Is there anyone here that doesn't get this image?

Steve

it must vary from house hold to house hold. like my brother is 21. and while he never made tapes he still knows what they are what they do etc.

he might be even able to get what the pencil does. he likes music (most of it shite) but he's not well into it or musical or anything. maybe its just retards, not the young.

fwiw, my brother is probly as clever as doppelkorn tho.

At least soon we can cheer (well at least I will) the demise of the CD.

Shitty format, never liked it and now it's days are well and truly numbered....

Edit: Maybe I should start making pencil cases, socks and plant pots with pictures of CDs on them so I can clean up in 10 years time.

Edited by assemblyworker
  • Like 2

I like CDs. I can rip a CD to any format/bitrate of my choosing, while still retaining ownership of the actual disc. I don't like buying digital downloads, cos your collection of 1,000 digital albums is worth precisely £0. While a lot of CDs are worth bugger all, some of them can be worth loads. Even stuff you wouldn't expect, like the early Now That's What I Call Music albums which go for hundreds of pounds on eBay, for example: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Now-Thats-What-I-Call-Music-Volume-4-CD-1984-VERY-RARE-15-Track-COLLECTORS-ITEM-/251207355892?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item3a7d200df4

Literally the only advantage a digital download has is instant(ish) delivery. I'm not in that much of a rush though. :p

Oh, and here's what the pencil is for for those that really don't know: -

When you were out with your boombox, it would usually take 6, 8 or even 10 big ass batteries, so you wanted them to last as long as possible. Rewinding or fast forwarding, particularly if you wanted to do a whole side, would suck up juice, so you would hit eject, stick the pencil in one of the "holes" of the cassette, then hold the pencil and spin the cassette on it, which rewinds or fast forwards the tape depending on which hole you stuck the pencil in and which way you span it.

Yeah I'd agree that the physical ness of a CD is good thing, my ill feeling towards cd's is more to do with the fact that I was just getting into vinyl when CD's became proper main stream and being a dum silly young dj I felt it was cool to hate on them, stupid I know but because of that I've never really used CD's. Back then they were more pricey than vinyl and I couldn't do fuck all dj'n with them. It's actually only in recent years and going digital with DVS I've started to buy them, I always grab one at gigs and ebay/discogs has been a great source filling gaps in my collection. Plus now there generally half the price of vinyl and more use too, beatgridding vinyl rips in Traktor is a mixed success story.

Haha, yeah, the vinyl versions are worth dick all. Even the original one in mint condition only goes for £10-£15 in mint condition.

As a collector I have more love for vinyl, but I do still like CDs. I have a few that are signed by the artists too, which obviously you could never do with a download.

Oh, and here's what the pencil is for for those that really don't know: -

When you were out with your boombox, it would usually take 6, 8 or even 10 big ass batteries, so you wanted them to last as long as possible. Rewinding or fast forwarding, particularly if you wanted to do a whole side, would suck up juice, so you would hit eject, stick the pencil in one of the "holes" of the cassette, then hold the pencil and spin the cassette on it, which rewinds or fast forwards the tape depending on which hole you stuck the pencil in and which way you span it.

Huh, that didn't occur to me. I assumed it was

to wind a loose tape in, which I seem to remember doing most days. I had that Walkman that was pretty much ubiquitous in the mid 90s that seemed to leave tapes loose as its calling card.

I think a lot of 90s kids will, because the amount of people that say 'omg totally' when this does the rounds on facebook from time to time will never have - either through age or social group -

owned a boom box, or at least certainly not taken it out on batteries