Ultimate mixer..

When the other 2 have been properly released/fully tested, what do you think will be the 'best' 2 channel mixer available in terms of sound quality, fader, build, etc etc..

(still) ttm 56?

rodec scratchbox (the russian nuclear reactor styling and semi obscure nature appeals to me)

urei 1601/s - just looks dope

What are your opinions?

When the other 2 have been properly released/fully tested, what do you think will be the 'best' 2 channel mixer available in terms of sound quality, fader, build, etc etc..

(still) ttm 56?

rodec scratchbox (the russian nuclear reactor styling and semi obscure nature appeals to me)

urei 1601/s - just looks dope

What are your opinions?

Spec wise the Urei kills anything ever made scratch wise....aren't they in partner with Harmon Kardon? Sound quality should be phenominal. We'll see tho.

Well i'm belgian, that's where rodec comes from, and i honestly HATED any rodec mixer i've ever seen. Indeed, the sound quality is great, and the build quality even better. But the technology used has always been 5 year old. I think they've introduced VCA faders somewhere 6 years ago and were acting as if they just invented hot water. They serve well as club mixers built in to a rig, but every time i've stumbled upon a rodec where i've had to mix i drove off to get my 05 (which is a lot worse when it comes to sound, but still).

I remember their club mixers as hard to handle, ugly and just plain not fit for creative mixing.

Anyone seen the MiXboX, their 3-channel basic mixer? It's brought me nearly to tears, and i'm not talking 'bout the scratch.

Also, open your eyes: any dealer will tell you that rodec is great, because they are sold with a 40% margin, as opposed to vestax, pioneer, rane, stanton... where margins are 10-20%. Meaning I as a dealer make more money off a € 1000 rodec than i'd make off a € 1900 vestax.

If you've ever wondered how crappy brands can keep existing here's your answer. If any belgians read this the name JBSystems will ring a bell. So crappy that they'd had to release their first ever high-end turntable with a whole new brand, Sync (it's a OEM like the stantons, american audio's, numarks and whatnot). But the margins are great, friendly representatives come over, lots of catalogues and gadgets to hand out... you'll get it if you're in sales.

*ALTHOUGH* if Lamont is helping them build these babies ans they use some post '00 technology in it i'll be sure to pick one up. Wouldn't ever buy it before i had a thorough test ride with it though...

Edited by ripple

That scratchbox has been floating around in production for ages, are they are actually on teh market yet?

i would have thought that the mixer you can actually purchase would be the best one! lol.

scratchbox does look dope, also looks like it's just been ripped out of a particle accelrator or something though

Just had a look at the Urea one, not convinced at all...

upfaders should def. have rotary curve adjusters

I like the idea of having midi out's but an alternative should def. be offered.

looks awful imo.

Whatever mixer I buy, I'd like it to have fully adjustable faders. The cut in on my Ecler is good, but I'd like it to be better. It seems like a lot of people are still modding their faders too, but they shouldn't have to.

I agree with you about rotary adjusters Snuff.

I'd like em to cut something like a 07, that fast cut at the bottom of the faders is useless, and the slow cut isn't that great either

Actually it perfectly upfades like an 07 if you set the contour sliders exactly in the middle. But it depends on which generation of upfaders you have on your 07, different generations of vestax upfaders for 07 are known to have different slopes.

Just focusing on sound quality-wise, here are some brief comparisions of S/Ns. (signal to noise ratio).

I have Rane's spec of the 56's master output signal to noise ratio (from the manual) at 101db with unity gain/94db with 12db gain.

On http://www.ureidj.com/product_1601S.aspx, they don't specify theirs on master output.

Majority of mixers i've seen/heard:

Stanton - over 75db

Vestax - 75db

VESTAX 07 ISP - 65db (muahahahahah) It says on their official website. Typical cassette player's s/n are usually around 70dbs, the vestax 07 ISP falls below cassette players quality?

I know it ain't all about numbered/printed specs but rane 56 is still the best sounding mixer from all of the listed above. I still need to find Rodecs and others. Do you guys know any others from memory?

I'd like em to cut something like a 07, that fast cut at the bottom of the faders is useless, and the slow cut isn't that great either

Actually it perfectly upfades like an 07 if you set the contour sliders exactly in the middle. But it depends on which generation of upfaders you have on your 07, different generations of vestax upfaders for 07 are known to have different slopes.

it's not that it isn't fast enough, it's alot faster than the 07 but i like it to be at the top of the fader, where the 56 cuts at the bottom, which makes more sense actually but in the past 5 years i got used to the feeling : fader fully up = click = on, where the rane needs to have the fader up a little and clicks for closed.

A simple slow cut over 1 cm would be great.

Hell I'd mod it with a PCV if it gave me a normal cut in.

YES YOU HEARD ME A PCV!

Still: best mixer i've ever laid hands on.