Mixing Beats ....

d00ban

Yep GLK seems really sloppy with his transitions live, but his selection really makes up for it. I'm pretty sure his mixtapes are multitracked, but I may be wrong. The Gaslamp Killers mix isn't him mixing either, hence why it sounds really different to all his later mixes. It's just his song selection.

GLK does some horrendous mixing but just styles it out and balances it with some dope mixing and nice freestyle bits

I taught him everything he knows.

I always feel like echoing out is a bit of a cop out.

I'm just a massive twat who's too scared to record any of my mixes basically as I'm (probably) over critical haha

Do a manual echo out then... with the record and volume fader.. I used to do that a lot. Or reverse it. Just change it up. I'm not real great at mixing either so feel ya Doob. Serato is easier tho cause you have a visual reference to see your drifting (and if it's less or more).. you don't even really have to use headphones with serato TBH.

or use mixed in key to tag all your tunes then sort folders by bpm and/or key to really move fast.

I have mine tagged but don't pay much mind for DJing... more did it for Ableton than anything. I still use headphones anyways tho... I just like having a reference. But some my friends dont ever... they also do all their own edits and mashups for everything they play out (career DJs) So they know exactly what to expect from an intro etc in their set.

There is a free one too. If you want me to I can ask my friend who uses it. I didn't know before... happy with MIK but they are also dicks... charge for upgrades... I have v1 or 2 and they want me to pay $50... on v4 now.

Did you actually test mixed in key? Have you used it extensively? I have and I can tell you even if it does get a few wrong, they're not so far out that the mix sounds terrible... to be honest I've never had any complaints with it. To the point that Jimmy can come round my house, mix with my tunes that he doesn't know and make decent mixes if the rhythms line up. I play hip hop, funk, soul, beats, bass and a bit of house. Just saying, it's defo not a waste of time, especially if you have a lot of tunes. It just gives you a way out if you're stuck sometimes. I try not to rely on it too much but it's nice to have the option there.

its always worked and sounded good for me.

the times i have put it to the test - using my flatmate who knows keys by ear & against a whole range of different music - mixed in key has got it right. i've even compared it to the original key like you mentioned.

what music are you using it with?

also all my mixes on soundcloud are 'in key' according to mixed in key and no one has ever said they dont sound right, in fact the opposite.

and yeh, what doob says, its a massive help if you dont know what the tracks are you're mixing with. i like it.

I haven't used it for my mixing. I've used it for mostly for old soul, jazz and library music to make thing easier when I sampling them. But keys didn't match the songs. So I test it with my tracks and loaded about ten of them. One or two were correct and others were not.

Guest Symatic

that would kinda make sense - alot of old samples are tricky to get into key as they have either weird notes in the first place, or the recording techniques introduce some element of weirdness that makes it slightly out of tune. eg tape being stretched or the motor of the tape deck being wonky. or maybe the room they recorded in had a funny mode.

Guest Symatic

the mode of a room is its resonant frequency. most sitting room resonate strongly at around 50hz for example.

i didnt mean 'funny mode' like when you take loads of your drug-pills and act cray cray. fuckin druggie.

• Like 1