Stickering your skipless reccords

motosega

How do you sticker skipless records?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. where do you put your stickers?

• 12 O'clock
    • Stylus
    • Somewhere else

from the beginning i just stickered mine at the stylus, it seemed logical, since it physicaly corresponds with the sound,

but now i've been seeing videos of people with stickers at 12'oclock and asking myself why?

3 O'clock is just too crazy for me to even comprehend.

i hope i'm not missing some subtle secret.

Dont think it really matters, just down to what ya used to.

Does having the sticker in needle position move a bit with different headshell or concord setups?

i line it up with the actual needle so its always the same. even if i switch to between straight and s-shaped tone arms.

if you sticker at 12-oclock there must be a bit of a change between straight arm decks and technics.

^^Yeah, there is. When I used to play gigs, I had my records stickered at the needle for that very reason, cos I had PDX-2000s and sometimes I'd have to use 1200s.

yeh i noticed this. i've always been a 12oclock man. i still am. but on my 1210s i added a little green sticker for a straight arm reference point, incase i'd put a stick on while using a pdx.

altho thinking about it, i dont have that pdx anymore, so i can forget about this problem!

So the sticker position does move, but with the stylus, which is gotta be good for the first sample at least.

I find that going from straight to S-shaped tonearms only becomes a bit frustrating with samples like "cut like a guillotine" as the position of the individual letters/samples gets burnt in to your memory on one set up and then ya gotta compensate on another, which would still be the same for stylus sticker types, bar the first sample of course, which I guess must be nice to have across all set ups, but not really enough to make think I'm missing out on anything,

Dont think it really matters, just down to what ya used to.

Does having the sticker in needle position move a bit with different headshell or concord setups?

i line it up with the actual needle so its always the same. even if i switch to between straight and s-shaped tone arms.

if you sticker at 12-oclock there must be a bit of a change between straight arm decks and technics.

So obvious when you see it in black and white, but I never thought of that.

I started at 12 o'clock, but switched to 3 o'clock when I got my first skipless record (superseal) - I stuck my sticker at 12 o'clock on the first sound... but the first sound was "beep" so the "aaah" I always used ended up at 3 o'clock.

Strickly speaking, my scratch records aren't just at 12 and 3 either... they're stickered at 11, 12 and 1 o'clock and 2, 3, and 4 o'clock depending on wether I'm scratching on a straight arm PDX or 1200 and wether they were stickered up on a PDX or 1200.

Which pisses me off... I could have avoided all this just by cueing to the needle every time.

3 sticker colour system FTW, all relative to the needle

i'm starting to juggle at the moment, so i'm interested in this, as far as i understand, with three stickers they line up with the beats @100bpm.

i've been juggling beats that i have pitched up to 133.33bpm in the audio file then pitched down again on the turntable, that way i get a sticker at the beggining of each bar. but i suppose you can't go verry far down on technics. i have ttx. (is that actualy cheating or just sneaky?)

i'm starting to juggle at the moment, so i'm interested in this, as far as i understand, with three stickers they line up with the beats @100bpm.

i've been juggling beats that i have pitched up to 133.33bpm in the audio file then pitched down again on the turntable, that way i get a sticker at the beggining of each bar. but i suppose you can't go verry far down on technics. i have ttx. (is that actualy cheating or just sneaky?)

Yes 3 stickers will line up perfectly for 100BPM, but are also still useful from a range of ~90-110BPM, and since most beats I juggle are in that range I keep my records stickered like that.

The pitching to 133.33bpm works but so far from my experimentations I've found it kind of hard to do a lot of things because the sounds (especially <1/4 note) are soo close together so it's a bit limiting in that sense. The main way that it helps is being able to chase through the record and still have visual cues, but it's already possible to do that without visual cues anyways. So overall I feel like it's a bit of a crutch and more limiting than helpful but there might be some merit, I have to try it more.

i'm in the process of editing some beats for juggling, for beats thaty are originaly closer to 100bpm it dosent make sense to take them all the way to 133bpm, then pitch them down again (~24%) so i'm putting them at 100bpm.

i'll try 100bpm and three stickers and see how i get on.

i saw you mentioned on the site of vinilificio in bologna, do you really get your dubs cut here in italy?

i'm in the process of editing some beats for juggling, for beats thaty are originaly closer to 100bpm it dosent make sense to take them all the way to 133bpm, then pitch them down again (~24%) so i'm putting them at 100bpm.

i saw you mentioned on the site of vinilificio in bologna, do you really get your dubs cut here in italy?

haha whaat? I don't think so... I've only gotten dubplates from 1 place over seas and it was UK

Guest Symatic

lining up with stylus probably makes most sense, but ive always gone for 12oclock, and ive got pdx2300's with j arms, so they conveniently end up in the same position as on a technics.

haha whaat? I don't think so... I've only gotten dubplates from 1 place over seas and it was UK

have a look! on the seccond image that flashes up on the home page.

http://www.vinilificio.com/