Autobahn scratch... Which is the correct one?

Pich

ive been looking into the autobahn scratch a lot and have spend the day practicing the one from this video which seems like a decent tutorial, I pretty much got down the final pattern that finishes at 3minutes right before he does a variation of it, I found tho that at slow speeds it dosent fit into an equal measure (if that's the right musical term) i.e like 1 or 2 bars, there seems to be an uneven number of sounds, I looked for other vidoes and there seems to be loads of different versions of it, just wanted to know which was the proper one or if there isn't one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcvGfQf0sPI

http://www.johnny1move.co.uk/scratch/index.php?scratch=18

Yes, there are different Autobahns. The one you've been practicing is often called "Fast Autobahn" - I like to call it A9 because it has 9 notes and the German Autobahns are named like that (A1,A2,...). The "slow" version is also pretty common.

I also like those two quite a bit because they add up with triplets and are similar to the Boomerang:

(No idea though if anybody calls them Autobahns or Walking Boomerangs)

Edited by mfsop
  • Like 1

ive been looking into the autobahn scratch a lot and have spend the day practicing the one from this video which seems like a decent tutorial, I pretty much got down the final pattern that finishes at 3minutes right before he does a variation of it, I found tho that at slow speeds it dosent fit into an equal measure (if that's the right musical term) i.e like 1 or 2 bars, there seems to be an uneven number of sounds, I looked for other vidoes and there seems to be loads of different versions of it, just wanted to know which was the proper one or if there isn't one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcvGfQf0sPI

this tutorial is by a kut and this is the proper rafik autobahn..its a fantastic tutorial also!

I found a video by that german guy alex of the slow autobahn which is pretty much the same just without the extra transform on the 2part of the scratch which is where I think you pick up fast speeds, once you get your head around it, it isn't a to hard a scratch, it scared me a bit to start with but its just flare type movements starting closed with the correct record movements to match :)

the hard part for me with this scratch is adapting it to a beat because its 9 sounds I finding it really hard, anybody have any tips or ideas? I know this will be the hard part tho... maybe adding an extra sound at the start or doing just half of the scratch at the end of the pattern or something to create a few more sounds

the hard part for me with this scratch is adapting it to a beat because its 9 sounds I finding it really hard, anybody have any tips or ideas? I know this will be the hard part tho... maybe adding an extra sound at the start or doing just half of the scratch at the end of the pattern or something to create a few more sounds

Once you start doing it faster it becomes easier.

Once you've got it down you can start doing a slightly different combo with it. Say you break it down in to 3 pieces, 1,2 and 3, once you got it down you can start adding in some 1,3's in between your 1,2,3's ... that make sense?

Thanks for the advice dooban, I'm going to just drill this pattern into my head this week then play around with it after which I think comes naturally once you get a feel for the scratch, it's definitely a hard one, I agree in finding the slow one harder but I don't like it so much it doesn't have a funky feel or flow as nicely as the fast version

• 1 month later...
Guest petesasqwax

my head is so full of boomerangs, autobahns and using bumpy knucks with everything right now... so, so sick. practicing like fuck so that i can get all these things and unlock new combinations by mixing them all up

• Like 1

Do you have any tips or advice on the bumpy knuckles technique? I'm trying to work on that but can't find any good explication on it really, when you create the tear type sound by flexing your hand are you supposed to have just the backwards sound or forward? Which ever way your doing it, or does it create like a mini baby scratch, sorry if I confused you I might even be thinking of a different scratch lol

^^

I found it helpful to start with baby scratches: Snap flexing of your fingers at the knuckles, one forward, one back. When that becomes easier you can progress to the tear type techniques. I had to do this to develop my weaker hand as it didn't come as naturally as it did with my stronger hand.

Guest petesasqwax

to be honest, the only way i get those kinds of things down is to spend time using no fader at all, just focusing on record hand control.

the way i see the technique, the aim is to get the point where the two sounds meet to be as distinct as possible, so that the point of transition from going backwards to going forwards (or vice-versa) is a kind of snap that becomes a sound in itself. it's like the extra sound you get in a one click flare - where the click cuts the sound in half but the start/end of the sound introduces a different sound. to use an example you might more easily relate to (it's how i understand it, anyway) i always look at the one click flare as being like a figure 8 where the click is the middle of the 8 (the waist, if you like). so the very top and bottom of the 8 are the transition points between the sound going forward to the sound going backwards - and that's the point where the bumpy knucks bit comes in. it accentuates the transition.

at least, that's how i understand it (i'm fulling prepared to be corrected here...)

Nice thanks for your help guys in going to spend some time developing it more, I just don't understand the tear version.... Where you snap your knuckles should you be getting just two distinct backward sounds got the reverse tear or at the point where you snap your knuckles do you get like a slight forward sound as well caused by the snap where your snapping then releasing to get the two separate tear sounds? Sorry again if I'm not explaining it right lol

That's good then lol I was also trying it without a slight forward sound but it didn't flow as well, I'll stick with it then I saw vekked doing it on one of his recent youtube vids but I've never really found a tutorial on it, thanks for your help pete!

Guest petesasqwax

no problem at all man, really glad i could help out. i've been in the same position as you for a lot of years - nobody here to cut with so i've been learning new techniques from videos etc. it helps a load to just be able to ask somebody for an explanation

• Like 1

Thanks boss, it's hard going sometimes but like you said this forum is great if you need to talk to scratch heads :-), I just got an mpc too atm so im trying to give both a fair amount of time to practice on lol but sometimes it's hard to find time with standard day to day things you gotta do like.. Work! lol

I know I sold my 1000 earlier this year but I just had the feeling to make some beats after listening to only built for cuban linkx so I bought the 500 I know it's not as highly thought of but I can take it to work and get to grips with it in my breaks :-)