I've learnt a few scratches... Where can I take it from here?

Pich

Do you know Q-Bert's Q&A videos already? Nothing beats having a scratching conversation with a giant football head!

(As I think about it, quite a lot of things do but it's still fun and might provoke some new patterns.)

There's also more of these videos on youtube. Off the top of my head I can remember a lamb and a monkey but I'm sure there's been more.

Lol that's a pretty random character! I've tried practicing with these vids today, it's weird how on the spot it puts me, it's pretty hard thinking up a new pattern for every bar or so but I can see how it'll pysh me that bit futher with some practice :-), think that football head is my favourite tho

A few years ago, a member on here wrote a combo generator program. It took real scratches and made combos out of them and it was set up in such a way that it would never come up with impossible combos (based on fader and record position). It had different "skill" levels and different modes, including a Q&A mode, so it would do a combo over a beat, then it would leave you a blank bar of beat to copy it.

It was pretty awesome. I provided the original test scratches for it, so it was using my cuts, but it would come up with patterns that meant it sounded nothing like me as it was creating the combos using algorithms, rather than having human traits (including repetition). It was a potentially great tool for folks that feel like they keep repeating the same combos and patterns over and over, as just by Q&Aing with the combo generator, especially when using your own scratches for the program, it would force you to try combos you'd never tried before.

Unfortunately, the guy did not continue development on it. It was Windows only, but it doesn't even work in current version of Windows, sadly. I have never seen anything else like it.

Here's a screenshot of it: -

http://i.imgur.com/VV89lN7.jpg

Here's an example of it scratching: -

Combo Gen Sample.mp3

Bear in mind, that scratching was done using an initial set of scratches I gave to the program author nearly 10 years ago so the program could be tested. It still sounds pretty good though, right, given that it's a program scratching and not a person?

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

i've never heard if this before - ill concept!

where can i get the programme from? I still have a laptop running XP pro - if it works on there maybe I can work out how to port the idea to newer platforms too

• Like 1

This looks really nice and I've never seen anything like it or heard about it, definitely help people improve there scratching too, it seems a pretty unique tool shame it didn't take off can't understand why it wouldn't :-)

And the scratches do sound pretty good - no matter how old the program is.

Yeah man. The beauty of it is, with a bit of work you could have it use your own scratches. It's just a shame that it doesn't work beyond Windows XP. It would have taken off if development had continued on it, but it was written by 1 guy who hasn't posted on DV for years.

There's been a couple of threads about this program, but I've just had a look at them and none of the download links work for the program and sample sets (Dub-Se7en made a sample set as well). If someone has it, upload it please and I'll upload it to DV's web space so it's always available.

^^ I think i might still have it installed on my parents latop from when i did that vid. Might be a week or so before i get a chance to grab it..

Yeh that would be great, I had a search too but none of the links work, I think I found an online one but I didn't really get it,

Thanks kut class I have followed her vids but never really did the q and a thing but I think I'll be using them a lot more now to try and help me push on :-)