Doob - Scratch Freestyle

d00ban

yeh i go back on forth on the matter lol. i know what you mean, for me its a balance, on the one hand i like to keep things simple, esp for mixes, and i appreciate simple cuts done well for sure. but i then like to move on pretty sharpish, this is when im on my own tho. for scratch band at sss, im all about keeping it simple to make sure it fits.

I've notived tho if i do something and find it easy, i'll look for something to make it harder on myself. Im not sure why. its fucking stupid, but i've always done it. even at work.... i now draw with no toolbars on so i had to memories all the key board shortcuts and i've made my crosshair icons too small to see, so i have to remember what im trying to snap to.

im not talking production over patterns, im talking about something that actually sounds decent. why is the pattern so important!?

its like the randy quote in my sig. so what you can do the most technical ttm, if it sounds over the top, and just noisey, i dont want to hear it, and i wont say its 'dope' if you post a file demonstrating it.

I think Randy's point in that quote is that you shouldn't rehearse set patterns people have ttm'd and just recite them in different orders but be versatile and truly freestyle and cut with 'funk', which could be something mental or something simple. The patterns over production argument refers to custom record routines where DJs make up for their lack of versatility by editing their records or using power sounds to hide that they can't do very much or to give the illusion they're doing more. Having patterns to me means being versatile and being able to freestyle and not use your sample choice or edited records as a fallback. Without patterns all you have is baby scratching with a sample. You might have an interesting sample, but all you're doing is baby scratching, know what I mean? You can make an ahh sound totally funky too, at the end of the day it just comes down to your scratching ability. Using a different sample is nice to hear, but it's soon evident that a person can't scratch if they lack patterns/versatility.

Basically, if you don't want to cut with an ahh then don't, but it doesn't make you any better, it's just a sound you choose to manipulate.

I'm not directing 'yous' at you personally, I'm using it as a replacement for the old fashioned 'one' (e.g. 'one is not amused').

yeh man i get what you're saying, and i know it not personal, none of this thread has been.

Basically, if you don't want to cut with an ahh then don't, but it doesn't make you any better, it's just a sound you choose to manipulate.

totally, im not saying it makes you better or worse, just it seems at the moment, not using ahh, would make you're file different. from a purely personal point of view.

i fully encourage people to come up with decent patterns/combos with all different samples. and yeh also, i know what you're talking about when battle djs hide shit with customs. im not sure the same rule can applied when talking about scratch files tho, as its not about hiding anything, its about showing a off a nice bit of cutting. no matter what skill level.