3 times. The first time I did it on the default difficulty level (novice), then the second time I did it on the highest difficulty level (legend), but the achievement for completing the game on that level didn't pop, so I played through the whole thing again and that time it worked. If you do replay the game on legend, make sure you play through the levels in the default order.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 12:48 PM, Deft said:

Everyone is wanking on about Elden Ring, anyone played it?

This is one example why I know I wouldn't enjoy it: -

And Super is a pro-gamer, so he's way better than I am. I know there are ways to cheese bosses like this, and other strats that may work better, but still - it's hard as fuck.

• 4 weeks later...

@Steve

So I had EA Play Pro for a few months and then got rid of it.  I played almost every game in their spawn catalog and wasn't really feeling any of them.

Lost in Random and Biomutant were sort of on the same plane for me.  I think I'm just not a big fan of 3rd person games even though LIR had the unique dice roll mechanic.

The game I had most fun playing of all?  Turmoil. It's basically a game that can run on a 1990's computer and it was awesome.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I gave Pac-Man Museum+ a go on Xbox, as it's part of Game Pass. It features 14 different Pac-Man games - all proper games that have been in arcades - as well as a customisable arcade section where you can place game cabinets, props, jukeboxes etc. to make your own little arcade. The games have leaderboards and there's various challenges and missions you can do.

It sounds pretty good if you're a Pac-Man fan, however, it's ruined by input lag issues. You need the controls to be responsive and precise with games like this, cos one missed input can be the difference between living and dying, and unfortunately, the controls just suck. I don't know if it's an Xbox-only issue, but yeah - definitely give this a miss. Maybe they will patch it at some point.