mixer advice

Hey guys,

For my first post I thought I'd see where you guys stand on mixers.

I got the Rane ttm56 at the moment but I'm getting a second set of decks to go in another room.

The second set is a pair of Vestax Pdx2300 mk 2's. But, I am totally stuck as to which mixer to put between them.

I know there are probably a hundred threads on this topic but I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

My shortlist is -

Allen & Heath xone 02

vestax pmc08 pro

Pioneer djm 909

vestax pmc08 07

rodec scratchbox

I know that's quite a few to choose from but I'd like to know of any particular problem that any of those have. Or any other choice I might have missed.

Sorry for rambling on,and I realize it's as geeky post but I am a geek. Lol

All good pics but quite a variety of prices, eh?

I'd say no to any vestax mixer unless it's one of those 06 mix sticks which are just awesome for throwback appeal.

Xone02 - yes if you put a pro-x in it (probably the most cost effective on your list)

909 - yes if you feel like you need EFX, OK to spend over $1000 and also put a innofader in it.

Scratchbox - This is the best stock mixer on your list IMO. Cons: expensive and no EFX despite the price (which may not matter to you)

^^So I'd get one of those three.

Xone02 for budget pick.

909 for bells and whistles pick.

Scratchbox for best all around pick with no faderswap.

I have a Xone02 and 909 for what it's worth.

Thanks for your reply mate, I've lusted after a 909 for about two years now.

I'll be picking up whichever mixer second hand and hopefully not getting ripped off.

I've heard good things about the rodec . As you say they are all very good choices,looks like I'll be doing a few extra hours at work lol

My friend has or had an 06 for sale so I'll hopefully get that to keep me going while I save up.

My rane needs the crossfader cleaning and lubing,also might pick up new caps for it.

Thanks again for your input mate. :)

keep in mind that the upfaders in the 909 are cheaper alpha faders...in the Xone they are better so i would go for the Scratch box if mobey isnt an issue...there still is effect send/return on it so with a cheap second hand EFX-1000 you got the ultimate analogue mixer set-up imo

im using HaK 380 at the moment and personally i find the Etarnal crossfader the best on the market..i do have an Innofader but i dont feel the need to stick that in since the Eternal is pretty much unbeatable.

Right, sod it. Go big or go home is the thing to do. I reckon im gonna bite the bullet and go for the Rodec, i've taken everyones points into consideration and since id be saving up to buy whichever mixer i choose anyway, i figure i may as well go for the big one. Hopefully id have two top notch mixers once ive cleaned and lubed my 56.

I dont think i would use the effects on the 909 that much anyway, i need something totally rock-solid for cutting with and i think the Rodec is the way to go.

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to put there replies on this subject. Much appretiated guys.

• Like 1

I loved the 909 as a mixer, but hated the faders. At the time, you couldn't put Innofaders in it, but if you can do that now then that would be my choice, but that's only because I would use the built-in effects.

• Like 1

one thing i will say about the scratchbox (i've had one for a couple years now) i love it and im glad i bought it, but as amazing as the fader is for feeling and response (its easiely my fav fader ever) its certainly not as rock solid as a rane or innofader. Also inifinium, the fader maker, are now seemingly out of business, so whereas before you could replace every little part of the fader system for about £15 all in, now you cant buy any replacements or even another whole fader. Unless Behringer bought them out and plan to sell it under a different name.

Ahhhh bugger, that's pretty much the worst thing I could have heard. If anything is important it's the fader.

Maybe pioneer after all.

Guest loop skywalker

What about the TEch d1 ? If its just a second set up..for 129.99 thats gotta be an absolute steal.Im planning on getting one...after i test drive of course.But if its just for scratching ..i wouldnt go too mad on a mixer to be honest. 06 pro x fade/innofader always a winner.

Don't fancy the DJ tech mixer to be honest mate, No headphone mix function like on my rane. Plus, I've wanted the 909 for about three years lol

treat yourself dude. they are solid mixers. If gear is your thing then go for it. I guess the point some people like myself would make is that you don't need to spend a fortune these days to sound like qbert, you just have to have the skills... but we all know that already :-)

Just a heads up on the 909. I love mine but the buttons and screen can be glitchy. Some buttons trigger other buttons or get half stuck under the plate. Or that's how mine is. Started after a couple years. The issues don't make the mixer unusable but for the price paid it seemed like some bullshit. I treat my gear super good too. Always a flight case an only used it out maybe 10 times anyways. Just a heads up man. TBH, I like my xone2 + pro x + pioneer efx better than my setup with the 909. The TR-s1 will be replacing the 909 if that says anything.

The xone does look very Nice, it can be bought for around half the price of a used 909 too. I also like the look of the hak 380 too.

• 4 weeks later...

The Pioneer 707 is dope too, and you can find used one for cheap. It's a great mixer all around, plus it's awesome for cuttin', and the overall sound and build quality is solid. I really liked the fader, even more so than the 56. It's definitely a slept on mixer.