The equivalent of "tone deaf" for DJs

Steve

Some guy posted up on DJF calling himself a "mashup artist" although to be fair to him he did say he was a beginner and he wanted to know how he was doing. Listen to this: -

https://soundcloud.com/dj-nikofiend/99-problems-gone-one-day

I didn't just post this to take the piss out of the guy (although that's one reason), but what advice would you give to someone like this? He can't tell that this shit sounds way off, so where should he start? Other than putting his gear on eBay and finding another hobby that is.

All kids should be taught basic percussion skills by the age of 3. Then car crashes like this can be avoided.

That's said, I like it. I find perfectly sync'ed mash ups overly predictable. This is like being on a journey and having no idea where you'll end up...... And ending up in Herne Bay.

• Like 1

It's possible that if he works at it enough, at some point it'll click. He could just have a very weak part of his brain and this is equivalent to a baby crawling before it can walk...

When I was about 16 every single track I'd done and showed a mate was apparently discordant according to him, but it was more that he listened to everything expecting it to be C major for some reason. Even now I have a mate who says 'your timing is awful' because he has one extremely straight 4/4 rhythm in his head and can't hear rhythm in anything that deviates from it. Both of these people are 'music people'.

It might be a troll job. Steve, you remember when I went on dj forums and called everyone out to a folk mix but then it just became an anything mix. I remember my mix had male stripper in it and also the hovis advert. All mixed out of time with out of time scratch n stuff.

Post a file bitch (That's what you peeps say right...)

I reckon the guy is trolling. That said, Jay Z sounds kinda cool pitched down

Haha, yeah I remember that mate!

It could well be a troll job. He has 13 of those mashups made over the course of 2-3 weeks on his SoundCloud page though. Seems like a lot of effort just for a wind up.

By the sounds of that, I don't think he put in to much time and effort. By that I mean reading and learning about the basics.

I remember when I started my shit was real bad, now its just bad, but I took effort to learn what to do. I think DJing will help him loads dropping another track on beat, learning how to beat match, learning how music is structured, getting the proper levels etc.

He definitely does not have any of the fundamentals, and without them you cant really do much.

The best advice to give him is learn the BASICS. Dont try and make mash ups, which consists of blending and putting together loads of samples etc, when you can't even get two songs to go together.

As Chris said crawl before you can walk.