DMCs

supacuts

Politics aside, I am 37 now and I never had the balls to enter this. The thought of not even placing would have been too much for my ego and I feared that I would fall out of love with turntablism. I am friends with TGK and I respect him so much because despite not placing, he still enters, just for the sheer fun of it. It didn't put him off turntablism and I really hope his persistence pays off.

Maybe I will do it for my 40th birthday. Probably not though.

Question: why didn't you enter? Was it a confidence thing or was it actually that you thought it too [insert reason here].

Did you enter and not place? Did it affect your views on the artform you love?

• Like 1

I entered in 2001.....

I was amazing but everyone else disagreed. They're pricks. I would have won if it wasn't for everyone else being better than me. :@@

same with me, but 2006.

I'm really glad i did it. Made a ton of friends by doing that. Realised I didnt really enjoy 'competing' though, but thought it was a great social thing. Probably sewed the seeds for SSS in one way.

Finally entered this run around. Got 2nd place in regionals. Not too bad for first DMC but I really wanted to battle Dwells. ;) Apparently the scores were tied and we only had two judges, DJ Swamp and DJ P. I got first place in eliminations though. The DJ that won was from the same crew as the promoter and also from the town the DMCs took place in. Not trying to conspire or anything but I guess it just wasn't in my favor.

I don't know if I'm going to enter again because I know another 2nd place would really upset me. Sucks to be that close to winning but hey, at least I entered considering everyone and their mother was telling me, "DOPEZ ARE U DOING DMC DUDE U GOTTA ENTER UR DOPE ULL TAKE THAT SHIT". I wasn't going to enter until a week before the battle when I asked Christie if I could use my Kontrol Z2 instead of a 57SL/62 to which she said yes (Her and Mia are absolutely wonderful people, I can't say enough nice things about them). I then created and practiced my 6 minute set in about 5 days. It was a learning experience, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Guest broke

Question: why didn't you enter? Was it a confidence thing or was it actually that you thought it too [insert reason here].

Did you enter and not place? Did it affect your views on the artform you love?

I'd battled in ITF before (back in 2005) but never gone in the DMC comp until last year.

I won the state comp and went on to place second in the country. One of the judges told me it was really close. People were saying a couple of things in the following weeks along the lines of what Dopez was saying about crew affiliations etc, but I think that's just how these things go sometimes. I was also a judge at the IDAs last year and it can be difficult when you have a few DJS at the same level.

Maybe I will do it for my 40th birthday.

Funnily enough, that was exactly what happened to me last year. The weekend of my 40th was the state final and the drunken crowd sung me happy birthday after I won, which was great.

Just to echo what Jon and Dopez said, do it for the experience and do it because its a learning experience. The practice will sharpen your skills and putting the set together - especially if you're going to produce it yourself - will push you creatively.

• Like 1

Personally, I have neither the skills nor the inclination to learn them.

Dopez - don't be too much of a despondant emo, 2nd place at your first rodeo ain't bad. Especially when you factor in local crew affiliations (which is something I know has definitely affected some other regional heats over here in the past too). Realistically though, your set was great (from the video you posted) and if you can put that together in a week and go up against other DJs who could have been working on their routines for months, then you do have the required skills and need to keep going. I wouldn't get too caught up in Dwells winning his first regional heat either - as much as he has skills and will no doubt go to do great things, his age would have been a factor in the judges decision (whatever they may say in protest).

• Like 2

I entered when I was a young whippersnapper and quickly realised:

Competing is a skill in itself and in any competition where judging is involved it can be easy to miss the mark. I saw skilled people not get though in DMC and it was a bit disappointing to be sent home myself a few times. I quickly lost the spark for it and enjoy practicing for fun more.

Guest petesasqwax

I haven't had 2 decks for about 10yrs and when I did I never used to juggle - just never was my cuppa. I realised pretty early on that I was mostly interested in production so any time I could have spent cutting or practicing anything else has more or less been dedicated to that