tigerstyle reverse tear/rub thing?

Pich

I was watching a vid on scratch phrasing last night and on there he did what he called the tigerstyle reverse tear which looked like he was just rubbing his thump up the record while he pulled back and it sounded pretty nice, I just wanted to know if anybody could explain it futher or if there was a video to show it in more detail? It may be just that.... rubbing the record while pulling back, after a little play around with it I was getting some similar sounds but wanted to see if I was actually doing it correctly lol

was it Dopez vid? if it was then he's a member here so he can probs answer exactly what you want.

I think what you're looking for are what many here call "bumpy knuckles", what some call "butterfly tears" and what I call "fast waves". You essentially open and close your hand as if you're extending your fingers fully then bringing them back to your palm, but the effect is that each time your fingers switch direction you get a pause or sound (depending on how you do it, I think diff ppl achieve the effect slightly differently). It's sort of like a tear where the pause are created from your hand movements instead of your arm movements, but it often leads to a smoother/wavier sound rather than the stiff tear sound. And yea, some ppl use their thumb, but it's not necessary. I believe Tigerstyle varies and does some with his thumb and some without for different sounds.

Thanks for your response guys I appreciate it, I should of put the vid up so ill try and do that now, I think you're both kind of right I guess there slight variations of similar techniques

that's Dopez on this forum

The cheeky young whippersnapper!

Actually I was watching some of his tutorials last night and found them very informative indeed.

Agreed.