TTM series tutorials

chile

This is a hugely important concept in scratching... once I understood what Chile was on about with phase shifting and such it made certain stuff way more clear. There were a lot of scratches I was doing different phases of here and there but I didn't really think of there being multiple phases and nearly every scratch having different phase options. The biggest breakthrough for me was with chirps. I would almost always do them starting forwards and with the forward part falling on the downbeats, or I might start them reverse but with the chirps still falling in the same place on the beat. After getting my head around this stuff I realized there were a zillion more variations of chirps just by starting the reverses on the downbeats instead of the forwards, and I basically never did them because I just never thought to before. It changes the way you think about scratching.

• Like 1

^^ agrred, tom x2k did a great article ages ago on his blog about reverse and mirror, which I think compliments this approach in terms of thinking about using notation to reinvent ur existing scratch. Also yoshi's delayed flare vid is another good example of adapting ur cuts.

btw this is totally excellent chile , i will definatley be printing off and sticking on my wall. I need to get some ttm scripts so i can keep a proper scrap book of cuts.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Guest petesasqwax

yeah, this is huge. one of the most important concepts in advancing your cutting, i think, and the beauty of it is - you can do the cuts already; all you need to do is think differently about them.