Would a "classic" DMC category work?

Steve

Trouble would be finding the records and proving they weren't custom, especially if online comp. But yeah I think it would work. 2 x 1200's and a 56 or similar.

I take it this is inspired by certain FB threads? I'd personally rather spend my time digging through record shops for breaks for this than learning how to program a daw

good idea tho steve - like a 90,s battle for those who find it hard to embrace technology -hehe.... We Fear Change

can i just say i like all styles - and dont hate on any dj,s - and what way they wish to express themselves thru music - its all fair game in my opinion and there are no boundaries -

• Like 1

I don't think it's a case of fearing change.

Old DMC battles = 100 metre sprint.

Current DMC battles = 100 metre sprint, but you can use roller skates, strap a fan to your back to blow you along, get pulled along by a rubber band etc.

Sometimes simpler = better.

• Like 2

Trouble would be finding the records and proving they weren't custom, especially if online comp. But yeah I think it would work. 2 x 1200's and a 56 or similar.

I take it this is inspired by certain FB threads? I'd personally rather spend my time digging through record shops for breaks for this than learning how to program a daw

finding records is the easiest thing in the world, you just click the "order" button, that's it

I think at this point... it wouldn't work really. If it was promoted well with decent prizes there might be a decent amount of entries but I imagine it would look something like DMC online but weaker. A lot has changed since the actual days when people made routines with real records... namely record stores have died, and labels have stopped pressing new vinyl. Sure you could still use old records and work with what's out there, but regardless it's going to be tougher than it was at the time, and the skill level and motivation is lower than back then.

However, I've seriously considered doing an all vinyl routine... I won't force it but if I come up with a 6 minute that isn't utilizing DVS features I might just try to do it. There is something to be said about the intangibles of doing a routine with vinyl. I'd like to think that the main point is the scratching/juggling/technique and it shouldn't really matter the medium... but I'm pretty certain if Craze did his classic DMC sets on DVS they would be missing something when compared to the same sets on vinyl even if they were technically the same.

I think we're in sort of a weird transition period where we just kind of hit an extreme with DJ Fly's routine for that style of set, and a lot more people are speaking out about not really feeling it despite him being clearly a good DJ. On the other hand we're still holding on to the past as well and not really exploring DVS as much as we could (except for Jon). I dunno, it's kind of a dark time for routines but hopefully it will sort itself out as DJs find a medium between old and new.

• Like 2

Yeah I can just about find most of the stuff I like on vinyl because it was made in the 90's, lol but im talking about getting new beats, a lot of the stuff I hear and think would make a good juggle just isn't pressed to plastic. At least these days though you could preview the track on your DVS to see whether you like it for juggling before shelling out for two copies (or three when you actually like the track and may want to listen to it in the future without covering it in stickers)

Yeah I can just about find most of the stuff I like on vinyl because it was made in the 90's, lol but im talking about getting new beats, a lot of the stuff I hear and think would make a good juggle just isn't pressed to plastic. At least these days though you could preview the track on your DVS to see whether you like it for juggling before shelling out for two copies (or three when you actually like the track and may want to listen to it in the future without covering it in stickers)

if you check a shop called hhv.de you find an awful lot of new hiphop vinyl, i dont have the money to keep up with all the new releases, people are just spoiled these days and think that vinyl died wich isn't true. They just want free mp3s.

i think it would even be cool if it was just straight juggles - every 1 on same classic hip hop beat say primo - gangstarr - or somthing boom bap - 90,s - and if u dont have on vinyl u can do on serato but in absolute mode only - and no button pushing - effects - edits anything - just the original 2 records and a mixer vibe....

If I was organising it, I would allow battle records but not custom records, the difference being that any DJ can go and buy "battle record X". If you allow customs, but not DVS, you'd still get DJ Fly-style performances because his whole routine could have been pressed to 2 customs.

I think it would be a really tough thing to get off the ground, unless an existing organisation did it. It would be quite easy for DMC to run an online version just to see how it goes down.

There's nothing to stop DV hosting a pure vinyl competition? I'm guessing you could get some phat prizes with your contacts.

I wouldn't want to do it just because I think it would be a wash out. The only way it might work is if it was a team effort, so we would need to get the bigger name DJs that are moaning about the current DMC format behind it and get them to help promote it, to be on the judging panel, and to help leverage prizes. When I email a company to try and get prizes, they don't know who the fuck I am and they don't know what DV is either, haha.

One thing we could try is to do a juggling battle. We would tell DJs which track they have to juggle and they could use a DVS if they wanted to, but they would have to use the track unedited, so there would be no "production over patterns" stuff going on. I think that has a bigger chance of working simply because it doesn't require DJs to plan out 6 minute long routines that are very complex and take months to put together and practice. It also opens it up to DJs who don't buy a lot of records, because we would provide the tracks and they could use Serato or whatever.

I think battling started going downhill for 2 reasons: -

1. When people started creating routines so customised, that they performed them with just 2 custom records.

2. When the style of music changed. I appreciate a juggle much more when I know the original track. If it's just a load of bleepy, soulless electronic noise - not so much.

So a battle where people have to flip tunes that are given to them without editing them potentially solves both of those problems, but only for people who hold the same opinions as me - but that does seem to be quite a lot of people by all accounts. It doesn't have to be vinyl only. It just has to take it back to pure juggling skills.

As for "embracing technology" that's fine, but with all this crazy DJ technology, does anyone really think that the routines we're seeing in 2013 are the pinnacle of battle routines? Cos I don't. And it's the same with mixing as well, where the human element is being taken out of it and it's more about preparation - beat gridding, setting cue points, using some program to get the levels of all of the tracks to be the same - and the end result is often something that sounds like it was made by a computer, not by a person. The balance is all fucked up.

The problem I can see with giving competitors the same beat to juggle is that it doesn't give much scope for a DJ's individuality. Yeah people in the scene could differentiate between each DJ's skill level but to an outsider it may not be as interesting to watch? Or maybe it would inspire people to get more technical and therefore more original Along the way. I just don't know