Battle for Canadian Vekpremacy

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which juggle should I keep working on?

• Classical Juggle
    • Gimme What You Got Juggle

Ok so I need some help figuring out what my best juggles are because I like them all and they're probably all wack.

I'm going to do king of the hill type thing... I'll post 2 juggles at a time and if you guys could just vote the one you like best. Most aren't completely finished, I'm trying to eliminate the ones without potential so I can just pursue my best ideas. Try to disregard slightly sloppiness if possible and judge the better routine rather than the better take.

Just the juggle, not the scratch routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3x-vQ4OdYM

VERSUS THE CHALLENGER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VE9mkxDS78

Comments about anything particularly good/not good are appreciated too.

Guest Symatic

first one is the better set overall. i like the fact its all orchestral samples. and that first one is just really big sounding. the second one has some cool ideas but isnt as 'impressive' copared. i like the pause/record off at 0:29, but as its just a bass sound with not much high frequencies it isnt as effective as it could be. - as in you get a 'brrrow' instead of a dzzeow' if that makes any sense!

i liked the triplet switch up, which sounded like a motown tune or something, but im not sure if it would cut through in a battle and might be lost on some of the less nerdy audience members.

either way, dope styles dude!

cool, thanks for the feedback man, great!

ok cool thanks. Yea the first routine is more of a "finished routine" the 2nd is a skeleton sort of, mostly going for that triplet chase at the end, I've been working on it but it doesn't really sound right on many beats... this one the bass line works pretty decently, but I could refine some of the snare fills still. I also wasn't sure about doing the pattern on the actual vocals either, not sure if it sounds good still or it's better with just the break.

Guest Symatic

you should def drop in some of the vocals, just to show that ita a real tune and not a breaks record. i think you could get more out of it by switching between the different notes - cos the bass line goes up a few keys on the 2nd bar.

maybe try one record on the first bar and one on the second to get some weird new bassline

you should def drop in some of the vocals, just to show that ita a real tune and not a breaks record. i think you could get more out of it by switching between the different notes - cos the bass line goes up a few keys on the 2nd bar.

maybe try one record on the first bar and one on the second to get some weird new bassline

mmm good idea, I could start the chase with the left record a few bars later... I'll mess wit it

I went with the first set too. As much as I enjoyed the second one, the first is just more supremacy-oriented, with the orchestral sample and the whole "in your face" feeling. I honestly think you might have a chance at the world title, particularly if the competition is as weak as it was last year.

• Like 1

I went with the first set too. As much as I enjoyed the second one, the first is just more supremacy-oriented, with the orchestral sample and the whole "in your face" feeling. I honestly think you might have a chance at the world title, particularly if the competition is as weak as it was last year.

Damn, thanks man, I gotta try at least! I'm gonna be putting as much time as I can in for the next few months that's for sure... IDA is coming to Canada this year as well... Hope I can get through this round of DMC online and give that a shot too.

Not trying to add up any pressure, but Nelson won, why can't you, lol? When is the supremacy battle, anyway?

yea omg... don't get me started on that idiot.

Oh I just named the thread Vekpremacy for no specific reason not cuz it's for Supremacy specifically, I might add whatever juggle is best to my 6 minute as well... there is no Canadian DMC Supremacy, I would have to win the showcase in order to go. Or maybe fly my own way there if whoever wins Canada chooses not to do supremacy. Hoping I can just win Canada tho, since there's a Rane 62 up top this year :d

Oh, allright, then it's definitely harder to grab the title, but still worth the try. Just don't pussy out last minute and send Jooce instead, ahah. But if you do win the showcase, can't you just enter both?

Oh, allright, then it's definitely harder to grab the title, but still worth the try. Just don't pussy out last minute and send Jooce instead, ahah. But if you do win the showcase, can't you just enter both?

yep that's the plan, win showcase Canada, enter showcase/supremacy at the World

Word, yea that's a dece juggle, I think you should get on your mid-90s US DMC/ITF video grind if that's one of the best juggles you've ever seen though ;). Not that it's wack or anything but it's a very very standard breakdown style juggle.

I just found the the instrumental online, I'll mess with it for a week or so and see if I can put my skills where my mouf is, lol

Word, yea that's a dece juggle, I think you should get on your mid-90s US DMC/ITF video grind if that's one of the best juggles you've ever seen though ;). Not that it's wack or anything but it's a very very standard breakdown style juggle.

I just found the the instrumental online, I'll mess with it for a week or so and see if I can put my skills where my mouf is, lol

Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I loved the sound of the juggle at the :50 mark. I don't think I've heard that in all the DMC videos I've seen. I'll have to take another look. From what I know, the masters of jugglers would be the likes of P-Trix, Eclipse, Raida, Babu, Rob Swift, Akakabe, and some others I'm sure.

Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I loved the sound of the juggle at the :50 mark. I don't think I've heard that in all the DMC videos I've seen.

Yea that's a cool pattern, it's not super over-used but it's in some classic stuff still. P-Trix does it a lot in both of his De La routines in the 99 worlds, but he's flipping a lot of different rhythms, not just half-time swing. J slim does it in 2000 as well in his Prince juggle I believe. Probably the most extreme example I can think of off hand is Kid Sid in 2005, that's basically his favourite technique that year, he does it like a dozen times in his routine, haha. I know he does it in his Xzibit juggle and his MJ juggle, lol.

I'll have to take another look. From what I know, the masters of jugglers would be the likes of P-Trix, Eclipse, Raida, Babu, Rob Swift, Akakabe, and some others I'm sure.

Yea those are some of the big ones, but the US was staaacked from like 96-2001... like 75% of any U.S. final had someone busting classic juggles. A lot of guys who were 1 hit wonders kinda or guys who had a few nice routines but were overshadowed by the allies a lot of times.

p.s. vote in the poll before this gets too derailed :p

the second juggle is more my style but I also agree that the first one is "big" sounding, I say defo work on both if that's any help (which it probably isn't lol) :)

Haha yea doesn't help too much but at least I know one doesn't completely murk the other.

any vids?

There's a vid on youtube just called "DJ J-Slim" or something, there's a really good version on there... one of the best juggling vids period. Everyone thinks of him as the "if you step up you get hurt" guy, but he's also a GOAT juggler technically and stylistically.

Thx for the votes guys. I would like to get at least 10 so keep em coming... if it ends up being a tie I might tie break off DV. I have the next set ready for the winner of this already.

i may be biased on the first juggle because its the goonies score, but it is very solid regardless... however, the second juggle may be more accessible to a battle crowd. i dunno. its difficult for me to decide since it does seem apparent that the second juggle isnt entirely finished.

i may be biased on the first juggle because its the goonies score, but it is very solid regardless... however, the second juggle may be more accessible to a battle crowd. i dunno. its difficult for me to decide since it does seem apparent that the second juggle isnt entirely finished.

yea the classical juggle is 100% finished, the other juggle is like 80%... the last 30 seconds or so where I switch up the rhythm is basically freestyle, I'd use that rhythm but I'd compose the fills and switch ups a bit more, maybe see if I can work out some other variations using the same style

thanks for the reply tho! damn maybe I need to just put the next routine and hope it makes it easier to decide LOL.