Battle DJing is the most pointless shit in the DJ world

Steve

In the battle of who is best at trolling, I win.

Besides sav, you're too good for the battling game. You shouldn't be having to go around asking for votes because you're struggling to compete against some guy from Turkmenistan who can't juggle or scratch, but he's ahead of you only because his countrymen are all like "one of our guys is in it! All vote for him!". Why would you even entertain such a sausage-fest?

I have no aspirations to be a famous DJ or to make a living out of any part of it, never have. Although saying that I do actually DJ 1 or 2 nights a week normally so i'm certainly supplementing my income.. But if like Vekked, I put in the work and won 2 world titles, got sponsorship and got flown to a few things, even if it only lasted a year or two, Its a hell of an achievement and one I would proudly look back upon.

I like practicing & figuring out routines, and i like performing at battles, And regardless of what anyone else thinks, i really like the routines i make , but it's even nice to even get the few bits of feedback i have gotten this year from people, and that will probably encourage me a little more... I have been a bit busy the last few years and kinda lost a bit of interest, but that can happen with anything at different points of your life.

I would happily enter DMC every year for the next 5 years and not stress about it in anyway whatever the result...

not saying I definitely will... depending on time work and other things..

yeah it's kinda annoying this crowd vote thing and yeah its not as good as it was 10 years ago, but fuck it. i like doin it. and i don't really care how many others do. but yeah fuck those Turkmenistan jerks...

I dont think it's DMCs fault that things have changed. They're trying something new with the online battle, and i dont think they've nailed the format yet, but it's certainly better than last year... It makes me want to make something thats undisputably dope enough to win through all the bullshit.... whether i actually can is another matter. but i might enjoy trying...

there's obviously a difference but some similarity in chopping a beat on an MPC to doin it live with 2 copies... yeah it might be nicer to listen to the MPC beat, but i find its more fun for me doin it the 2 copies way, (and i don't own an mpc...)

Also i know it's not the exact same but does the battle element of rap lyrics annoy you similarly?

You know that this thread was just mad trolling, right?

But to answer your question, no, the battle element of rap lyrics doesn't bother me. I don't think you can really compared the two though, outside of "it's one person trying to win against someone else". If an MC I liked spent all year just crafting one record to diss someone else and that meant they didn't do anything else, yeah, I'd probably think "what are they fucking about at?".

You know that this thread was just mad trolling, right?

But to answer your question, no, the battle element of rap lyrics doesn't bother me. I don't think you can really compared the two though, outside of "it's one person trying to win against someone else". If an MC I liked spent all year just crafting one record to diss someone else and that meant they didn't do anything else, yeah, I'd probably think "what are they fucking about at?".

ah yeah man, i dont think i was coming off as offended or anything as i certainly wasn't

i was just being a little earnest among all the madness....

A bit off topic here but he has been mentioned, but I saw Semtex live (him and Dizzee were supporting The Prodigy). I dunno how to put this without sounding like a twat, because it is cool that DR has employed him, equal rights and all, but he wasn't great on the cut. Dare I say it was a bit of a gimmick?

I am not just trying to be inflammatory but all I'm saying is that if you're gonna play with one arm in front of thousands of people, at least make sure your shit is tight, because then it justifies him being there beyond "because it's a a nice thing to do".

Anyway, as you were.

Fucking LOL @ loop. I'm with Ruftone on this one. The most memorable thing said during the whole discussion.

BTW: Thank you steve for bringing back some of the drama of the old scratch boards. It's like proper Asisphonics, Scratchcon & D-Styles chucked in to one. Love it! Steve playing devil's advocate is just fucking hilarious. More of it.

My two cents - coming from a Dj that started with scratching and beatjuggling, did that for about 10 years and then moved on to mixing dnb and deep house. Mixing is not easy, beat-matching is. Most people don't understand the fine difference. Even Djs. You can align two beats to the same tempo, may it be funk, dub, house, yoddeling and if they don't sync tune-wise your mix is fucked. Most battle dj's and a lot of backpacker-hiphop dj's don't understand the value of track selection. But I also do believe that it has to do with age and maturing in your genre. And also a sense for musicality.

Battling on the other hand has always been a cock-fest, ball dangling, deffening event. Woman don't appreciate it, 98% of it sounds like utter shit and promoters just want to make a buck and don't give a shit about the artists - DMC...?. How many good battlers became/are good djs? Only a handful sadly....Craze = amazing. Ever heard is DnB mixtapes? A-trak, Klever excellent...funny they're all from the same crew. Woody's pretty damn good as a club dj what I hear. Blakey is fucking A. HOWEVER, they're not good because they're battle djs, they're good because they're talented dj's and the battle ERA was just a platform for them to display their skills and made them known in the """"""""scene""""""""".

Not wanting to take the fun out of battling, but seriously - you battle for a couple of years and then you stop, you get bored or tired of it. Djing / mixing on the other hand...you can never take the fun and love out of good music, a couple of beers with your mates and some easy hed-bobbing.

• Like 2

Not wanting to take the fun out of battling, but seriously - you battle for a couple of years and then you stop, you get bored or tired of it. Djing / mixing on the other hand...you can never take the fun and love out of good music, a couple of beers with your mates and some easy hed-bobbing.

I mean, the counter argument to that is that mixing is boring and unfulfilling creatively because you're just playing other people's music. It's like learning how to play guitar and putting all your effort into cover songs when you could make your own song. So yes I think YOU (or other people who are more into mixing) would get bored of battling and not of DJing, but other people get bored of mixing and not of scratching/juggling/etc.

I get your point and think it's completely valid but def subjective. Most of the debate and issues on this topic stem from 2 diff mindsets; the mostly DJs, and the mostly turntablists. Both overlap a ton, and both are gonna be completely right in arguing the validity and the art of mixing, and the validity of scratching/beat juggling. Some people DJ because they like playing other people's music, some people DJ because they wanna make music out of other people's music.

So yea, obv people who are in it to mix and play music are going to see battling as pointless now because it's no longer a direct platform to becoming a club DJ, and obv people who aren't fulfilled by just playing other people's music are going to see that as pointless too. If the reason you DJ isn't to mix, battle, scratch, juggle, or whatever else, then it's probably going to seem pointless to you.

• Like 1

Guest broke

You can stick 'DJ' next to your name, but if you're not actually DJing, you're not really a DJ... just someone who scratches/juggles/battles. IMO. You don't even really need to mix to call yourself a DJ. All you need to do is play music for people and understand what that entails.

I mean, the counter argument to that is that mixing is boring and unfulfilling creatively because you're just playing other people's music. It's like learning how to play guitar and putting all your effort into cover songs when you could make your own song. So yes I think YOU (or other people who are more into mixing) would get bored of battling and not of DJing, but other people get bored of mixing and not of scratching/juggling/etc.

I get your point and think it's completely valid but def subjective. Most of the debate and issues on this topic stem from 2 diff mindsets; the mostly DJs, and the mostly turntablists. Both overlap a ton, and both are gonna be completely right in arguing the validity and the art of mixing, and the validity of scratching/beat juggling. Some people DJ because they like playing other people's music, some people DJ because they wanna make music out of other people's music.

So yea, obv people who are in it to mix and play music are going to see battling as pointless now because it's no longer a direct platform to becoming a club DJ, and obv people who aren't fulfilled by just playing other people's music are going to see that as pointless too. If the reason you DJ isn't to mix, battle, scratch, juggle, or whatever else, then it's probably going to seem pointless to you.

Well all I can say is that I think musically I've spanned quite a broard spectrum: I played an instrument, I was a "turntablist" for almost 10 years, whereas I've been a "scratcher" for 16 years (although irregularly over the last 3-5 years), I've been producing music/tracks for about 11 years and I've been "djing" in clubs for 14 years. Before I continue let me say, I feel dead-old right now. :wacko:

Anyways, don't get me wrong, I've gone through all phases of "club dj's are shite, turntablism is the shit" to "good club djs are the shit, turntablism is shite". Right now, I've come to an internal agreement with myself that a) I'm neither nore and b) I respect both sides for their efforts. However, I get endlessly pissed off by a common attitude found with most "turntablists" / "battle djs" thinking theyre also good club djs/mixers. The other way round never happens. And I think it's fair to question the relevance battle-djing has in the world of djing. Has it really progressed the art-form as a whole or wasn't the artform progressed by individuals and technology? The only influence I can actually tell "battle-djs" (i.e. the DMC/ITF world champs) ever had, was being allowed to work with companies like Vestax, Technics, HAK, improve their mixers, but I'm not sure how that really helped the art-form to progress. Serato and sorts were actually developped for the club scene. The term "scratch" was just proving, that the software could compute the highly complex movements high enough.

Regardless of what I've said above, getting back into battling/cutting/jugglin etc. is always fun as it really helps revive the thrill we (all) shared and share for vinyl, hiphop, scratch music etc. But I think a lot of battle djs should just get off their high horse and stop thinking they're the real meaning of the word DJ etc. That's just pure bollocks.