Jon's DMC Online Set

Jon

Although I posted this in the DMC Online Final Videos thread I felt a bit bad hi-jacking the thread to ask DV for feedback, so I've created a separate post for that here.

Here's my routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8qgBFN5Jg_8

I developed it between February and July this year. My technical aims were to really push my juggling, bodytricks and my routine composition, trying to show off a variety of techniques using a wide range of styles and tempos across the six minutes while making the routine listenable as a stand alone piece of music by using songs I play in my DJ sets ranging from old to new songs. I also used the set at the UK Final but had a couple of small slipups, and my crossfader cap flew off the mixer during my final scratching routine (the one before the Simon Says routine).

I'd really like to hear everyone's honest criticism and if there's areas people think I can improve on please let me know. I still don't know whether I'll be battling again next year but I'll be still building and uploading routines.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon

yer timing was good with the juggling jon. Which is usually the reason juggling sounds like a pile of pish. Alot of people have atrocious timing. Even those known to be good jugglers

I got a tip for you though. Set them fucking turntables higher!!

x

I got a tip for you though. Set them fucking turntables higher!!

x

Haha- I normally do, but recorded this at a friend's workplace so we could use their cameras, and this was the only table we could find unfortunately. Thanks for watching mate.

Yep, anything related to serato goes now in the six minutes as long as it's contained to your laptop or the controls on the rane 57, which is the alternative to using the old technics mixer at the live events. The online competition allows for all equipment, but as the main prize is to compete in the world online final, you'd have to condense your set so that it can be performed on a rane 57 and a laptop if you'd previously used samplers or controllers.

Yep anything goes related to serato now in the six minutes as long as it's contained to laptop/rane 57. The online competition allows all equipment too.

That's kind of absurd, isn't it? I mean, what's the difference between triggering samples with your laptop keys or with a pad controller?

I don't necessarily think it's that, I think it's more a loophole that the organisers didn't realise they were creating through a lack of understanding about what DVS was/is.

I think you should shut up!

As for your set jon, its wank!

only playing!

i liked how seemless it was, some dmc tend not to flow very well, but yours really did, and the your cuts have a nice style to them, and its nice to see that arent just all flares like most dmc djs these days.

also you can really tell you've been putting the time and effort into juggling! its nice to see. :)

I don't necessarily think it's that, I think it's more a loophole that the organisers didn't realise they were creating through a lack of understanding about what DVS was/is.

I really want them to allow the 61/62 in addition to the 57, but I think it's a case of renting them from rane/elsewhere as I know they have to rent most of their equipment for live shows.

I think you should shut up!

As for your set jon, its wank!

only playing!

i liked how seemless it was, some dmc tend not to flow very well, but yours really did, and the your cuts have a nice style to them, and its nice to see that arent just all flares like most dmc djs these days.

also you can really tell you've been putting the time and effort into juggling! its nice to see. :)

Thanks Jimmy :)

the hair was by far the strongest part of the set

I did it for you gorgeous.

all praise the inventor of the "fuck you" scratch!

you murdered those chirps!

and I loved the juggle from 4:00 - that really was making music!

Cheers Yoshi,

As far as I know, I've not seen someone do the pitching stuff at 2:57 before. I push the platter round with my thumb to pitch the sample, while cueing the sample with my fingers. I'm hoping that gets me kudos?

^^ lol #kudospoints for jon

yeah , i've heard before (quite a few times LOL!) and its a good routine. When you start comparing that to others sets and going through the list it is SO refreshing to actually hear music rather than blaring, out of time, buzz click werrr, shit. I think the final diss says it all in your routine.

super solid and flowed really well. transitions and interludes were perceived as an intent rather than a compromise. i dont have anything to offer in the way of criticisms because youre technically on a level far beyond myself, but i did notice towards the end of the first juggle it seemed you were losing the rhythm. could have just been because you were showing off many different patterns and phrasing there that no rhythm was achieved... or it could be that i just dont know what im talking about.

Glad you liked the set man!

i did notice towards the end of the first juggle it seemed you were losing the rhythm. could have just been because you were showing off many different patterns and phrasing there that no rhythm was achieved... or it could be that i just dont know what im talking about.

I can def understand this. As I'd been listening to that juggle loads as I made it, I'm obviously used to the different patterns and maybe I should have stressed the change up between the trick mixing section and the breakdown type juggle section in that first routine. The drag at 0:25 seconds sounded longer in my head when I recorded: I was aiming for it to sound like a really slow drag to stress that a change was about to happen, but I kind of performed it a bit too fast in this take.

^^ lol #kudospoints for jon

yeah , i've heard before (quite a few times LOL!) and its a good routine. When you start comparing that to others sets and going through the list it is SO refreshing to actually hear music rather than blaring, out of time, buzz click werrr, shit. I think the final diss says it all in your routine.

Thanks again for all your feedback over the last few months mate. You and Vekked saved me from going mad I think!

• 2 weeks later...