Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer

Steve

What's the final word on this thing? I'm mixer shopping but unfortunately I don't think I can justify a Rane 62.

I'm tempted to just go Rane-56s. I have an Audio 8 kicking around in a cupboard I could use. I want to get cutting again but still have a mixer I won't want to change for a long time (hence the reliable good sounding Rane is perfect).

I'm worried this Kontrol thing will be like a Vestax - all shiny but shit (remember I am still the original Vestax hater). Can't help feeling NI are a bunch of cunts too, for some reason.

For reference, the Scratchbox was the nicest mixer I ever cut on.

I asked Native Instruments if the new faceplates they'll be sending out have been redesigned and they said they can't confirm that. I hope they have, as it seems pointless replacing like with like. That skin posted above looks good, but will it look as good in real life compared to that photo?

BTW, how do you use the effects when you're using regular vinyl? I read that you can do it (I think Paul mentioned it on here), but I don't know how. Cheers.

I've got one of their skins on my old 707 - when I got it out the envelope it just looked like a sticker but once on the mixer it just looks like it's part of a flash new faceplate... it kind of just makes any faceplate like a Rane one, same finish and cut tolerances are really good.

For Traktor fx with real vinyl just press the Traktor button on the top the mixer like you're gonna use DVS, then on the screen click the tab on the top left corner of the deck you want to use - apart from the usual 'track deck' and 'remix deck' options there is also a 'live input' option - click that and you're away.

What's the final word on this thing? I'm mixer shopping but unfortunately I don't think I can justify a Rane 62.

I'm tempted to just go Rane-56s. I have an Audio 8 kicking around in a cupboard I could use. I want to get cutting again but still have a mixer I won't want to change for a long time (hence the reliable good sounding Rane is perfect).

I'm worried this Kontrol thing will be like a Vestax - all shiny but shit (remember I am still the original Vestax hater). Can't help feeling NI are a bunch of cunts too, for some reason.

For reference, the Scratchbox was the nicest mixer I ever cut on.

Firstly the Rane 56 is my favourite all time mixer, I honestly don't think there's ever been a better built and designed dj product. But personally I couldn't go back to not having software controls in-between my decks. I love my Z2 but I'm not convinced it'll stand the test of time, especially compared to Rane. If having a wealth of software features at your finger tips isn't as important to as having a hi quality mixer then you gotta go for the rane, but I will say that as good as interface the Audio8 is the Z2 really destroys it when comes to scratching with DVS.

Is a secondhand 57sl not an option?

I hear where ya coming from when comparing Vestax to NI, both are great at making potentially game changing products that are generally nobbled by the large company cost cutting department. If your not a Traktor bum bandit like myself it seems to be fashionable to hate on the german mothership. I've never got the NI are cunts thing, I get good quality free shit from them every year, 50% discounts on top products around black friday and regular chunky feature upgrades, in 5 years of using Traktor I've only ever had to pay for one update that cost £50.

....Can't help feeling NI are a bunch of cunts too, for some reason.

For reference, the Scratchbox was the nicest mixer I ever cut on....

Deft is my new favourite DV member.

as you sound like me Deft - FWIW the only mixer i wish i had instead of the SB is a Rane Empath rotary.

Paul, Matt - have you ordered skinz for yours yet? i assume you both settled for pink.

....Can't help feeling NI are a bunch of cunts too, for some reason.

For reference, the Scratchbox was the nicest mixer I ever cut on....

Deft is my new favourite DV member.

as you sound like me Deft - FWIW the only mixer i wish i had instead of the SB is a Rane Empath rotary.

Paul, Matt - have you ordered skinz for yours yet? i assume you both settled for pink.

No one gives a shit what mixer you want Jimmy!

Jim - so you'll happily let the SB go for the opportunity to get ya hands on 3 big knobs?

Z2 Skinz I'm torn between white/black or brushed metal, anything will be better than it's current gloss centre piece! Gonna have to wait for now due to van falling apart, recent holidays and cunty tax bill. I think Matt is torn between brown down the middle with a pink top, or beige down the middle with a purple top.