Mixing Beats ....

d00ban

Is hard.

There's so many tempo's and different rhythms, not to mention it being pretty off kilter. I end up having to echo out or just scratch in / drop tracks pretty sharpish. How else can you mix this stuff?

Low End Theory etc seem to use a lot of effects and that, which I don't have too much access to live which is a shame.

Guest Symatic

yeah its much easier once you have serato! just echo that shit out. now i listen back to a bunch of stuff like low end theory its blatanly been serato'd.

I think one of the cool things about this music is its turntablist aesthetic, so a dodyg wind-down or manual echo out actaully works quite well.

listen to madlibs beat konducta albums -they just drift in and out all over the place. no big deal.

If anything its made me respect decent drop-ins rather than long mixes. the tunes often change so much within a few seconds that long mixes arent possible anyway. plus the mega compression most producers use make mixing difficult anyway.

• Like 1

Definitely second the mega compression issue. The biggest problem with this kind of music in my book is that when you play two tracks together their relative difference makes it painfully obvious how terrible they both sound from an engineering perspective. Not all tracks of course, but a decent chunk sound pretty terrible when taken out of their aesthetic bubble...

whats the given definition of 'beats' as a genre?

i generally argee with Sy. remember that hiphop night we went to with Gilla playing, and we were talking about he was just start-stop mixing and cos they were wicked tracks, even we didnt care.

so yeh man, worry less.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

Om unit makes much more straightforward beats and mixes for a long time like his World Is Simply A Mirror mix, wheras in his,Kper & clockworks 'boombab continuum' mix theres alot more echo outs and scratch outs which allow for more diversity with the tempo.

in a way its a good way to remind you that DJ'ing is about tunes more than its about mixing.

Do you know what a "boris" is, d00b? Perhaps it was called something different in your area when you were at school. It's where you get someone in a headlock, then you rub your fist on their head so that it hurts. That's what I feel like doing to you every time I read one of these threads. lol.

If you are over-critical all the time, you'll never put anything out - can't have a DVer doing that now, can we? ;) I've heard a couple of old mixes from you and they were good, so I find it hard to believe you've got worse. It's more like you're nit-picking everything, like you're putting the mix under a microscope. It's good to have high standards, but not when you have impossibly high ones. I would rather hear your mix and critique that, cos I'm willing to bet it'll be a lot better than you think.

• Like 2

Haha steve! We used to call em Nuggies.

I've literally been working on a fonk mix last week or so and nearly got it all sorted. I'm just gonna do it live in a few takes and keep the best one.

Hopefully once I've got the ball rolling I'll stop being so scared :z

• Like 2

Check this mix by Blue Daisy. He does some cool transitions in this. I guess it's his own music though so he can do that (although I'm not sure if it all his or not?)

http://www.rbmaradio.com/shows/blue-daisy-live-at-tempo-clash-run-vie-2012

From what I remember he mixes on ableton so probably warps his transitions a bit.

Unless it's more mix friendly with traditional 8 bar structures I tend to chop mix, use fx or use cue points to emulate traditional 8 bar structures. I basically treat 'beats' as I would mix standard hip hop.

• Like 1

For ideas on mixing, I say watch as many vids of J Rocc live as you can... if you can get past the bad sound quality and ignore some of the more complex juggles/rearrangements, they're packed with so many simple but effective ways to transition between two tracks.

Not sure if this one's particularly good, but it's the first one I found...

Guest Symatic

@ Jon sounds cool. I wish I had better FX on my 57.. I know I've technically got them but they're a right ball ache to operate.

thats cool mate, i'll happily take it off your hands if youre not gonna use it! you can have my numark sm1 yeah?

Fuck off Sy you ain't having my 57! Although I'm worried the head phone port is on it's way out at the min. It's defo ain't sounding right. Need to test it with some other heads phones though, narrow down the possibilities.

... Referring to your earlier comment, aren't low end theory podcasts all multitracked? They sound it to me with the amount of effects that get used in em.

Well GLK defo multi tracks his man. it's obvious!

I do like the vibe he generates in his mixes with all the wierd samples in the back ground and shit

EDIT:

May be not, although I'm still not sure i believe him!

that VCA thing looks dope